| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan Planet
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:49 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Planet-Irre ... 1558322116

This book! I just got it, mostly because I was flipping through and found 12 recipes for chilli!

The recipe I tried first was Zucchini-Tahini bread. Its very good, but I don't think it takes well to cooking in glass ware because it turned out kind of not well done in the middle and a bit crusty on the outside... but I lack metal bake ware now... ._.

Seriously, twelve chilli recipes.

Post subject: Re: Vegan Planet
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:50 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I have it, but haven't used it much. Lots of options though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:08 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Yeah, sometimes I get intimidated by big recipes books. ._.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:59 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Vegan Planet was my first big vegan recipe book. I cooked a lot from there. I still love the three bean dahl. I can't remember all the recipes I made because it's been such a while since I've made anything from the book. I remember liking the tamale pie, but I haven't had it in at least 6 years.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:04 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I've decided to stop buying big recipe books because I never use them. I have 1001 Vegan Recipes, 500 Vegan Recipes, Vegan Planet, and if I have made even 2 things out of each, I'm lucky.

I can't explain this: nothing against any of those books. It's me, not them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:05 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I bought it for my parents and used it in the cookbook challenge last year. My favourite recipe was the African Sweet Potato stew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:38 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Kitteh wrote:
I bought it for my parents and used it in the cookbook challenge last year. My favourite recipe was the African Sweet Potato stew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:41 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

mixmaster_mo wrote:
Vegan Planet was my first big vegan recipe book. I cooked a lot from there. I still love the three bean dahl. I can't remember all the recipes I made because it's been such a while since I've made anything from the book. I remember liking the tamale pie, but I haven't had it in at least 6 years.

I used to love the tamale pie, too! I made it all the time in college, but I haven't made anything from there in so long!

Zucchini tahini bread sounds really good! I should try that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:29 pm 
Crazy bat lady

So many great recipes!

I especially liked the appetizers section--the Thai-style leaf-wrapped appetizer bites are delicious, as are the 5-spice portabello satays. My husband is a fan of the faux choron sauce (over roasted vegetables).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:33 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

The Moroccan 5-Spice Couscous recipe in this book has become one of my staples recipes. Also the Three-Bean Dal. Both are super super yummy.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:15 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I really like all of Robin's book for her creative ideas but for my taste they need a bit of oomph with the spices. 2 staples from that book for me are the pasta with brocolli, chickpeas and sesame seeds. It was one of the first "creamy" dishes I ever made as a vegan and was blown away. It will always have a place in my heart for that reason. The other one is the Linguine with white bean and sage sauce; we have a huge sage bush in the garden so it's perfect for a quick storecupboard meal.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:23 pm 
Bought a crop of bad girls

I love the curried lentil recipe and make it often

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:20 pm 
Tofu Pup

Speaking of the chilis in Vegan Planet, the backyard barbecue chili is my absolute goto chili. It's quick, tasty, and the ingredients are ones I tend to already have in the kitchen. Except that I usually just subsitute extra beans for the burger crumbles. Also, the balsamic kale & carrot dish is pretty much the only way I will eat kale. Otherwise, the book isn't used that much. Every recipe I make out of that book just seems like it needs to be tweaked or something.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:51 pm 
Naked Under Apron

You can never have too many vegan chili recipes. I prefer cookbooks over searching online. There is just something about having the physical book that makes the whole process easier.

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:12 am 
Baking In The Flavor

AutumnLeaves wrote:
You can never have too many vegan chili recipes. I prefer cookbooks over searching online. There is just something about having the physical book that makes the whole process easier.

Agreed. I have the Vegetarian Planet but not Vegan Planet. Are they written by the same person?

::off to do research::

Of course the authors are different people! How embarrassing. I can't believe I've never read Robin Robertson's blog before...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:41 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Guys, Robin Robertson has a whole chili book and it's awesome. It's called The Vegetarian Chili Cookbook and it has like 80 chili recipes in there. The Gumbo Chili is off the hook. I made it for my omni family who freaking loved it.

Highly recommend it!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:47 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Efcliz wrote:
I really like all of Robin's book for her creative ideas but for my taste they need a bit of oomph with the spices.

This. Every time I make something from Vegan Planet, I usually need to add some stuff. Then again, I've only made a small handful of things from it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:53 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

waxwolf wrote:
Efcliz wrote:
I really like all of Robin's book for her creative ideas but for my taste they need a bit of oomph with the spices.

This. Every time I make something from Vegan Planet, I usually need to add some stuff. Then again, I've only made a small handful of things from it.

Yep, I always up the spices. It was one of the first vegan cookbooks I got but I don't think I've used it a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:44 pm 
Inflexitarian

Love Robin's books, and her Soy-Tan Dream Cutlets are heaven.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:23 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I have it and I haven't made enough. Zucchini Tahini bread is nice, I made a quiche (I think zucchini again) but I remember it being a bit bland, a lot of the recipes sound nice. Is there anywhere I can see pictures?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:52 pm 
Huffs Nooch

VP will always hold a special place as the cookbook that introduced me to veganism. The spicy sausage tofu scramble is still my favorite breakfast. The chickpea tuna salad has fooled omnis. And after six years, I still exclusively serve the lemon watercress tofu to anyone who hasn't ever had tofu.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:05 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

laura8it wrote:
VP will always hold a special place as the cookbook that introduced me to veganism. The spicy sausage tofu scramble is still my favorite breakfast. The chickpea tuna salad has fooled omnis. And after six years, I still exclusively serve the lemon watercress tofu to anyone who hasn't ever had tofu.

This was my first vegan book! It really is wonderful and the chocolate chip cookies are awesome. I've convinced a lot of doubting omnis with them.

I have never made the lemon watercress tofu though - I think it's about time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:25 am 
Nooch of Earl

Saw that this came up again and thought I'd post...

This is actually one of my favorite books and I'm surprised at the lukewarm reception for it. I've seen Robin at cooking demos and was surprised by her obvious professional chef background, since her recipes always come out so consistently well for me.

Recipes I make all the time:
- Orange and Chipotle-Kissed Butternut Squash Bisque (this one makes me wonder about everyone saying things aren't spicy enough! I usually add the chipotle 1/4 at a time to make sure the soup isn't too spicy!). Definitely my go-to butternut squash soup recipe.
- Pseudo Caesar Salad. Far and away the best vegan caesar dressing of any I've tried, IMO; I mix up the ingredients, usually adding some avocado and/or sauteed seitan or chopped gardein fingers, to mkae this a dinner salad. It's a staple at our house, especially in summer.
- Rustic peasant loaf with black olives and sun dried tomatoes. I make tis in my breadmaker, so it's a little less rustic, but awesome.

Really good:
- Thai-Style Coconut Soup
- Panzanella. Nothing remarkable about this recipe, but it's just such a delicious classic.
- Eggless Hollandaise. Simple and quick, I made this back when I lived in Europe and could get decent asparagus.
- Soy Meets Grill Tortilla Wraps + Green apple salsa. Yum!
- Hoisin-drenched garlic seitan with baby bok choy. (very quick!)
- Ultimate Veggie Burgers
- Frozen coconut thaiphoon w/ mango, lime, and peanuts - great ice cream maker recipe

Looking over the book is making me realize that I've made a lot more from it, but it's been so long I don't really remember it that well! I should pick this one back up and cook through more of it. It's a good solid collection that I'd say makes a great basic for your vegan recipe library. I'd love it if it had more photos, but Robin's books never do.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:37 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

MacroVegan wrote:
Love Robin's books, and her Soy-Tan Dream Cutlets are heaven.

That particular recipe isn't in Vegan Planet, it's in 1000 Vegan Recipes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:03 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I really need to revisit this book. It was also my first vegan cookbook (well, I think I had a couple randoms before that, but they were small and not exciting). I remember standing in Borders and leafing through it, contemplating veganism, and thinking "I can still have corn chowder? And key lime cheesecake? I could do this!".

I really like the black bean and sweet potato enchiladas. I even made them once when I had no kitchen, only a convection oven, so I know that you don't even really need to cook the ingredients on the stovetop beforehand.