| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I don't know much about Munich.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:35 am 
Huffs Nooch

But I will be there. Looking for recs on places to eat & sleep (cheaply). Also used record stores.
danke!

Post subject: Re: I don't know much about Munich.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:41 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

i'm going there too, in december, and would appreciate some vegan restaurant suggestions!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:05 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

There are about 5 veg* restaurants in Munich, some of them are pretty good! I tried them all except one and my favourite by far is Cafe Kopfeck in Klenzenstrasse. It's a punk-ish pub, with a mostly vegan menu and they even make vegan White Russians. The food is absolutely delicious!
Then there is Cafe Ignaz in the Maxvorstadt (the university area). They make decent pizza and have a wide selection of vegan cakes as well as a full menu of vegan dishes, from pasta to soup to whatever. The food is ok but somehow there is something missing, which I think I have figured out being oil. So, just add oil and maybe a bit of salt and the bland food will be delish!
A very nice one is a vegetarian Japanese restaurant, Kaede, in Sommerstrasse, excellent food and cheap prices, most menu can be made vegan.
A super tiny place is Vegelangelo, it's a one-woman-place and she has I think 5 tables all in all, cooks, serves, and cashes, you need to reserve in advance. It's good food.
Last but not least, Prinz Myshkin, a fancy place with high prices. Never been there so no idea how the food is.
Apparently there is a new one, Max Pett, quite close to the city center. Never been there either, I just found out now when googling the addresses...

Sorry but for sleeping and record stores I have no recommendations. However, the area of the Glockebachviertel is where most used stuff stores are, so I guess also record stores could be found there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:23 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Anek wrote:
There are about 5 veg* restaurants in Munich, some of them are pretty good! I tried them all except one and my favourite by far is Cafe Kopfeck in Klenzenstrasse. It's a punk-ish pub, with a mostly vegan menu and they even make vegan White Russians. The food is absolutely delicious!

Yes! I'd recommend calling ahead if you are going on a Saturday night or something, it can get busy. Those White Russians are the best. There is also a great little cafe/tea house called Tushita down the road from there. They don't have a huge menu, it's usually just a few sandwiches and a 'bowl' to choose from but everything I had was beautiful. They also had lots of yummy cakes and pastries. It's not the cheapest but very good quality and a nice place to hang out.

If I remember right, for both Kopfeck and Tushita you get off the UBahn at Fraunhoferstrasse
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraunhoferstra%C3%9Fe

I also liked the Basic Bio stores, large organic grocery stores with lots of veggie things.

PS I stayed with my then-boyfriend, cheapest accommodation of all! But I know lots of Aussies go to Wombats hostel http://www.wombats-hostels.com/munich/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:38 am 
Tofu Pup

unfortunately the kopfeck is already closed down but there´s a vegan brunch every third sunday of the month in the glockenbachwerkstatt called "katerwerkstatt". you can check their facebook page for further information: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Katerwer ... 9279355571

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:59 pm 

Oh noooo! Cafe Kopfeck closed?!?! Why!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:48 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Oh no! That sucks, I found this page about it (in German)
http://www.muenchen-punk.de/news/artike ... ?showall=1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:18 am 
Tofu Pup

yes, that´s really really sad. munich lost a very special and popular location...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:38 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Ah, damn, I never got a chance to check it out. I'll be around again in a few weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'll be there in December too! So the food recs are appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:39 pm 

Anyone been to that Radix shop? I'd like to hunt down some Vegusto, although I could be lazy, save myself the train ticket and get it shipped.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:42 am 

Just to add that I've finally been to Max Pett, an entirely vegan and alcohol-free restaurant, and it was great! I took three omni colleagues and they all liked it. The atmosphere is fresh and pleasant, the menu varied and they have the most delicious icecream ever, with whipped cream which got my colleagues to admit it's much better than dairy whipped cream.
Prices were in the norm, the food was very well presented, and overall I would definitely recommend a visit (or two, three,...)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:35 am 

I was wondering where the place with the ice cream you mentioned elsewhere was! I'm tempted. It's not too far out of the way, and I need to go shoe shopping soon anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:48 pm 

I don't remember mentioning an ice cream place... sadly because it would have been good! However fruit ice cream in italian ice cream shops is usually dairy free (with the notable exception of banana ice cream), so any place is fine.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:39 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

hey hey MUNICH! I am coming to you! I'll be in Piesendorf (Austria) for a couple weeks doing a yoga program in January, and since I'm flying in and out of Munich, i thought I'd give myself a day and a half to check it out. I've never been to Munich before! I'll be there probably 2 nights: Jan 22 & 23 (sunday and monday night)... with lots of time to hang out on Monday (not great, I know), and my flight leaves at 16:00 on the 24th. Anyone (*cough* Anek!? *cough*) wanna hang out or have a meet up or get dinner or anything?? fun! Or go to Max Pett and eat ice cream?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:31 pm 

Yay for visitors!!! I'd love to hang out ameyfm! I'll be in London from Jan 16th for a week, and I was planning to stay the weekend but I can stay the weekend before so I'll be in Munich when you're here. Lots of ppk in one week, yeah!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:55 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Hooooorah!!! It will be so fun! I can't wait to meet you! Also, I'm looking forward to checking out Munich... I gotta start reading about it, and maybe even try to learn a little German?? I will keep you posted on the details as the date gets closer. I guess I should find a good hotel or hostel too, so much to do! :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:56 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

You can take me to the best places to stock up on euro vegan treats!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:58 am 

I don't know if I'm around in late January. I'm not in England, I'll be free whenever though. You'll want to check out the area around Viktualienmarkt, including Basic, which is an organic supermarket. They're not all vegetarian, but they have a large selection of spreads and things, chocoreale spread, the odd vegan pastry in the bakery, etc. I still haven't dragged myself down to this place http://www.radixversand.de/ which appears to have No Muh cheese.

Anek wrote:
I don't remember mentioning an ice cream place... sadly because it would have been good!.

I just meant a restaurant that also had ice cream!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:56 am 

I never went to Radix because of their weird opening hours... I thought about going while on vacation but then I find everything I need at Basic. Every now and then they even have Cheezly mozzarella, and if you ask they will order Agar powder (unells it's in stock already, which might be).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:04 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

awesome! Thanks for the tips Chipmunk! Maybe I'll look for a hotel near Basic... since I don't know where else to go! :) It turns out I'll be there also on the 12th, just for one night, before I head out to Piesendorf... which is also a weeknight, but more time for potential fun!

Chipmunk, if you are around, join us in our hanging out fun times!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:58 pm 

Hmm, I might just end up mail-ordering some cheese. I never bought Cheezly when I lived in England.

I'll definitely update once I figure out what my plans for January are. Basic is pretty much in the city centre. The closest train station is Isartor, and the next-closest Marienplatz, which is two stops away from the central station (it's walkable, but you probably wouldn't want to with lots of luggage) and one stop away from Sendlinger Tor, which is close to where Max Pett is. If you're getting to Munich by train and then heading for the airport on the S8 or S1, any location near the central line will be convenient.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:17 am 

Actually there are several Basic supermarkets around town, it's a chain. You'll surely find one close by regardless of where you stay.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:22 am 
Nooch of Earl

Did Zerwirk close? I really liked that place! If it's still around, it's got great veganizations of traditional German foods, even sausage.

I've been to Prins Myshkin. I had a delicious beet soup, and I think my O-L and omni companions enjoyed it, but there didn't seem to be a ton that was vegan on their menu, and it was the kind of stuff (like stir fries) that just didn't feel worth going to a veggie restaurant to eat. It was good, though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:38 pm 

Zerwirk has been closed for a while now.

I keep forgetting the Viktualienmarkt one isn't the only shop, since that's the only one I ever go to. I won't be in England in January, but there's a slim chance I'll have moved. Probably not though, since it's very short notice.