| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 74  Next
 Post subject: Re: bisque about your period
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:47 am 
Dildo Queen

i'm scared because i just woke up and i have yet to empty my diva cup and put it back in...i know that as soon as it pops again i'm going to have cramps all day and i am gone for 8 hours today :(

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:32 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I'm starting to get worried. I've noticed that my PMS is getting worse. I've been having scary bouts of depression before my period starts over the last few months. Maybe it's just stress from losing my job, but It's really starting to worry me. Any Idea what's going on?

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:02 am 
Dildo Queen

OMG YOU GUYS
i was emptying my cup and was holding it, folded, about it to put it back in when it slipped out of my fingers (wet from rinsing the cup) and it fell INTO THE forking TOILET!

I DIED! I forking DIED! okay i didn't die but i went like O_O
and disgusted i pulled it out. luckily it was my own toilet that no one else ever uses, and i keep it clean, but yo. that is awful. i rinsed it under piping hot water for a while then lathered it up really well with glycerin soap for like 3 minutes and put it back in. should i have boiled it? probably should have boiled it.
I'M DISGUSTING

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:07 am 
Dildo Queen

AutumnLeaves wrote:
I'm starting to get worried. I've noticed that my PMS is getting worse. I've been having scary bouts of depression before my period starts over the last few months. Maybe it's just stress from losing my job, but It's really starting to worry me. Any Idea what's going on?

it's probably stress exacerbated by fluctuating hormone levels, but i've heard of women experiencing moderate-severe depression during this time. have you tried st. john's wort? if you make a tea of it and drink it on a regular basis you should notice a difference in your PMS symptoms the next time you have them. ginseng, chamomile, and licorice root are good, too. you can buy these herbs in bulk and make your own teas with them. st john's wort apparently decreases the effectiveness of birth control pills and anti-depressant medications but on its own it is helpful.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:55 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

So does or doesn't the cramp bark work then...? I haven't seen any evidence supporting it. Not that it matters in my case, since reducing blood loss and migraines are higher on my list of priorities.

As far as PMS/PMDD go, the use of calcium and possibly vitamin B6 and chasteberry (not safe for pregnant people) seem to be supported:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19923637
St John's wort doesn't look that great in terms of treating depression associated with PMS:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20155996

B6 seems to stop me from getting moody (but it didn't work for what I was taking it for), but, honestly, if your depression is scaring you, see a doctor. It could be PMDD.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:13 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

semiautomatic wrote:
OMG YOU GUYS
i was emptying my cup and was holding it, folded, about it to put it back in when it slipped out of my fingers (wet from rinsing the cup) and it fell INTO THE forking TOILET!

and disgusted i pulled it out. luckily it was my own toilet that no one else ever uses, and i keep it clean, but yo. that is awful. i rinsed it under piping hot water for a while then lathered it up really well with glycerin soap for like 3 minutes and put it back in. should i have boiled it? probably should have boiled it.
I'M DISGUSTING

That's not gross, it must have got clean by then. It's only water in the toilet really isn't it?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:18 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Morgyn wrote:
My implant makes me start bleeding at random, with no warning, and that means all my sheets are ruined. My boyfriend likes to remind me that they're actually HIS sheets and seems to think I could just stop bleeding if I really wanted to.

Mine too, it's ridiculous. I can go for months without a period, now I've been bleeding for 2 weeks! I don't get bad cramp or anything (don't kill me please!), but it's so annoying not knowing at all when I'll come on.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:11 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I have never been so happy to have a period start before, ever. It has been threatening to start for over a week, and it is nowhere near any of the usual times of the month, but it finally started today. I've never bothered to really keep track, so doctors always think I am a moron when they ask when the last cycle was and I never know. After this craziness, I got an ipad app that keeps track of everything, including symptoms.

Remember that freaking 13lbs I gained for no reason in about a week and a half? At least 7 of them seemed to have gone poof in the past 2 days. I must have been retaining water like crazy. At least now I don't have what looks and feels like a beach ball on my stomach. Hopefully everything will be back to normal after this. (fingers crossed)

I was crying most of the day yesterday, half because I've been depressed for other reasons, and half because of crazy woman PMS, so I feel a LOT better today. I haven't yelled at Molly yet or felt like throwing anything.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:15 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

AutumnLeaves wrote:

Stress will do that, big time. I am prone to crying and depression before my period and it is always magnified if I am already feeling low. If I am feeling more or less ok, the period depression isn't too noticeable, but if I already have masked symptoms, I sometimes feel like a crazy woman about to lose control with PMS.

In the past, taking evening primrose oil has helped a lot, but it only helps if you take it regularly. I should get some and start again.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:26 pm 
Dildo Queen

Chipmunk wrote:
So does or doesn't the cramp bark work then...? I haven't seen any evidence supporting it. Not that it matters in my case, since reducing blood loss and migraines are higher on my list of priorities.

As far as PMS/PMDD go, the use of calcium and possibly vitamin B6 and chasteberry (not safe for pregnant people) seem to be supported:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19923637
St John's wort doesn't look that great in terms of treating depression associated with PMS:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20155996

B6 seems to stop me from getting moody (but it didn't work for what I was taking it for), but, honestly, if your depression is scaring you, see a doctor. It could be PMDD.

cramp bark definitely works. it takes about 1/2 hour to really kick in (i make teas with it) like most medications and keeps the cramps away.

st john's wort is useful if you have the kind of depression that doesn't come with anxiety.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:27 pm 
Dildo Queen

bigpinkjellybean wrote:
semiautomatic wrote:
OMG YOU GUYS

I'M DISGUSTING

That's not gross, it must have got clean by then. It's only water in the toilet really isn't it?

well good news so far i haven't experienced an infection so it's clean :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:01 pm 
Naked Under Apron

semiautomatic wrote:
it's probably stress exacerbated by fluctuating hormone levels, but i've heard of women experiencing moderate-severe depression during this time. have you tried st. john's wort? if you make a tea of it and drink it on a regular basis you should notice a difference in your PMS symptoms the next time you have them. ginseng, chamomile, and licorice root are good, too. you can buy these herbs in bulk and make your own teas with them. st john's wort apparently decreases the effectiveness of birth control pills and anti-depressant medications but on its own it is helpful.

Quote:
Stress will do that, big time. I am prone to crying and depression before my period and it is always magnified if I am already feeling low. If I am feeling more or less ok, the period depression isn't too noticeable, but if I already have masked symptoms, I sometimes feel like a crazy woman about to lose control with PMS.

In the past, taking evening primrose oil has helped a lot, but it only helps if you take it regularly. I should get some and start again.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Thanks for the suggestions. I just had a really bad bout last week, and it really frighted me I felt like I was losing my mind.

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:53 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Day two is the worst day because the diva cup is useless and pads fail so hard.
also cramps and confused sex drive/emotions.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:54 am 
Not NOT A Furry

semiautomatic wrote:
bigpinkjellybean wrote:
semiautomatic wrote:
OMG YOU GUYS

I'M DISGUSTING

well good news so far i haven't experienced an infection so it's clean :D

Yay!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:51 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'm thinking about going off of birth control. I just don't feel right on it. I'm on ortho tricyclen lo and I love the fact that I don't have to worry so much about getting preggers, but that's basically it. I had horrible cramps, I was never regular, yadda yadda. Anybody in here think that bc is unnatural? Because I get nauseous on it and I suspect that I've gained weight.
Here are my questions:
1. What are your thoughts on bc? Good/bad?
2. Have any of you tried the more natural family planning methods like temperature readings and such? And the ever disturbing mucus check?
3. Are there any more natural, less horomonally invasive bc methods besides condoms?

Thanks!

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:50 pm 

semiautomatic wrote:
cramp bark definitely works. it takes about 1/2 hour to really kick in (i make teas with it) like most medications and keeps the cramps away.
Maybe I misunderstood, but your post about putting your cup in suggested to me that it might not, or maybe actually drinking it might just be inconvenient. Cramps have stopped being an issue for me since I stopped trying to ignore the migraines and abnormally heavy bleeding and started taking NSAIDs to fix them.

sarahnorine wrote:
I'm thinking about going off of birth control. I just don't feel right on it. I'm on ortho tricyclen lo and I love the fact that I don't have to worry so much about getting preggers, but that's basically it. I had horrible cramps, I was never regular, yadda yadda. Anybody in here think that bc is unnatural? Because I get nauseous on it and I suspect that I've gained weight.
Here are my questions:
2. Have any of you tried the more natural family planning methods like temperature readings and such? And the ever disturbing mucus check?
3. Are there any more natural, less horomonally invasive bc methods besides condoms?

Thanks!

I think hormonal contraceptives can be an appropriate choice for some people but not others. If sticking to what's "natural" wa smy biggest concern, I'd have to forgo contraception altogether; not an option, really. If you're experiencing side effects, maybe what you're taking right now isn't the best solution for you. You might want to look at the IUD thread for info about non-hormonal copper IUDs. My mother has been using it for over two decades with no major problems, bar some heavier bleeding. I already lose a lot more blood than the average person without one, so I wouldn't get one myself. I've used fertility signs, i.e. waking temperature and cervical mucus, as "backup". It's nice to know that your period is going to be "late" because you ovulated a little later, rather than freaking out about possible condom failure (although condoms are pretty effective). Plus, I know I'm actually ovulating regularly. Don't fear the mucus! Granted, I used to have a job cutting up human tissue samples, but once you know what fertile mucus looks like, you'll know it when you see it. Fertility signs by themselves wouldn't work for me, since I could be looking at up to two weeks of avoiding during a longer cycle, which doesn't mesh that well with my particular situation.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:12 pm 

Chipmunk wrote:
semiautomatic wrote:
Maybe I misunderstood, but your post about putting your cup in suggested to me that it might not, or maybe actually drinking it might just be inconvenient. Cramps have stopped being an issue for me since I stopped trying to ignore the migraines and abnormally heavy bleeding and started taking NSAIDs to fix them.

sarahnorine wrote:
Here are my questions:

Thanks!

I think hormonal contraceptives can be an appropriate choice for some people but not others. If sticking to what's "natural" wa smy biggest concern, I'd have to forgo contraception altogether; not an option, really. If you're experiencing side effects, maybe what you're taking right now isn't the best solution for you. You might want to look at the IUD thread for info about non-hormonal copper IUDs. My mother has been using it for over two decades with no major problems, bar some heavier bleeding. I already lose a lot more blood than the average person without one, so I wouldn't get one myself. I've used fertility signs, i.e. waking temperature and cervical mucus, as "backup". It's nice to know that your period is going to be "late" because you ovulated a little later, rather than freaking out about possible condom failure (although condoms are pretty effective). Plus, I know I'm actually ovulating regularly. Don't fear the mucus! Granted, I used to have a job cutting up human tissue samples, but once you know what fertile mucus looks like, you'll know it when you see it. Fertility signs by themselves wouldn't work for me, since I could be looking at up to two weeks of avoiding during a longer cycle, which doesn't mesh that well with my particular situation.

I've considered the IUD, but my boyfriend is saying that since I've been on birth control, I've been a lot less moody. Is this true for others? I was wondering...are there any holistic or nutritional remedies for PMS/cramps?
Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:27 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Morgyn wrote:
My implant makes me start bleeding at random, with no warning, and that means all my sheets are ruined. My boyfriend likes to remind me that they're actually HIS sheets and seems to think I could just stop bleeding if I really wanted to.

Punch him in the dick and tell him it would stop hurting if he really wanted to and then DTMFA!

I had lots of anxiety lasting for over a week during my last period, and lots of acne (seriously, I look like I've been shot in the face by a barrel full of shale) which has lasted all month since then. Acne and jowls should not share the same face >:[ Now my period has decided to come 6 days early, just in time to mess with my head, make me exhausted and bloated on my first night out in ages, forker.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:40 pm 
Dildo Queen

Chipmunk wrote:
semiautomatic wrote:

on the first day of this cycle it was the worst but i came home and used cramp bark and i actually haven't had any cramps since the first day, which is nice. i bought cramp bark for the first time a few months ago, so i've only had two periods since then, including this one, and the first time i wasn't really using cramp bark i was drinking red raspberry leaf. it is inconvenient when i'ma t school or working and i can't sit down and drink some tea (well, i could do this at work) but being at home while on my period is comforting in general - and i think that's part of the problem. but yeah - see if you can find some cramp bark! it's awesome. i promise. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:47 pm 

sarahnorine wrote:
I've considered the IUD, but my boyfriend is saying that since I've been on birth control, I've been a lot less moody. Is this true for others? I was wondering...are there any holistic or nutritional remedies for PMS/cramps?
Thanks again!

I tend to go for "whatever works" rather nutritional fixes per se, but taking a multi that's high in B-vitamins seems to make a difference for me. See my post and links (this one in particular http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19923637) above.

I just dug up a link I posted on the old boards:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18559957
Quote:
Lifestyle Modification
Lifestyle changes are recommended for all women experiencing PMS or PMDD symptoms and should be initiated at the start of and throughout the diagnostic process of prospective symptom charting.5 Lifestyle modifications for the treatment of PMS/PMDD include dietary changes, exercise, cognitive behavioral therapies, and complementary and alternative medicine, and may be all that is necessary to lessen mild-to-moderate symptoms. Dietary recommendations include premenstrual decreases in caffeine, salt, and refined sugars and smaller, more frequent meals to help diminish irritability, insomnia, fluid retention, breast tenderness, bloating, and weight gain.9,20 Minor evidence suggests that an increase in complex carbohydrates in the form of a drink supplement decreases mood changes, based on the theory that complex carbohydrates lead to an increase in tryptophan, a precursor to serotonin production.20,23 Exercise has been theorized to increase endorphins and has been shown to significantly improve mood and decrease lethargy.24 Although no significant evidence conclusively proves that these changes actually decrease PMS/PMDD symptoms, such lifestyle habits can lead to improved overall health. Cognitive behavioral therapy, including relaxation and sleep hygiene, may be effective treatment for physical and emotional premenstrual symptoms and is most effective in women with severe symptoms.25

Vitamin/Herbal Supplementation
Vitamin and herbal supplementation has been studied in the treatment of PMS/PMDD symptoms. Evidence suggests that calcium 600 mg twice daily taken during the luteal phase significantly reduces emotional and physical symptoms of PMS/PMDD by the second or third treatment cycle (Level 2).26 A systematic review of 5 randomized controlled trials and one intervention study determined that pyridoxine (vitamin B6) 50–100 mg/day may improve premenstrual depressive symptoms (Level 3).27 Although the quality of most studies was poor and a significant treatment effect could not be resolved, pyridoxine may be effective as adjunct treatment to help decrease depressive symptoms. Daily doses should not exceed 100 mg/day to avoid adverse effects such as peripheral neuropathy.28 Chasteberry (Vitex agnus-castus fruit extract) has recently been evaluated for its benefit in decreasing PMS symptoms and has demonstrated superiority over placebo in relieving irritability, anger, mood swings, headache, and breast fullness (Level 2).29 Some data suggest that chasteberry may have efficacy similar to that of the antidepressant fluoxetine.30 Other supplements and herbs such as magnesium, manganese, vitamins D and E, St. John's wort, and evening primrose oil have been suggested for the treatment of PMS/PMDD symptoms; however, due to lack of efficacy evidence, they should not be considered as treatment options.9,21

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:21 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

fork you heightened sex drive. F. U.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:26 am 

Whenever I get crampy I lay around mopily thinking about my uterus bursting through my abdomen alien style. That has never happened, though.

ANYWAY, hey period. Nice to see you, I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I usually have a really light period, like 3 days maximum, barely any blood.
But OH MY GOD this month its in-fucking-sane how much blood there is.
ewwwww.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:21 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I went off birth control in august, got a period on time a month later, and haven't had one since, and only recently remembered it had been a while and that I'm supposed to get periods (I have pcos, before BC I got periods in the frequency of 6 weeks to 9 months apart). ugh, being sexually active and not having any idea when my period will come is not a good idea, me...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:05 pm 

Totally PMS'ing. Ugh. But! My trip to NYC is on Wednesday so maybe my sugar-cravings will suit me well, as I'll be freaking hungry all the time and craving horrible things in one of the best places to be a hungry vegan. Wahoo.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 74  Next