| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Saskatoon
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:35 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Anyone? I'm going to be there for 4 weeks in October/early November for a school placement. Will I starve?

Post subject: Re: Saskatoon
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:44 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Haven't been there myself, but I met some really awesome people from there at Rebelles, and I think one of them was vegetarian or vegan! So don't be scared!

I find Urbanspoon helpful, they have a list of voted best vegan friendly restaurants: http://www.urbanspoon.com/t/281/2/Saska ... estaurants

Happy Cow is also useful, it lists some health groceries stores that cater to vegetarians and vegans: http://www.happycow.net/north_america/c ... saskatoon/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:27 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks. I did check out Happy Cow... doesn't look like there is too much but I guess it could be worse.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:44 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I really wish I could remember the name of it, but I ate at a great sushi restaurant in downtown Saskatoon. It was kind of tucked off to the side, almost in a mini-strip mall. They had lots of different vegan rolls, and while their typical miso soup has fish sauce, they offered to make me some without. They also carry gluten-free tamari if you prefer it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:18 pm 
Huffs Nooch

You won't starve if you do Asian food. There is a great Thai place called Thien Vietnam on 3rd Ave South; big portions that I can never finish myself.

The Broadway Cafe was happy to change around their veggie wrap to make it vegan. It's a pretty big city, so they've got all the regular vegan friendly fast food places like Pita Pit and Subway. There is the Spadina Freehouse which has a few veg-friendly items; it's pretty laid back and artsy.

I'm surprised to see the Park on the top vegan friendly restaurants. I went there when I was pre-gan and it seemed like a greasy spoon, bacon and eggs all day kind of place.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:17 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Otowa Japanese Restaurant is downtown, I've eaten there with my family and we LOVE it! The people who work(ed? it's been years!) there are great with vegan substitutions for the sushi. Very highly recommend! It is downtown, but it's a fairly large stand-alone place, the ambience is great! I don't remember it being away in a strip mall, so not sure if it's the one you mean, Robynn?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:32 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Check out Earthbound Bakery. Yes, a shameless plug for my workplace, but I do all the vegan baking there and I have to say, it's pretty damn good. And about 95% of the bread is vegan. And we do serve lunch as well!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:30 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Not sure if that's the place or not 1strangegirlbygolly! - it's been a couple of years since I have been there, and it was dark when we found it. I wish my memory was better right now!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just moved from Saskatoon a year ago, I lived there for 5 years.

There's actually a really good Ethiopian place - Saba's. Lots of veggie options.

The Freehouse (downtown, by the river, nice location) usually has a few tofu options on their menu.

Avocado is a mexican/lounge kind of place, nice if you're going out for a few drinks and want a nice atmosphere. You can get veggie options without cheese. They also have sweet potato fries.

Dad's is a health food store on 8th street, Steep Hill is a food co-op on Broadway with a lot of hippy stuff and health food stuff. They used to get their produce delivery on Mondays, don't know if that's still true.

There's a few different sushi places in town. Sushiro right off Broadway is pretty good, kind of expensive. We used to go to an all you can eat place on 8th street when we wanted to pig out, I think the name of the restaurant was actually "All You Can Eat Sushi." It was okay.

The Yard & Flagon is a popular pub on Broadway. I think they had a housemade veggie burger but I don't know if it was vegan, I never really went there for food, just for beer. :)

That's just off the top of my head. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me! Being vegan in Saskatoon wasn't THAT hard. Although now that I live near SF I don't know if I could go back. :)

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Also, there are a few Indian restaurants as well with veg options.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:25 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Wow, thanks guys. I'll try to check all those places out in the short time I'm there. I'm really excited - the place I am working (Sherbrooke Community Centre) sounds incredible.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:31 am 
Saggy Butt

When I was there in August there was a new place downtown my sister wanted to take me too called Green Leaf. We didn't make it there but I think it's a salad bar, so there should be decent options.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh my gosh, I can't believe I forgot about Upstairs Fondue. It's a fondue place (obviously) but they have a lot of vegan options. They have a vegan cheese sauce you can get, plus fake chicken and beef and lots of veggies. Some of the chocolate fondues are vegan and they have fruit to go with it. If you say you are vegan the servers are really helpful with pointing out what is vegan and what isn't.

I've never been to that place during the day, but I think they have sandwiches and stuff with vegan options. I've only been for fancy fondue dinners.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:55 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

KEO'S KITCHEN!

It's a Thai/Laotian place that makes their own veg fish sauce and has the best Thai food I've ever had. I still dream about their curries with sticky rice. I love it so much. Just make sure to ask for everything vegan, because they do also do non-veg stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:12 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Is that Fondue place really $84 for two people? Holy smokes... but I really want to go.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:33 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I think the vegan one is $80 for 2 people. I only went there for special occasions like my wedding anniversary and one year my husband took me for my birthday. It's a nice place for a fancy dinner, but not an every day type place. I just looked at the online menu, looks like they got rid of the fake veggie meat for the entree fondue, but now they have vegan pierogi and ravioli or something like that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:20 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

VEGAN PIEROGI!??!?! I will move to Saskatoon. You better not be mistaken.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

It's what their website says! They didn't have it last time I was there. You might want to call and verify before packing up and moving though. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:29 pm 
Huffs Nooch

My boyfriend's mom makes awesome potato perogies... but I just want to be like "Stick some nooch in there and I will love you forever."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:36 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I went to Earthbound Bakery, maybe I saw you there. I was the one asking about vegan stuff. And then the family I'm staying came in this morning also asking about vegan stuff. The cookies are delicious!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

When I lived in S'toon we used to buy this garlic focaccia at Earthbound that had roasted garlic kneaded into the dough, it was soooo good! If you are ever looking for a delicious bread get that one!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:16 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Ooooh, that sounds wonderful. The olive bread we got was tasty, too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:30 am 
Saggy Butt

I'm going to be in Saskatoon during the long weekend, anything new I should check out?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:06 am 
Saggy Butt

Well we didn’t go out to eat anywhere but I did make it to Earthbound Bakery where I got an perfect loaf of yam bread, plus they gave me a free baguette! I’d love to go back there for lunch sometime.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:50 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I haven't been there in years - but I used to love going to Earthbound Bakery, I always thought they were so nice and they always answered all of my vegan questions.