| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 789 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Diner
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:56 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I always used sweet paprika when I've made the cheesy mac because I could never find the smoked version until a couple of weeks ago. It worked great.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:50 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

yep I too preferred the cheesy mac with regular sweet paprika + just a 1/4t smoked. I used tiny shells, added in maybe 1/4 cup of Daiya with the shells and I have to say, it allllllmost reminded me of that Annie's Mac N Cheese I used to live on as a vegetarian.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:44 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I made the smoky soy curls yesterday! It was my first soy curl experience. I put them in a bun with Daiya and bbq sauce (I didn't have lettuce or tomato for a BLT, darn, but this sandwich was still really tasty!)

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:09 pm 
Inflexitarian

Tonight I made the Diner mac and cheese, smoky soy curls, and in the pan I made the soy curls in I cooked some garlic kale. It was all so good. The smoky soy curls are one of the best things I've eaten in eighteen years of being vegan and will easily become a new staple. Thank you, Julie!

One question: I'm recently a xgfx convert, and I used Bob's Red Mill xgfx baking flour for the 2 Tbsp of flour in the mac. The texture ended up great, but there is a slightly odd taste. Could this be it? Otherwise, with the exception of using xgfx pasta I followed the recipe exactly. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:43 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

molasses jane wrote:
Tonight I made the Diner mac and cheese, smoky soy curls, and in the pan I made the soy curls in I cooked some garlic kale. It was all so good. The smoky soy curls are one of the best things I've eaten in eighteen years of being vegan and will easily become a new staple. Thank you, Julie!

One question: I'm recently a xgfx convert, and I used Bob's Red Mill xgfx baking flour for the 2 Tbsp of flour in the mac. The texture ended up great, but there is a slightly odd taste. Could this be it? Otherwise, with the exception of using xgfx pasta I followed the recipe exactly. Any ideas?

I'm so happy you like the Smoky Curls! I think the off flavor was the bob's flour. Just sub additional cornstarch for the wheat flour or gf oat flour. Either should work fine. Let me know if you have any issues with it or if you have any more questions. I'm having to eat xgfx these days too, so I'm adapting the recipes as well.

Julie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:11 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I made the smoky curls today too. I have only tasted one (a few) straight from the pan, but yes they are awesome! I bought soy curls especially for this recipe and it was very much worth it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:44 am 
Bathes in Braggs

When I make CTate's queso GF I use chickpea flour instead of the wheat flour.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:58 am 
Inflexitarian

I'm so happy you like the Smoky Curls! I think the off flavor was the bob's flour. Just sub additional cornstarch for the wheat flour or gf oat flour. Either should work fine. Let me know if you have any issues with it or if you have any more questions. I'm having to eat xgfx these days too, so I'm adapting the recipes as well.

Julie[/quote]

Thanks so much, Julie! I've posted a followup question in the xgfx room about flours. I will get some gf oat flour and try that. Which other recipes have you successfully adapted?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:31 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I'm not sure what happened, but I made the crispy banana-cinnamon waffles and I got four seven-inch Belgian waffles instead of the eleven the recipe is supposed to yield. Is a standard Belgian waffle much smaller than mine? Though I haven't noticed this problem with other recipes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:40 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Anybody who's made the pot roast--what's the texture like before you put it in the slow cooker? I've never made seitan before and mine was kind of wet and really spongy. I was thinking it should be more like chickpea cutlets, firmer and more stringy. It's in the slow cooker now, so I'll see how it turns out, just wondering if that's normal.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:38 pm 
Huffs Nooch

made the seitan pastrami on Friday and served Reubens on Saturday night. ZOMG, it was amazing.

What should I cook next?? I can't decide!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:24 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I made the cheese last night, and am wondering how long I can expect it to keep for. The 3-day rule?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:33 am 
Saggy Butt

I just won a copy of this cookbook, and after reading about how delicious the recipes are, I'm super-anxious to get it in the mail! I've been checking my box compulsively! It sounds like I'm getting a great cookbook.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:39 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I just picked this book up from the library and have about 20 pages tagged for recipes I want to try. Everything looks amazing, and these are some pretty rave reviews on here! Might have to buy this one when my two weeks are up.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm steaming the breakfast sausage patties right now. I ran out of garlic powder, so I added some fancy roasted garlic powder I always forget I have in my random spice bag pile. Excited to try tomorrow for brunch!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:40 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

masuphl wrote:
I made the cheese last night, and am wondering how long I can expect it to keep for. The 3-day rule?

It should keep for a week, I think. Although I've never thrown anything out after three days. I pretty much keep all food for a week.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:05 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

ijustdiedinside wrote:
masuphl wrote:

It should keep for a week, I think. Although I've never thrown anything out after three days. I pretty much keep all food for a week.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:47 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Pumpkin pancakes for breakfast this morning - I have yet to be disappointed in this cookbook! They were great.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:40 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Oh my goodness. I just made the Diner-Style Dressing. My life is complete.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:50 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

jdfunks wrote:
I'm steaming the breakfast sausage patties right now. I ran out of garlic powder, so I added some fancy roasted garlic powder I always forget I have in my random spice bag pile. Excited to try tomorrow for brunch!

I don't think these are for me, but they're really easy to make! They were too salty for my tastebuds, so I'll blame the garlic sub, or something.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:44 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

So I really want to make the Smoky Mountain cheeze. I've never worked with agar agar before and of course picked up flakes instead of powder. Do you think flakes will work for this recipe? If so, how should I adjust the quantity? Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:55 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Whoops. Apparently all I needed to do to answer my question was to flip to the second page of the recipe. Love it when cookbook authors anticipate everything.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:19 pm 
Huffs Nooch

After having such great results with the pastrami/reubens, I went ahead and made the chicken loaf thingie (i forget what it's called in the book). It was pretty good, although it ended up a little sweet, at least for my application (chikn parmagiana with Daiya). But I would absolutely make it again, just with more salt, probably.

Highly recommend this book.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:37 pm 
Huffs Nooch

finally did the Smoky Soy Curls -- way too much agave for my palate, but still amazing. I'd probably halve the amount of sweetener to increase enjoyment.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:45 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I made the Chicken Style Seitan Roast and added it to the Veggies and Dumplings. Perfect comfort food! I am still stuffed and I ate about two hours ago. I am not sure what I am going to do with the rest of the roast, but I know it won't go to waste. I am so glad I let the ppk talk me into getting this book. I love it.

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 789 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 32  Next