| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gay support for Republicans doubled between 2008 and 2010
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:10 pm 
Grandfathered In

Sure, if it went from one supporter in 2008 to two supporters in 2010, I could understand.

But that's not what they're saying.

Post subject: Re: Gay support for Republicans doubled between 2008 and 201
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:08 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Just because someone happens to be gay doesn't negate them being a selfish motherfuckr who couldn't give a shiitake about anyone else so long as their life is under the radar and peachy keen. At least that's what I'm given to believe via dickheads who vote Tory here.

eta. Sorry, I'm in a shitty mood tonight and showing it unnecessarily so, perhaps!

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:08 pm 
Grandfathered In

interrobang?! wrote:
Just because someone happens to be gay doesn't negate them being a selfish motherfuckr who couldn't give a shiitake about anyone else so long as their life is under the radar and peachy keen. At least that's what I'm given to believe via dickheads who vote Tory here.

eta. Sorry, I'm in a shitty mood tonight and showing it unnecessarily so, perhaps!

Sure, gay people can be jerks too. But I find it surprising that so many people can support a party that demonizes them at every turn.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:15 pm 
Mediocre Tart

FootFace wrote:
interrobang?! wrote:

Sure, gay people can be jerks too. But I find it surprising that so many people can support a party that demonizes them at every turn.

I don't even find it that surprising, to be honest. I mean, in theory I do... but in reality, I'm barely even surprised beyond my own personal outrage. It just makes me really forking sad.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:29 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

You want to know which voters were largely responsible for passing the delightful marriage protection amendment in Virginia? Democratic voters, that's who. The socially liberal voting power centers of Northern Virginia and Montgomery County voted down the amendment, and usually those centers are strong enough to carry the state these days. However, the massive influx of RELIGIOUS democrats at the polls voted for the amendment pretty much consistently, so the areas like Richmond that went something like 80-90% Dem also went 80-90% in favor of the "defense of marriage act." Virginia has a lot of religious conservatives, most of whom are republicans, but there is also a large population segment of Democrat African American religious conservative voters, and the demographics after the election showed that those voters (among many other groups) showed up at the polls in record numbers.

ETA: we elected a democratic senator (Webb) over the republican incumbent in that same election (Allen). According to my quick Wikipedia check (VA board of elections site was bringing up a 401, so excuse the sloppy source) Webb and Allen were really neck and neck at ~49% each. It was a nasty election (with Allen whining about Webb's "smutty books). However, the Defense of Marriage act was passed something with something like an 8 point margin.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:16 pm 
Chip Strong

I've met some pretty conservative gays, so it isn't terribly surprising. However, I kind of wonder if an increase in percentage really has more to do with more liberal gays being disheartened and not showing up.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:17 pm 
Grandfathered In

Montgomery County voters voted down a Virginia law?

I grew up in Montgomery County!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:20 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I will never be able to wrap my head around people who support a party that wants to deny them their rights. I shouldn't be surprised anymore, but I always am.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:24 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

FootFace wrote:

I didn't know you were from Va FootFace! They didn't vote down the amendment, MC didn't vote for it, but it still passed, so now Virginia has the "defense of marriage" state constitutional amendment. I don't understand why people trying to defend marriage are not also supporting legislation outlawing divorce. Since it is so important, why not build a protective fence around it from ALL directions?

(for everybody else: Montgomery County in Virginia is where Virginia Tech is--lots of liberal voters in an otherwise mostly poor, conservative, religious area. Voting demographics always skew very liberal there, especially if you look at the polling station break downs.)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:06 pm 
Grandfathered In

lavawitch wrote:
FootFace wrote:

I didn't know you were from Va FootFace! They didn't vote down the amendment, MC didn't vote for it, but it still passed, so now Virginia has the "defense of marriage" state constitutional amendment. I don't understand why people trying to defend marriage are not also supporting legislation outlawing divorce. Since it is so important, why not build a protective fence around it from ALL directions?

(for everybody else: Montgomery County in Virginia is where Virginia Tech is--lots of liberal voters in an otherwise mostly poor, conservative, religious area. Voting demographics always skew very liberal there, especially if you look at the polling station break downs.)

No, I'm from Montgomery County, Maryland. Didn't even know there was one in VA.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:20 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

give it time, soon everyone they voted for with be outed in delicious scandal! oh closeted gay republicans, i love your shenanigans.