| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 771 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Veganomicon
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:51 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Made the 5 Minute Mango Chutney for the first time last night (with some added cilantro). UMMM best thing EVER? Loved it, and even though it took more like 10 minutes, it was so quick!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:26 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
I'd like to make the Mediterranean Tomato and Zucchini Fritters tonight, but I'm cooking for a walnut hater. What nut would best replace the walnuts?

you could use any other nut. almonds would be good.

I did end up using almonds and the Fritters came out delicious.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:44 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the red lentil cauliflower curry the other day, I don't know why I'd never made it before. It's awesome! And I loved that it kept me fed for days.

I made the lemon bars for the first time too, but used agar powder instead of flakes and I think I overcooked it a bit because the topping is a fair bit more solid than I'd expected. But the base is super delicious.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:37 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

The red lentil and cauliflower curry was delicious! I made it with brown lentils since I couldn't find red and served it with whole wheat pita for scooping. I'll definitely make that again.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:36 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I love the red lentil cauli dish too, so satisfying.

I just bought another copy of VCon to give as a gift to a new vegan!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:44 pm 

Made the black bean burgers tonight, delicious!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:43 pm 
Tofu Pup

I made the leek & bean cassoulet yesterday for my supper club (all omni but me!) and they inhaled it. And had seconds. :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:09 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

I made the cassoulet last night. Omniboyfriend freaked out over it, called it perfect and proceeded to eat 4 biscuits worth. On first bite, he said he could eat the the pan, so I'm glad he restrained himself. I thought it was really good, too, and it was an awesome first dish for my thrifted Le Cruesset pan.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

Last edited by kara kara on Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:15 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

That cassoulet is one of the most amazing things i have ever made. it is super impressive and everyone loves it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:50 am 

So last night I cooked up some penne and then tossed it with the Marinara recipe from Vcon, then I dolloped (is that a word?) on some Cashew Ricotta from Vcon, swirled it all around to mix it up, and then baked it for about 20 minutes at 350 F. That will cure any lasagna craving I will ever have.

I realize this is not prettiest dish and may end up in a grossest food pic thread. It would have looked prettier if I had reserved some of the sauce to pour over the top.

I agree about the Leek and Bean Cassoulet, I made that the other night and it was really yummy. What could be better than a veggie stew with biscuits baked on top?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:04 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

It does not look gross at all! In fact it looks so delicious I'm having a hard time not drooling on my keyboard! GREAT idea.

once you accept your limits you can go beyond them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:45 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Recently made
Israeli couscous with pistachios and apricots- Really gorgeous with and fragrant with cumin, cinnamon and cardamom. Served it with roasted sweet potatoes, carrots and red onions.
Fresh dill-basmati pilaf with chard and chickpeas- I've made this lots of times and always comes out with lurvely, perfectly cooked spicy rice.
Grilled sweet potato-black bean tortillas- I made the filling in the morning and put it dinner together in under ten minutes! Really lovely and simple
Creole stuffed peppers- Make a KILLER meal served with the stupendous hot sauce glazed tempeh and messy rice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:34 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Today I made the pumpkin crumb cake with pecan streusel, only I used walnuts because that's what I had on hand and I subbed 1/2 cup of the oil with applesauce and 1/2 the flour with whole wheat pastry flour, since I wasn't making it for a special occasion and wanted to keep it semi-healthy. It's very, very good! I might try it the original way for something like Thanksgiving when I won't be eating the entire cake by myself.

I also am in the process of making the Seitanic Red and White Bean Jambalaya, but after sticking it in the oven for 30 minutes, my white rice was still very raw, and I didn't think another 5-10 minutes was going to make a dent in it, so I moved it to the stovetop where it's simmering away now. Hopefully it turns out, because it smells really good!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:43 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Erinnerung wrote:
I made the lemon bars for the first time too, but used agar powder instead of flakes and I think I overcooked it a bit because the topping is a fair bit more solid than I'd expected. But the base is super delicious.

I make these all the time with agar powder (never used flakes) but the topping is pretty solid every time I've made them. I just love them though. It's not a jiggly Jello top at all but really holds its own. Those lemon bars are one of my all-time favorite things!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:22 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Made the Tamarind Lentils for the first time. So good! A must try recipe. Paired it with Millet - cooked according to the basic VCon recipe in the section on how to cook grains - toasted the millet in a pan and then cooked it in water. I've made millet before on my own without toasting it first and didn't like it at all. The VCon way came out great.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:42 am 
Saggy Butt

On Saturday I made a fall favourite of mine using the VCon recipe for the first time - cranberry and orange nut loaf. Like most fruit loafs it is better if it sits for a day or two and today it is perfect. There are some things that I really doubted would work as well without eggs, baked goods like this loaf that I have been making for many years, but it is delicious. In fact I would say most vegan baked goods are better than eggy ones because the egg doesn't overpower the featured ingredients.

Maybe I've said it before but those lemony garlic potatoes deserve an extra ovation. I grew up eating potatoes at nearly every dinner, usually plain boiled with some butter added at the table, and when I eat the lemony ones from VCon I think, How can these be potatoes?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:17 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I finally made the Pumpkin Sage Ziti thing that everyone raves about. It's fantastic! Ate it at work and everyone wanted to know whose food smelled so good.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:56 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

It's cauliflower season which means every week I make the red lentils curry. I actually like to use up to 6 different types of lentils mixed with a larger share of black beluga lentils because they keep their shape better and have a bit of a bite.
So basically I eat this 3 times a week every week.
But I can't believe I haven't tried the baked ziti or the cassoulet yet! Weekend cooking.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I finally got Vcon for my birthday! My mom was super impressed with the book and the number of recipes in it. I don't know what to make first!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:10 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

starrynight87 wrote:
I finally got Vcon for my birthday! My mom was super impressed with the book and the number of recipes in it. I don't know what to make first!

Make the snobby joes! It was the first recipe I made, and it still remains one of my absolute favorites from the book.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:37 pm 
Nailed to the V

Freetahtah wrote:
Today I made the pumpkin crumb cake with pecan streusel, only I used walnuts because that's what I had on hand and I subbed 1/2 cup of the oil with applesauce and 1/2 the flour with whole wheat pastry flour, since I wasn't making it for a special occasion and wanted to keep it semi-healthy. It's very, very good! I might try it the original way for something like Thanksgiving when I won't be eating the entire cake by myself.

I am going to make this tonight, using your substitutions. I was reluctant to make it, since I will be eating the whole thing myself. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:40 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I have been eating so much cauliflower lately and I really need to make the red lentil cauliflower. Why does this cookbook intimidate me a little?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:09 pm 

I was wanting to bake/cook and freeze a bunch of food tonight & tomorrow, and I was wondering if it would be horrible to leek & bean cassoulet to *not* bake the biscuits on top.

The other option is to prep it, and then not actually bake it, and just individually bake it when I want to eat it, but... I dunno. It also seems kinda silly to make a single biscuit each time. Could I also freeze the biscuit dough? It wouldn't really rise too much later, but that's okay, I guess.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:28 am 
Nailed to the V

I made the pumpkin ziti last night after reading this thread. It is as good as everyone says it is! And I found it fun to make, there are a lot of steps but nothing was hard. It's the perfect dish for this weather! And the ricotta will most definitely be made for other things as well.

Vulgar_Wheat - I am not sure about the biscuit thing, but it sounds like it's worth a shot. I wouldn't want to make the biscuits each time.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:59 am 

I think I'm going to just make a whole separate thing of biscuits. They won't get as dumpling-y, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. It'll make it a lot easier to reheat, though.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 771 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 31  Next