Deep Space Nine 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
Voyager 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
Enterprise 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Make my Gene, Parmesan. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 72
 Post subject: Star Trek Thread
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:41 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

To get this party started what is your favourite series, character, alien species, episode, villian, and movie?

Come on, talk trekkie to me.

Post subject: Re: Star Trek Thread
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:58 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Favourite Series: Next Generation
Favourite Character: Data (and that's really really hard to choose him over Spock)
Favourite alien species: Vulcans
Favourite episode: The Measure Of A Man, in which a scientist tries to declare Data property of Starfleet so he can basically shut him down, open him up and learn how to make more androids. Captain Picard fights to have Data's personhood recognized.
Favourite Villain: KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!
Movie: I actually really liked the new one, but I'm going to have to go with Star Trek IV. You can't beat Spock talking to whales. You can't.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:22 am 

Shy Mox wrote:
You can't beat Spock talking to whales. You can't.

No you can't, Spock is wonderfully vegan in so many ways.
Speaking of whales, I've found music for our trek party:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:26 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Life is now complete with Star Trek rap.

Star Trek Dance Party!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:49 am 

I want to go to a dance club with Picard so bad right now.

I never answered my own questions so here:
Series: Voyager (I wrote a paper about how Janeway was my hero when I was in grade 5)
Character: Seven of Nine
Alien species: I'll have to say Klingons because they remind me of my own family
Episode: Scorpion - Seven of Nine is introduced and taken from the collective.
Villian: Borg
Movie: I'll have to go with IV too, but I like Insurrection as well because I remember being horrified of Ru'afo has a kid. Also because of Data in the haystacks and Tom Morello.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:18 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I don't think I could pick a favorite. TNG was my first and I love it in a special way but I also watched the TOS movies a lot as a kid. Then I watched DS9 a couple years ago and I think it is probably the highest quality.

Last night I watched the TNG ep where Troi gets whammied with the nevative thoughts of an ambassador and gets really shrill and then starts to rapidly age and act like a jealous psycho bisque. I never really thought about it at the time but now I keep wondering what point they were making?

You all should rewatch it and let me know what you think.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:35 am 
Inflexitarian

Some years ago I would have named DS9 my favourite series, but lately I've been watching TNG in TV repeats from the beginning, and it's really so good.

Character: Data. Just love 'im.
Alien species: The Ferengi, man. Hilarious. Quark is probably my second-favourite character.
Episode: Time's Arrow, probably.
Villian: The Borg. Perfect.
Movie: First Contact... the contact scene often makes me tear up a bit. *blush*

ETA: I agree with LazySmurf that DS9 has the highest quality - production and writing-wise. So my answer really is DS9 - best, and TNG - favourite.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:26 am 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

I'm rewatching DS9, TNG, and Voyager all at once. TNG is my fave, DS9 is awesome, and Voyager sometimes makes me want to cry in anger at how irritating it can be. Still, I enjoy it. But I can't help but cringe when I think of things like Tuvix...

Ferengis are my fave species too, but my fave alien characters are definitely the Duras sisters.

I was just watching the TNG ep where Troi goes sex crazy with a negotiator. Weirdest TNG ep in my opinion. I mean.... really?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:45 am 
Nailed to the V

Favourite Series: Next Generation by a good amount, then DS9. I think Voyager was pretty bad, and TOS is way too dated for me to enjoy.
Favourite Character: Worf, he really shines in Season 4.
Favourite alien species: I have a huge problem with aliens in Star Trek, mainly because the only species that aren't nearly identical to eachother are humans. It's similar to this trope: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlanetOfHats
Favourite episode: The Measure Of A Man is really good, I also like the Wounded.
Favourite Villain: Lore
Movie: I can't stand most of them and I think the latest was horrible. Sulu owns and uses a katana? really? They might as well made him eat fried rice and miso soup during every scene while wearing a kimono. They also are really bad at plausible time travel, like nearly every Trek episode/series that deals with it.

And another Trek rant, it's hailed as being oh so progressive but when even slightly analyzed it's laughable, especially TNG.

With the exception of Yar, who is killed off halfway through season 1 the three recurring women are strictly caretakers. Troi is a mental caretaker, Crusher is a physical caretaker, and Guinan is a listener. Rubbish.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:50 am 
A Bad Person

Thessaly wrote:
But I can't help but cringe when I think of things like Tuvix...

Don't forget the episode where they go too fast and Janeway and Paris turn into lizard slugs because that's the future of humanity! Oh, Voyager. You're the forking worst.

I loved TNG as a kid. I never got it on DVD because the sets were so expensive, so I've been rewatching it on Netflix. Watching it now has given me a new love for Klingons. I love the episode where Riker and a Klingon officer swap ships. Klingon captain spots some rust on his hull? "Engage cloaking device, set an intercept course for the Enterprise, I'm blowing it up!" He's one ship and he doesn't even have a Vor'cha attack cruiser. He's going to destroy the Federation flagship with an old asparagus Bird of Prey. OVER A SPOT OF RUST!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:55 am 
A Bad Person

Also, Trek trivia, did you know that Mick Fleetwood has a cameo in TNG? It's true! He was a fish-man assassin! http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Manhunt_%28episode%29

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:57 am 
A Bad Person

Oh and here's my big complaint about the JJ Abrams Star Trek: why does the Romulan mining vessel look like a goddamned doomsday device? Is it really necessary for a mining ship to be so pointy? It's like someone designed a ship and JJ shouted "POINTIER! POINTIER!" until he got that awful thing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:11 am 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

brian wrote:
Oh and here's my big complaint about the JJ Abrams Star Trek: why does the Romulan mining vessel look like a goddamned doomsday device? Is it really necessary for a mining ship to be so pointy? It's like someone designed a ship and JJ shouted "POINTIER! POINTIER!" until he got that awful thing.

I'm just mad that the Romulans don't look anything like I want Romulans to look like. Also, their revenge plot is to totally ridiculous and contrived. But my biggest complaint (aside from Spock/Uhura) was the forking Nokia commercial that the movie starts off with. I am still mad at how shitty this movie was. Every time I watch it I hate it more.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:20 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Series: DS9. I'm a sucker for arcs, but TNG is an incredibly close second.
Character: Garak. Or Shran. God, I love Shran.
Alien species: Vulcans.
Episode: "In the Pale Moonlight" (yes, the infamous "It's a faaaake" episode).
Villian: Romulans. (No, I don't know what was up with them in the movie—they don't count.)
Movie: XI.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:25 am 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

Also, I'd like to point out that the Enterprise theme song is the worst thing ever. Whoever thought that adding bad vocals was a good idea should be fired.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:28 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Thessaly wrote:
Also, I'd like to point out that the Enterprise theme song is the worst thing ever. Whoever thought that adding bad vocals was a good idea should be fired.

I've got faaaaaith of tha haaaaaht…
I thought I had purged that from my memory.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:04 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

No option for the movies?! That's what I would have voted for because that's the stuff I've seen the most of. As far as shows go, I chose Voyager because that's the series I've seen the most of.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:32 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Favorite Series: Original and Next Generation tie
Favorite Character: Spock
Favorite alien species: Vulcans
Favorite episode: Corbomite Maneuver, Return of the Archons (beginning of The Borg?!), or Space Sed (KHAN)
Favorite Villain: not sure!
Movie: I haven't seen a lot of them.. new one was ok.

It's going to take us our lifetimes, but P and I are rewatching all series on Netflix.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:20 pm 
Saggy Butt

Favourite Series: Next Generation (to be fair, this is the only one that I've seen all of, we're in the middle of watching the other series right now)
Favourite Character: Worf. Before I knew anything about star trek, the scene with him as Keiko's birth coach saying "you are 10 cm dilated, you may now give birth" convinced me to watch the show.
Favourite alien species: Any that are more than just actors with makeup. I like my aliens to *actually* be alien
Favourite episode: Redemption Part I & II
Favourite Villain: Borg Queen, mostly because Alice Krige plays her so well.
Movie: The original.

Aside: we just had an all-staff meeting where an epic discussion of tribbles and DS9 took place, and earlier today I had a conversation with our new executive director comparing the acceptance of social media to Enterprise.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:17 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Fave series: tie between original (such a campy classic) and TNG
Character: I don't want to be cliche and say Spock, so I need to go with Q
Alien Species: Vulcans of course
Fave episode: "Deja Q" where Q loses his powers and Picard throws him in the brig.
Favorite villian: the Borg were the best new villians on that show in a long time
Movie: The Voyage Home is classic. I love the scenes with Scotty trying to talk to the 80's computer, and Chekov asking how to find the "nuclear wessel".

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:02 pm 

brian wrote:
Don't forget the episode where they go too fast and Janeway and Paris turn into lizard slugs because that's the future of humanity! Oh, Voyager. You're the forking worst.

I'm going to defend Voyager by pointing out that every season has horrid episodes. It is part of the Trek charm.

I got all the movies today at Value Village for 8 bucks, and they had all of TNG on VHS (it would cost 50 to buy them all). I'm tempted to go back for them on payday. Also I went stencilling last night:
Originally it said "It's logical" underneath, but I'm new to freehand stencilling and I forked up, hence post-it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I like Voyager!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Favourite series - TNG, always. It's the only one I watched from beginning to end, and I still love it. I like DS9, never watched much of TOS, Voyager was pretty crepe, and Enterprise can die in a fire.
Favourite character - Data
Favourite alien species - As someone said above, any that actually look alien and not just someone painted blue (I'm looking at you, Bolians).
Favourite episode - Q-pid - It's a comedy episode, but I love it.
Favourite villain - Q (he totally counts!)
Favourite movie - I'm not a huge fan of the movies, so I'm just gonna say First Contact

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:29 pm 
Inflexitarian

I wish I'd mentioned Q and Worf in my answers too! I'm sticking with my choices, but these guys between them have some of the best lines and scenes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:21 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I love the episode where Worf has to take care of Data's cat, Spot. Data is going through this list of instructions on Spot's favorite food and how to pet him and stuff and Worf is holding the cat straight out at arms length and replies, "I will feed it". Classic!