| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snow in October in the Northeast. Really???
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:40 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I can't believe it, there is a full on blizzard outside right now. We have at least an inch on the cars/roofs/grass, and it is starting to accumulate on the streets. Never in my life do I ever remember snow before Halloween. This is crazy!

Thank goodness we harvested the last of the tomatoes, peppers and basil last night. I am going to make creole stuffed peppers with them, and was just looking at the recipe in vcon to make sure I had all the ingredients. Thank goodness I did, because it reminded me my bay leaf tree was outside!!! I just brought it in. Had to shake off all the snow/ice. It would have been disastrous if I left it out overnight!

Thank you vcon!!!

Post subject: Re: Snow in October in the Northeast. Really???
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:03 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Congrats on your harvest.

Snows really accumulating here in PA. and yes, it's a little crazy.
My roommate wanted to take his son camping tonight.. So I guess that's not going to happen.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:26 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yeah I was going to go hiking today to see the changing of the leaves. Didn't want to go tromping around in the snow though!

We ended up with about 2-3 inches. This is unheard of in my area - we're not even north jersey, nevermind upstate new york or canada where this type of thing happens occasionally. I'm in southern central nj, near the water where there is usually a moderating effect on the weather! I think we've only ever gotten snow this early a few times in all recorded history of weather, certainly not in my lifetime that I can remember.

I just can't even get over it, seeing the trees still half green (they're not even at peak yet), plus green grass mixed with white snow. I checked out my garden today and the tomato plants are still surprisingly green. The squash are pretty mangled but everything else looks decent. Even all the marigolds are still covered in yellow flowers.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:44 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

jeepers! my mom got 8 inches (NWNJ), she says, but the wet snow is all over everything and the temps are supposed to be down in the teens tonight. lots of trees are down because of the weight (leaves hadn't fallen yet). mom lost her lilac bushes and a few trees in the yard. what a mess.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:51 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Aubade wrote:
We ended up with about 2-3 inches. This is unheard of in my area - we're not even north jersey, nevermind upstate new york or canada where this type of thing happens occasionally.

It only rained here!

I don't ever recall it snowing before halloween. Maybe once on halloween, but just sparse flurries.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:05 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

torque wrote:
jeepers! my mom got 8 inches (NWNJ),

We only had about 3 inches Saturday, but when I drove through the county park today (Wednesday) I saw downed branches - big ones, too - about every 10 - 15 feet. It was worse than after a regular winter blizzard. Just about every tree had some damage.

>(leaves hadn't fallen yet). mom lost her lilac bushes and a few trees in the yard. what a mess.[/quote]

Yeah, this is the weekend we were going to ride around somewhere where trees are, like a trip down the Parkway or something. We used to go mid-October, but the past few years the leaves hadn't changed by then, hence waiting until the last weekend of the month this year. It was so weird today looking at all those green and yellow trees with that ugly white stuff all over them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:16 am 
Seagull of the PPK

my mom's power is still out, they're saying maybe tomorrow she'll get it back. another state of emergency, poor Blairstown, they've gotten maybe 4 states of emergency this year!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:35 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Torque that is crazy! I actually came to this thread thinking of you, because I just read an article on nj.com about how 8000 residents still don't have power, 8 days after the storm. I hope you Mom has power!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:08 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

My mother's power finally came on at 11pm on Friday night. Unbelievable. She had phone service through most of it, though, and her neighbors all have generators so she was OK. The bummer is that out there there is no town water, only wells, so no power means no water unless you have a generator. However, this is the first time in 20 years there that she has had a power outage of more than 2 or 3 days.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:34 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Hail has happened twice today here in michigan, and now its snow/raining. Stranger things have happened though, such as the storms in the northeast.