| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: my indoor herbs are wilting
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:48 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

its now fall and my basil and parsley indoor plants are looking a little worse for the wear. we've only turned on the heat once. they are in a big sun room so lots of sun but i dont know how actually warm it is in there. should i move them to a warmer part of the house or is this a natural fall happening?

Post subject: Re: my indoor herbs are wilting
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:50 am 
ol' garly cooch

About the basil:

Basil has 3 stages in its life cycle-juvenile, transition, and productive. During the first stage, leaves should be cut from the top to encourage more growth, and the small leaves on the bottom should be left alone. The second stage, the growth slows way down and can sustain 2 cuttings every 2-3 weeks.
The last stage is when the plant flowers and produces seeds. The stems become very woody and the essential oil isn't what it used to be. Perhaps your plant is in the last stage?

The soil or planting mix should be soggy, not drenched and kept away from cold drafts. It loves the sun.

Check your leaves, are there any spots or signs of insects?

The parsley:

Parsley is a biennial herb, likes full sun, and needs to be watered. When was the last time you fed your plants? What are you feeding them?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:38 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ok wow! i didnt know any of that!

basil: i didnt sprout it myself i bought a mini plant from home depot and transferred it into a pot and keep it in my sunroom. ive had it probably since late spring/early summer. their are tons of leaves on it but all relatively small. the only time i touch it is to pluck off wilty leaves or occasionally pluck some leaves off to use in a recipe. otherwise i let it run wild because i honestly dont know what i am doing ;-) maybe i should prune off some of the wilty stalks and let the energy go tothe other shoots.

parsley: smae thing as above, bought at home depot, keep in sunroom, pluck leaves even less because i havent come across anything to cook with fresh parlsey. i have fed a little bit to my guinea peegs. this one has less leaves and the leaves it does have are nice and big. sometimes they are a little yellowy and i snip those off. it is possible in the sunroom there are some drafts but not too bad as it is still part of the main house. just lots of windows. tons of sun in there.

for both plants i water mainly with plain tap water. i want to feed the parsley to my guinea peegs and i was afraid of using fertilizer (this may not even make sense). i have 1-2 times watered it with regular miracle grow which is what i use on my other house plants. maybe i should feed it more. i dont think they have ever dried out but i may have over watered them 1-2 times.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:45 pm 
ol' garly cooch

for both plants i water mainly with plain tap water.
This might very well be the problem. Depending on the pH of the water and the soil, you could be starving or overfeeding your plants.

i want to feed the parsley to my guinea peegs and i was afraid of using fertilizer (this may not even make sense).
Plants are like any other living thing--they love to eat! For basil and parsley, selecting a nutrient or fertilizer with plenty of nitrogen or phosphorous is important.

i have 1-2 times watered it with regular miracle grow which is what i use on my other house plants.
This also might be contributing to the problem. There's a lot of stuff in MG that is not environmentally sound. I would stick with a good vegan fert with seaweed.

maybe i should feed it more. i dont think they have ever dried out but i may have over watered them 1-2 times.
Over watering the plants is the Debil, Bobby Bouchee.