| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Garden Centers You Use
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:56 am 
ol' garly cooch

Hey PPK Family:

I'm doing some research for work and would like to know a few things:

Where do you buy most of your gardening products? Is the business local or on line?

Is the business within 100 miles of PDX?

Why do you shop with them?

What is more important to you, lower prices or an environmentally sound product?

What kinds of products do you buy? Soil mixes? Ferts? Nutes? Tools? Seeds? etc?

What products would you like your favorite garden center to supply?

Super duper thanks in advance,

J

Post subject: Re: Garden Centers You Use
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:37 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I go to two or three different local gardening centers. Very occasionally I get something at a hardware store like Lowes. The local stores have a good selection of organic and heirloom vegetables, and the staff have been very helpful answering questions. Good products/environmentally-sound are more important than price, though the local stores aren't really expensive. Dirt/compost is $3/10 gallons if you shovel it yourself. In the past two years I've bought seedlings, seeds, hoses, watering cans, wheel barrows, neem, bt, chicken wire (for a compost container), vegan compost, nonvegan compost, and a wooden garden frame.

The one thing I had a really hard time finding was the watering can. I went to eight stores before I found one that was large enough, designed well, and had a sturdy, comfortable handle. Even then, we ended up modding the handle a bit with some rubber stuff. What I really wanted was a metal can with a wooden handle, but we ended up buying plastic since that's all we could find.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:26 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Where do you buy most of your gardening products? Is the business local or on line?
Local. A lot of the "bits and pieces" come from our local hardware store, or the factory outlet shop (although everything there falls apart, so this is limited obviously). We have two larger garden centres nearby, one that is fantastic and family run, but only has the higher price-range stuff. There is a chain hardware store/garden centre near us, where I've gotten a few things.

A lot of our nicer plant pots come from the abysmal market that casts a shadow on our town once a week (it's a load of tat, and the food is almost always rotting, but there are good plant pots).

Several thousand, on another continent.

Convenience, really. I do prefer the locally owned ones over the chain ones, but I go to the small hardware store because they're in town and so I walk past it all the time.

What is more important to you, lower prices or an environmentally sound product?
If there's not much of a difference in it (say, 20%), I will choose what I believe to be the environmentally friendly product.

Seeds as and when I see them, really. Tools we have for the time being. Grow bags (bags of compost), although our own compost should be ready for next year.

Interesting seeds (heirloom varieties!), nice pots that don't cost £10 each, a range of cheap tools (I know you get what you pay for, but for things like bamboo canes and gardening gloves, it's nice to not only have the mega expensive ones).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:13 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I forgot about gardening gloves. I had the hardest time finding non-leather gloves. The first pair I bought wore out in a year. I finally ended up ordering some online.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:18 am 
Nailed to the V

I had a bad experience last year with Lowe's so now I buy everything from local family owned businesses. One is an ACE hardware store and another is a family owned business. The ACE is cheaper, the family owned is more upscale with fancier plants and outdoor statuary. There's not a huge difference in price compared to Walmart, so I like to shop the smaller businesses. I live in a small town, so the shops are a mile or two from my house. I buy everything outdoorsy from them. Also, my local Habitat for Humanity sometimes has great really old garden statuary and whatnots cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:21 pm 
ol' garly cooch

mollyjade wrote:
I forgot about gardening gloves. I had the hardest time finding non-leather gloves. The first pair I bought wore out in a year. I finally ended up ordering some online.

Dude! We carry some awesome gloves. Call to order because the online shipping calculator will base the shipping on FE prices. We can put those in a padded envelope and ship 'em to you via USPS for $6. If you bought a second pair, we'd just ship them for free.

http://www.wormsway.com/detail.aspx?t=prod&sku=ANTG800

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:18 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Armstrong, or a nursery whose name I don't remember but is a few miles away. Both are local.

No

Unlike Home Depot or Lowes, they have a knowledgeable staff, and they have a decent selection.

environmentally sound

COMPOST, seeds, certain vegetable plants that are hard to get going from seed.

They have a pretty good seed selection that is spread out along a wall, but I'd also like to see a kiosk that is labeled as seeds you could be planting now. I would buy a lot more, and incorporate more variety if stuff was pointed out to me in a more obvious way. I keep all my gardening books in the trunk of my car so I can check their stock against what could be planted that day.