| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The term "MoFo" is apparently offensive to some???
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:02 pm 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 10434
Location: Wolfville, Nova Scotia
Momo! Tell me who these people are!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The term "MoFo" is apparently offensive to some???
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:20 pm 
Offline
Just Loathin' Around!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:17 pm
Posts: 7279
Location: bindlestiff
We find out that Buhbah has been causing trouble on local FB pages. "Organic food my asparagus. I will show them. CatMoFo"

_________________
Ovoids=not vegan --invictus

Panda With Cookie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The term "MoFo" is apparently offensive to some???
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:47 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3612
Location: It's hot. All the time.
My grandmother used to say that those who go looking for the devil are bound to find him. Those who spend time looking to be offended will invariably be offended. It's a ridiculous, ignorant reaction.

But now I want someone to re-write the theme to "Shaft" for Isa. "She's a bad mofo..."

_________________
A whole lot of access and privilege goes into being sanctimonious pricks J-Dub
Dessert is currently a big bowl of sanctimonious, passive aggressive vegan enduced boak. Fezza
You people are way less funny than Pandacookie. Sucks to be you.-interrobang?!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The term "MoFo" is apparently offensive to some???
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:48 pm 
Offline
Keepin' It Seal
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:32 pm
Posts: 3834
Location: PORTLAND!
Okay yeah, if there were something called VeganFAG that stood for Vegan Fathers Against Gravy, I'd think it was in poor taste. But I wouldn't boycott it and I wouldn't tell them they're being offensive because it's not that serious. It's just humor I don't find funny. As long as the content of VeganFAG had nothing to do with bashing teh gayz, I'd be okay with it existing and I may even peruse the anti-gravy blogs a bit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The term "MoFo" is apparently offensive to some???
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:49 pm 
Offline
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:31 pm
Posts: 2277
Location: Austin, TX
If there is one thing I have learned from being vegan it's that you can't please all the people all of the time.

_________________
blarg Lazy Smurf's Guide to Life
twitter @veganLazySmurf
Pinterest


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The term "MoFo" is apparently offensive to some???
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:50 pm 
Offline
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:41 am
Posts: 7553
Location: Portland
choirqueer wrote:
Momo wrote:
Maggie Muggins wrote:

Seriously though, it's pretty ridiculous that they would go out of their way to boycott it.

Those are the kind of vegans that I don't want to affiliate with...why go out of your way to alienate a group of fun loving vegans, trying to spread the word and inform others about a really great lifestyle??


I'm totally down with the MoFo...but, to be fair, the people who are offended by the term probably feel that we are going out of our way to alienate a group of fun loving vegans (them)...so while I am personally not bothered by the term, I feel like it's relevant to at least acknowledge that some people are. I don't think anyone here is purposely trying to alienate anybody, but I have to admit, if the name for the event had a word that offended me in the name -- like, oh, I don't know, VeganFaggot? -- I would probably not want to participate.

So basically...I don't entirely agree, but I get it why they're upset.


Really? It's short for MOnth of FOod. It's not the same as if it were actually called "Vegan Motherf*cker," or even if it were called "Vegan Mofo" intended to be short for "vegan motherf*cker." It's not analogous to calling it "Vegan baguette" or similar. These people are offended because a completely non-offensive abbreviation is the same as an abbreviation for an offensive term, which frankly, is too remote for me to take seriously.

_________________
If you spit on my food I will blow your forking head off, you filthy shitdog. - Mumbles
Don't you know that vegan meat is the gateway drug to chicken addiction? Because GMO and trans-fats. - kaerlighed


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The term "MoFo" is apparently offensive to some???
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:55 pm 
Offline
Fair trade, organic mistletoe
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 3507
Location: Toronto
Vantine wrote:
My grandmother used to say that those who go looking for the devil are bound to find him. Those who spend time looking to be offended will invariably be offended. It's a ridiculous, ignorant reaction.

But now I want someone to re-write the theme to "Shaft" for Isa. "She's a bad mofo..."

I'm just talking about Isa!

_________________
"I'd rather have dried catshit! I'd rather have astroturf! I'd rather have an igloo!"~Isa

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The term "MoFo" is apparently offensive to some???
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:24 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:16 pm
Posts: 3872
Location: Panama City, Florida
What's so bad about forking a mother anyway?

_________________
etsy shop: teeny tiny tantrums


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The term "MoFo" is apparently offensive to some???
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:42 pm 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:23 pm
Posts: 2946
All of our mothers were forked at one point

_________________
Mal: We're still flying.
Simon: That's not much.
Mal: It's enough.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The term "MoFo" is apparently offensive to some???
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:01 pm 
Offline
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:42 pm
Posts: 797
Location: Oak Harbor, WA
tee hee


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The term "MoFo" is apparently offensive to some???
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:05 pm 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:24 pm
Posts: 294
Location: Toronto
Just seems like of all the things on the internet that one could get offended about, this is pretty silly. It also doesn't do much to change the idea some have of vegans as humourless.

_________________
The Vegina Monologues
@terri_to on Twitter


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The term "MoFo" is apparently offensive to some???
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:08 am 
Offline
Addicted to B12 Enemas
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:55 pm
Posts: 247
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
some people are just way too serious and get offended way too easily! weird!

_________________
http://justinpluslauren.com -- my travel blog with my boyfriend!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The term "MoFo" is apparently offensive to some???
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:16 am 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:58 pm
Posts: 4751
Location: Santa Cruz whoop whoop

_________________
"Trolling an internet message board, The Greatest Activism Of All." - pandacookie
Вы такие сексапильные, когда злитесь


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The term "MoFo" is apparently offensive to some???
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:23 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:57 am
Posts: 1861
Location: Scotland
Fee wrote:
That's...what makes the name cool?

That's what I thought....

Also, I totally call my kids mothersuckers (cos they breastfeed...get it?). ;p

_________________
http://reallycrabbycrafter.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheTartanVicar


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The term "MoFo" is apparently offensive to some???
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:00 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:57 am
Posts: 1861
Location: Scotland
Isn't this the Post Punk Kitchen? I mean, rather than the PC kitchen?

_________________
http://reallycrabbycrafter.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheTartanVicar


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The term "MoFo" is apparently offensive to some???
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:17 am 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:31 pm
Posts: 1487
Location: In the land of Druids and Moonrakers
I'm a bit surprised, to be honest, by some of the reactions in this thread. I personally don't have any issue with it - mother hubbard is a word I frequently use in everyday life, and I think it's funny when I tell people about MoFo and they do a double take. But in many other threads, there seems to have been consensus that the people who aren't offended by something don't get to decide whether the people who are offended are justified in their taking offence or not - isn't it the same here? If there are people who find the term MoFo misogynistic and are made uncomfortable and upset by it, then it *is* offensive. If the choice is to continue to use an offensive name regardless, that's a different thing, but mocking them for not getting the joke doesn't seem a completely appropriate response.

_________________
Cake is always the appropriate intervention. - choirqueer
We are here to discuss the gender politics of cats, not your mommy issues. - Expired Sanity


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The term "MoFo" is apparently offensive to some???
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:37 am 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3612
Location: It's hot. All the time.
Well, they are wrong. It's doesn't mean what they think it means. If a Christian group was offended because they thought it meant Vegan Monumental Fornicator, they would be wrong as well. (However, it would have very interesting pictures, no?)

This is not an instance in which a reasonable argument can be made for another interpretation. The name was chosen for reasons unrelated to mother forker. National Novel Writing Month in November (next month) is known as NaNoWriMo.

From the top secret http://www.veganmofo.com
Quote:
VeganMoFo was originally created on the Post Punk Kitchen, as an homage to NaNoWriMo. Because we do want to write novels, but sometimes cooking gets in the way. So why not combine them!


Also, I'm not really convinced that "misogynist" should be tossed around like a water balloon. Is mother forker really misogynist? I'm not convinced.

Boycotting the month long event because you misunderstood the name is not something I can sympathize with. Anyone has the right to be offended but other people have the right to disagree.

_________________
A whole lot of access and privilege goes into being sanctimonious pricks J-Dub
Dessert is currently a big bowl of sanctimonious, passive aggressive vegan enduced boak. Fezza
You people are way less funny than Pandacookie. Sucks to be you.-interrobang?!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The term "MoFo" is apparently offensive to some???
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:41 am 
Offline
Keepin' It Seal
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:32 pm
Posts: 3834
Location: PORTLAND!
Vantine wrote:
Well, they are wrong. It's doesn't mean what they think it means. If a Christian group was offended because they thought it meant Vegan Monumental Fornicator, they would be wrong as well. (However, it would have very interesting pictures, no?)

This is not an instance in which a reasonable argument can be made for another interpretation. The name was chosen for reasons unrelated to mother forker. National Novel Writing Month in November (next month) is known as NaNoWriMo.

Mofo is pretty common shorthand for mother forker. I think they know it's supposed to stand for month of food, but it's a term that, to them, has always been mother forker. Wouldn't it be weird if we had something called VeganFAG? I know it would for me. FAG could stand for something completely different, but I wouldn't be able to think of anything other than the offensive gay term.

And it's not like this was always called the vegan month of food and MoFo was the only conceivable NaNoWriMo-like name we could think of. I remember the original thread. We were brainstorming all different names. When someone suggested MoFo, we loved it. And I can't speak for anyone else, but the thing that I immediately loved about it was the fact that it is a common slang term and would cause people who first hear it to say "haha oh that's so funny! I thought you were talking about forking mothers! hahaha! and you're only talking about food!" and they they read on because we got their attention.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The term "MoFo" is apparently offensive to some???
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:45 am 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:44 pm
Posts: 306
Location: España
That is what makes it so much fun!
Stupid MoFoHoFoSho's

_________________
My Blog

Breeder of dust bunnies.
Hermit in training.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The term "MoFo" is apparently offensive to some???
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:03 am 
Offline
Just Loathin' Around!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:17 pm
Posts: 7279
Location: bindlestiff
Ruby Rose wrote:
But in many other threads, there seems to have been consensus that the people who aren't offended by something don't get to decide whether the people who are offended are justified in their taking offence or not - isn't it the same here?

I think that may be a point brought up in many a thread but I think it is far from a consensus reached for everyone.

_________________
Ovoids=not vegan --invictus

Panda With Cookie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The term "MoFo" is apparently offensive to some???
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:20 am 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:38 pm
Posts: 4183
Location: Vancouver Island
joyfulgirl wrote:
Okay yeah, if there were something called VeganFAG that stood for Vegan Fathers Against Gravy, I'd think it was in poor taste. But I wouldn't boycott it and I wouldn't tell them they're being offensive because it's not that serious. It's just humor I don't find funny. As long as the content of VeganFAG had nothing to do with bashing teh gayz, I'd be okay with it existing and I may even peruse the anti-gravy blogs a bit.

hahahahah this made my day!

_________________
tofulish wrote:
Human, the tastiest animal of all.


Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The term "MoFo" is apparently offensive to some???
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:03 am 
Offline
Seagull of the PPK
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:46 pm
Posts: 8197
Location: Brasil
This could all be solved quickly if we simply changed it to.... drumroll please....


Vegan MoFoo. (After all, it's month of food, not month of fod.)





No, seriously, what a load of crepe.

Also, Momo- where I'm from Momo is an insult. (as well as a peach). I call my best friend Momo all the time, though.

_________________
Buddha says 'Meh'.--matwinser
I'm just a drunk who likes fruit. -- Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The term "MoFo" is apparently offensive to some???
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:33 am 
Offline
A gift from the crasshole god.

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:57 am
Posts: 2523
solipsistnation wrote:


Oh my god! haha.

Is baguette a filter for something?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The term "MoFo" is apparently offensive to some???
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:57 am 
Offline
She's No Isa Chandra!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:00 pm
Posts: 820
Location: Chicago
Excuse me while I fall on the floor laughing. And laugh a little more to make up for the people who have no sense of humor.

_________________
Seitan Beats Your Meat
Photography


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The term "MoFo" is apparently offensive to some???
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:59 am 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:31 pm
Posts: 1487
Location: In the land of Druids and Moonrakers
Vantine wrote:
Well, they are wrong. It doesn't mean what they think it means.

I'm interested in this as an area of discussion, not because I disagree with you. I remember the thread where the name was coined, and I laughed my arse off when it was chosen - the whole point of why it's funny and edgy and punk is, of course, entirely because the word MoFo is commonly understood to mean mother hubbard, so I don't feel that it's an unreasonable association for some people to make. I also feel eye-rolly that the people boycotting have missed the joke. But, like choirqueer says, I get why they are upset, and I'm interested in understanding why it's okay to describe their upset as, for example,
Vantine wrote:
a ridiculous, ignorant reaction.


I'm interested, for the sake of discussion only, why you and maybe others would perhaps see this context as being different from kinds of opinions expressed in the Dr Pepper thread? viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14726&hilit=dr+pepper&start=50 I fully accept, as Pandacookie says, that not everyone agrees with the framing that it's the offended people who get to decide whether something is offensive or not, but I'm curious whether anyone else is surprised by some of the language and general tenor of the thread that disagree with their position.

If this isn't the thread for that kind of discussion, that's fine by me too, and I'm certainly not going to defend anyone's boycotting of the magnificent MoFo!

_________________
Cake is always the appropriate intervention. - choirqueer
We are here to discuss the gender politics of cats, not your mommy issues. - Expired Sanity


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer