| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: running and hydrating
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:01 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I am to the point where I need to carry water with me during my runs and was curious as to what other people use and enjoy. How difficult is it to just carry a bottle in hand? Does anyone use a camelbak and like it? I do a good bit of trail running so I'd need something fairly secure that won't bounce all over the place. I am not really excited by any of the options I've seen, but I imagine once you get used to something it isn't so bothersome.
Thanks y'all.

Panda With Cookie

Post subject: Re: running and hydrating
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:19 pm 
Dead by dawn

I don't personally like carrying anything in my hands. I have a fuel belt with two 10 oz bottles that sit kinda below my kidneys. I'm not bothered by the bouncing/sloshing. The belt sort of finds a place where the bouncing is minimized and you get used to it. The bottles leak a tiny bit - like I can feel a few drops of water on the backs od my calves. Works for me, although I'm not trail running so that might make it too bouncy for you. I have a camelbak that I used to use on the bike, but I've never tried running with it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:22 pm 
Nailed to the V

I tried a fuel belt & hated it, because my arms swing low & hit them. I also thought it didn't carry much water for all the bulk of it.

I exchanged it for an Amphipod bottle (20oz) w/ hand strap & that lasts me about 6 miles before I need a refill.
Not as annoying as I imagined. Can hold a key/credit card.

Now, I have a Camelbak Octane (70oz) which has a lumbar bladder, but still has shoulder straps that has made it 18 miles.
A little sloshy, but not bad. Can hold food/phone/mace.

I went to a trail running clinic & they recommended the old school Camelbak w/ no bells & whistles. I don't think they make that kind anymore.

Basically, if I know where water fountains are, I take the Amphipod. If I don't, I bring the Camelbak.
Hopefully when the weather cools, hydration won't be as much of an issue. I still drink more than most people, I think.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:35 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I use a Nathan belt with 2 10 oz bottles--this works for me for 2-hour runs (I haven't run longer than that...). A little bit of leakage, similar to what monkeytoes reported.

I've thought about a hydration pack, when and if I go to longer runs, but I read some reviews and saw that some people had issues with chafing. So in the winter I wouldn't have any problems, but I'd be afraid in the summer. Even a singlet tank top with a loose armhole will cause me to chafe on my arm.

I hate carrying things in my hands, so no water bottles for me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:41 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I've tried but I can't get used to carrying anything with me, so what I do for longer runs (10+ miles) is I plan my route in 5 mile loops and stash water along the route.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:50 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have used a fuel belt, but I only bring it for runs longer than 10 miles. Shorter than that and I hold a small bottle. I plan on getting a hand strapped bottle soon.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:57 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Thanks for all your input. I think i will check out a fuel belt type thing and the camelbak and see if I prefer one. There aren't any water fountains on my routes and unfortunately no way to stash a bottle in advance without hiring the local bear population to carry it out for me. I really dislike running the same path on longer runs, so I'm doing long loops that only have one point of car access at the start.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:39 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I always carry water (I'm a thirsty person!) and for short runs I use a handheld water bottle. Sometimes my arm/shoulder starts to hurt from carrying it, so I try to switch hands throughout the run. It bothered me at first but now I am used to it and really like it.
For my longer runs I started wearing a camelback and surprisingly I like it a lot more than I thought it would. It bounces a little but it's not bothersome.
I just bought one of those waist belts that holds a single bottle in the back and I HATE it. I couldn't figure out a good position for it and it just bounced the entire time. I really wanted to like it because it seemed like the best in between option.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:44 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

luftpost wrote:
I always carry water (I'm a thirsty person!) and for short runs I use a handheld water bottle. Sometimes my arm/shoulder starts to hurt from carrying it, so I try to switch hands throughout the run. It bothered me at first but now I am used to it and really like it.
For my longer runs I started wearing a camelback and surprisingly I like it a lot more than I thought it would. It bounces a little but it's not bothersome.

This. Even 3-miles I usually carry water.

I have this guy for under 10 miles: http://www.amazon.com/Nathan-Quickdraw-Handheld-22-Ounce-Carrier/dp/B000NHLHU2

And this guy for longer runs: http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Packs/2011-Annadel.aspx I keep Gu in the little pocket at the bottom, because I can usually get in there without stopping.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:22 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Update! Thanks for the input y'all. I tried a few different options out at a few different stores this week. The camelbak had so much strap action going on I thought it would be uncomfortable for the amount of sweating I do. And those fuel belt type things did not fit my waist well. The large bottle that sits in the back felt like it was in my spine and the side ones weren't so much better.
I ended going the cheap route and got a hand held, the one you linked to nd, and took it on my 7 miles this morning and liked it much better than I thought I would. It was much lighter than I expected and it was easy to switch hands if needed. I was pretty excited that it worked out.

Panda With Cookie

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]