| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: NaNoWriMo
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:39 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i will look for you all. unfortunately i just started on 4 new forums in the last two weeks and it will be a bloody miracle if i can keep everything straight, handle my own deadlines (which are always, always completely random and last minute) AND produce text. But stranger things have happened, so why not??

@lilianp- i am a convinced quaker (since college) but had the good fortune to move to a high-quaker-density area and work at a quaker school for some years, so i got the condensed experience. Now i think my kid and i are the only quakers in this country, so i am not part of a meeting, but i keep up with a few meetings that have online functions, and well, hang out with the zen folks here, who are surprisingly compatible. as well as try to instill the values in the kid, which is the real workout. how about you?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:48 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I am RebeccaS on there, it appears. My novel will be a dark love story starring a few of my favorite themes: bad boy, love triangle, dreams, horrible online dating stories, and the multiverse

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:56 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm going to attempt it, again, this year.

I even joined the group on the forums there for write-in meetings! Until I found that by "Bristol and Bath" (which are two different, but close, cities) is actually "Bristol, but we might be able to organise someone to give you a ride maybe if you live in Bath". Bath's a twenty minute drive away, but Bristol's down the motorway for 45 minutes! I'm not driving to a pub two cities away to sit and not drink alcohol and write and then drive back alone on the motorway at night. Silly moderators!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:29 pm 

I'm so excited; I just realized that I only have to write about 4 pages a day. That should be easy! I always write at least that much a day when I write stories (haha stories that are only that length).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:43 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I successfully completed NaNoWriMo during like the busiest November of my life where I had a billion deadlines and other things I needed to be doing.

I have failed at it every year since! Last year I kinda blamed MoFo and having a young child but this year MoFo's in October and my kid is less needy so... maybe this year?

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:07 pm 
Chard Martyr

My page says "coming soon!" under writing buddies. Is that normal? Do I have to do anything?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:36 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I might participate this year as I finally have a novel idea that really excites me and this might just be the push to get a very rough draft out in a month. I don't plan on being official about it or joining any online communities, other than checking in here with you guys though for inspiration and progress reports. I think the key for me will be just keep going forward with the story, not re-reading previous chapters at all and not editing a thing until it's complete! <3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:21 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

torque wrote:
@lilianp- i am a convinced quaker (since college) but had the good fortune to move to a high-quaker-density area and work at a quaker school for some years, so i got the condensed experience. Now i think my kid and i are the only quakers in this country, so i am not part of a meeting, but i keep up with a few meetings that have online functions, and well, hang out with the zen folks here, who are surprisingly compatible. as well as try to instill the values in the kid, which is the real workout. how about you?

That must have been nice to work in such a high density quaker area. I guess that's sort of how it is here. There's several meetings within bikeable distance. Naturally I work at the one the farthest away. (Part-time) Have you utilized quakerfinder? I love using it when I'm travelling. I got a book pretty recently at Yearly Sessions on parenting/teaching your child Quaker values. I can try and find the title for you again (it was for my meeting's parenting/Religious ed library).

I did grow up Quaker, though. Spent most of my life attending meeting that's held in a Quaker school!

Back on topic: I love nanowrimo, but I have no original story ideas, so I'm going to be writing Firefly fanfic to fulfill a challenge I accepted months ago...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:39 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i like quakerfinder, although it's only N.America-- the nearest thing i've found is an online meeting, or Bolivia. A bit far!

Also back to topic- I have many short story ideas, but no ideas for novel-length work. At least none that won't involve months of research. I am not sure whether to just take a short story farther, or to go with my idea without doing the research first? seems sort of backasswards though, as when i write short stories one little detail turns the whole thing around on occasion.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:42 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

torque wrote:
i like quakerfinder, although it's only N.America-- the nearest thing i've found is an online meeting, or Bolivia. A bit far!

Also back to topic- I have many short story ideas, but no ideas for novel-length work. At least none that won't involve months of research. I am not sure whether to just take a short story farther, or to go with my idea without doing the research first? seems sort of backasswards though, as when i write short stories one little detail turns the whole thing around on occasion.

OH man. I fail. Obviously I never tried to use it for out of country travel! (which has only been to China, before it existed)

Probably short stories ideas-though with nano novels, there's always significant re-writes to be done, so you might be able to get away with the novel length idea.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:25 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

torque wrote:

this is mostly my issue too. I conceptualize everything as poems or short stories. But I actually started writing my idea out as a short story then two pages in split it into two short stories (I have two intros to two short stories two pages apiece already which I wrote on this idea maybe a month ago) and then I pondered some more and thought well, maybe it's a novella (to me a novella is less than one hundred pages and a full novel scares me because it's just so much sustained work) and then I thought of a subplot that works with the main idea and realized--whoa--this could be a whole novel. So I's excited and daunted. I think I should try and write an outline though, even just a sketchy one as I'm afraid if I just write off the top of my head it'll be too disorganized but I might just do that and see what happens.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:41 pm 
One Trick Dick

I'm just going to roll with it. I haven't attempted anything beyond a short story, either.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:32 pm 
Married to the wolfman

seitanicverses wrote:
I might participate this year as I finally have a novel idea that really excites me and this might just be the push to get a very rough draft out in a month. I don't plan on being official about it or joining any online communities, other than checking in here with you guys though for inspiration and progress reports. I think the key for me will be just keep going forward with the story, not re-reading previous chapters at all and not editing a thing until it's complete! <3

Yup... This was th attitude I had the year I was actually successful and I think that's the way to go!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:08 am 
Wal-Mart's White Knight

Tick tock.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:15 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Hey, is the rest of the Fearsome Foursome still determined to do this?
And is it possible to re-add writing buddies now?
I'll check the NaNo site when I'm more awake and then I'll add all of you!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:26 am 
Wal-Mart's White Knight

Huh. I had writing buddies last month. Says "Coming Soon" now.

Anyhow, if and when, I'm still down for it, and I'm still registered as sameness.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:54 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i'm scared. i've been sitting down and listing, and i tell you, i'm coming up with NOTHING. perhaps i will just go with writing a series of short, connected stories anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:10 am 
Wal-Mart's White Knight

I think I just plan to fire off X words a day in true "first though, best thought" style and see what shakes out.

I'm frankly more worried about the discipline and the routine. Something approaching cohesive and coherent would just be the cherry on top.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:59 am 

Now I'm getting worried about my story. I knew what I wanted to happen, so I built a whole story around it. But now I just want the core story, which would probably be really short. Is it a cop-out to build a whole world and story just so that I'll have a long story? Is it a cop-out not to do that? I have no idea what to do with one of my characters. I can't decide if I should not have her in the story. She might be the best part of my story. She just has to be used exactly right. But hoooow? This writing business is hard

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:00 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bastah wrote:
Now I'm getting worried about my story. I knew what I wanted to happen, so I built a whole story around it. But now I just want the core story, which would probably be really short. Is it a cop-out to build a whole world and story just so that I'll have a long story? Is it a cop-out not to do that? I have no idea what to do with one of my characters. I can't decide if I should not have her in the story. She might be the best part of my story. She just has to be used exactly right. But hoooow? This writing business is hard

No, it's not. You just start writing, not caring about the outcome. Once you get past your initial hesitation, the story will grow organically.
If you know what that character is like, what she likes and dislikes, what her secret ambitions are (etc - no matter whether those things will ever end up in the story or not), she will know what to do and just do it. Just have her stay in character. :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:59 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

sameness wrote:
I think I just plan to fire off X words a day in true "first though, best thought" style and see what shakes out.

This is what I'm planning to do.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:19 pm 
One Trick Dick

seitanicverses wrote:
sameness wrote:

This is what I'm planning to do.

Yep. We call it "first draft." Get your thoughts down, and then go back to shape it into the masterpiece it will surely become.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:59 pm 
One Trick Dick

I still have zero ideas.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:07 pm 
Wal-Mart's White Knight

I have a working title. I'll pretend I'm in Guided By Voices and just write around it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:14 am 
Bathes in Braggs

You guys, I've done nano for the past 7 years, and last year is the first year I didn't make it. I was writing a ultra-personal story and it got way too tramatic for me. I want to write again this November, but I'm so nervous! I'm choosing a totally different plot, but I'm just worried that I'm not going to be able to do it. I've got nano nerves!

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next