| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Treatment after severe cervical dysplasia diagnosis..help
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:21 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:03 am
Posts: 77
(katieUD from old boards)

So, couple of weeks ago I got my colposcopy results back and it said I have carcinoma in situ of the cervix. My doctor referred me to a specialist and I reluctantly made an appointment for Nov 9th because that's the earliest he could get me in. My mom was talking to someone at work who is a pathologist, and they told her that doctor isn't the best because he isn't as thorough (not positive what that means). The pathologist told me to go to a different doctor, who can't get me in til Nov 22nd. I don't know if two weeks will make a huge difference, but I'm terrified to keep waiting. I got the HPV vaccine and apparently whatever strain I have wasn't covered by the vaccine. In a year I went from a normal pap to carcinoma in situ. How do I decide which doctor to go to? Should I wait another 2 weeks and see the doctor who has a better reputation with the pathologist at the hospital my mom is at, or should I try to get in as soon as possible and see the other doctor? Also, I was reading that hysterectomy is the most effective treatment because the chance of recurrence of the lowest. Will doctors even do a hysterectomy on a 22 your old? I'm afraid to ask whatever doctor I end up with. I imagine they'll do a cone biopsy but the rate of recurrence is kind of high- somewhere around 30%? Please help me make decisions, ppk :(

_________________
You're all like, "ahh, I have too much superoxidedismutase! Initiate programmed cell death!" -Sra. Nooch


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Treatment after severe cervical dysplasia diagnosis..hel
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:33 am 
stop: can't. won't. don't.
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:11 pm
Posts: 1865
Location: NYC nosebleeds.
i can't help with your decision because i don't know anything about the rate of metastasis of cervical cancer.

what i can tell you is what a nurse told me when i had an abnormal pap and was waiting for colposcopy results: she had carcinoma in situ when she was pregnant and carried her son full term, had a biopsy, and had no recurrence. she was past childbearing age when she told me this.

i'm really sorry you have to deal with this, but please don't get too fatalistic about it. if you can find out about metastasis rates, it might help your decision. i would imagine that waiting for the more thorough doctor would be better, but there are a few things to consider. perhaps someone at his/her office can tell you what waiting two weeks might mean?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Treatment after severe cervical dysplasia diagnosis..hel
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:37 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:39 pm
Posts: 1850
Location: St. John's Newfoundland
So sorry to hear that! But don't worry yet, you have to see what the doctor says!

If it were me, I'd see both doctors, the second just to get a second opinion, if thats not an option, however, its a tough choice. On one hand, if you go to the 9th appointment, you'll know sooner, but will feel anxious that he didn't do a great job. But waiting until the 22nd will also make you very anxious! What if you took the 9th but did the follow up exam with the other doctor? Or what if you call your regular doctor and ask him how strongly he recommends the first doctor? It might just be gossip at your mom's work, after all.

I don't think they'd do a hysterectomy if it wasn't very severe. My sister had this several years ago, she was 20 then I think, and she was treated with cryotherapy if I recall correctly and everything was okay in the end, no recurrence yet!

_________________
I was really surprised the first time I saw a penis. After those banana tutorials, I was expecting something so different. -Tofulish


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Treatment after severe cervical dysplasia diagnosis..hel
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:25 am 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 3178
Location: San Francisco
I had to get cryo for an abnormal pap several years back. I agree with Shy Mox--get another opinion, and don't worry too much about the likelihood of a hysterectomy! You'll probably be fine with just cryo. The cryo itself isn't bad at all. On the downside, you have to lay on the table with your feet in the stirrups for a while, and it's not a COMFORTABLE procedure, but it doesn't hurt. It doesn't take too long, and then you just have discharge for a few days and you're done. They'll have you do follow-up paps a couple times close in afterward and then you have to be good about always getting your annual, just to make certain that there's nothing coming back, but more than likely, you'll be fine.

For that reason, though, I'd suggest going in to the other doctor, because in this case, thorough is good.

Anyways, cryo isn't bad and SO MANY women have an abnormal pap and end up needing some sort of treatment--often cryo--because of it. You have nothing to worry about, and if you're feeling at all down on yourself (I know I was when I went through it), you shouldn't.

If you're worried about the situation, call the second doctor's office and talk to them about your concerns. They can probably help you feel better about the waiting, OR they'll encourage you to go elsewhere. Also, speak to your doctor that did the pap and recommended you to a specialist and try to get a sense on how he or she feels about how soon you should see someone. My guess is that the two weeks will be fine, and I think the peace of mind of going to the more highly recommended doctor will be worth it.

_________________
Your heart is a muscle the size of a fist
Keep loving, keep fighting

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Treatment after severe cervical dysplasia diagnosis..hel
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:08 am 
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:42 pm
Posts: 1372
Location: sf
DarthCupcake wrote:
I had to get cryo for an abnormal pap several years back. I agree with Shy Mox--get another opinion, and don't worry too much about the likelihood of a hysterectomy! You'll probably be fine with just cryo. The cryo itself isn't bad at all. On the downside, you have to lay on the table with your feet in the stirrups for a while, and it's not a COMFORTABLE procedure, but it doesn't hurt. It doesn't take too long, and then you just have discharge for a few days and you're done. They'll have you do follow-up paps a couple times close in afterward and then you have to be good about always getting your annual, just to make certain that there's nothing coming back, but more than likely, you'll be fine.

For that reason, though, I'd suggest going in to the other doctor, because in this case, thorough is good.

Anyways, cryo isn't bad and SO MANY women have an abnormal pap and end up needing some sort of treatment--often cryo--because of it. You have nothing to worry about, and if you're feeling at all down on yourself (I know I was when I went through it), you shouldn't.

If you're worried about the situation, call the second doctor's office and talk to them about your concerns. They can probably help you feel better about the waiting, OR they'll encourage you to go elsewhere. Also, speak to your doctor that did the pap and recommended you to a specialist and try to get a sense on how he or she feels about how soon you should see someone. My guess is that the two weeks will be fine, and I think the peace of mind of going to the more highly recommended doctor will be worth it.


+1! I've never had any abnormal pap smears, but a friend has and she had the cryo stuff done. Now all her paps come back normal.

I hope everything turns out okay for you!! And DON'T even worry about getting a hysterectomy!

Plus, I've heard horrible long-term stories about hysterectomies... intestinal shifts, zero sex drive, heart problems, circulatory problems, bladder shifts and the recurring UTIs... Ahh.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Treatment after severe cervical dysplasia diagnosis..hel
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:18 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:03 am
Posts: 77
Thanks for the responses. I wanted to clarify- I thought hysterectomy might be an option because I don't want children anyway and it would decrease the risk of coming back. I have to wait til the 22nd because apparently the guy scheduled for the 9th is forgetful during surgery.

_________________
You're all like, "ahh, I have too much superoxidedismutase! Initiate programmed cell death!" -Sra. Nooch


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Treatment after severe cervical dysplasia diagnosis..hel
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:34 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 3178
Location: San Francisco
apoptosis wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I wanted to clarify- I thought hysterectomy might be an option because I don't want children anyway and it would decrease the risk of coming back. I have to wait til the 22nd because apparently the guy scheduled for the 9th is forgetful during surgery.


I don't know how old you are, but doctors tend to be very, very hesitant to pay heed to anyone below mid-30s claiming they don't want children. And even when they do, a tubal ligation is far more probable than a hysterectomy, because of the much higher risk of complications, etc, with a hysterectomy (trust me, I often wish I could just get mine taken out, too, but alas!).

You should be fine with the cryo, though. Keep us posted!

_________________
Your heart is a muscle the size of a fist
Keep loving, keep fighting

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Treatment after severe cervical dysplasia diagnosis..hel
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:59 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:03 am
Posts: 77
DarthCupcake wrote:
apoptosis wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I wanted to clarify- I thought hysterectomy might be an option because I don't want children anyway and it would decrease the risk of coming back. I have to wait til the 22nd because apparently the guy scheduled for the 9th is forgetful during surgery.


I don't know how old you are, but doctors tend to be very, very hesitant to pay heed to anyone below mid-30s claiming they don't want children. And even when they do, a tubal ligation is far more probable than a hysterectomy, because of the much higher risk of complications, etc, with a hysterectomy (trust me, I often wish I could just get mine taken out, too, but alas!).

You should be fine with the cryo, though. Keep us posted!


Yeah, I'm 22, so I doubt they'd take me seriously. I think instead of cryo they are going to do conization.

_________________
You're all like, "ahh, I have too much superoxidedismutase! Initiate programmed cell death!" -Sra. Nooch


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer