| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 977 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: conceivin' thread
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:54 pm 
Semen Strong

So exciting that you're trying again!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:15 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

poopiebitch wrote:
Noelle wrote:
Okay, my body makes no sense. I have bizarro cervical mucous. It doesn't seem to go along with the "usual" pattern that Fertility Awareness resources describe. I like the idea of charting so much, but then I get frustrated when my charts don't look like examples in the book!

I've been having the exact same problem. It is SO frustrating, I finally just gave up on charting for a while because it was stressing me the fork out.

The temp part of charting works for me. The mucous part is hit or miss. Pre-ovulation, texturally, it's all the same. Around when I actually ovulate, there's just tons more, and after I ovulate, there's less than there was pre-ovulation.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:40 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Two positive opk tests two days in a row! I did get 2 positive opks earlier in my cycle, but apparently never ovulated. Hopefully this time it will come with actual ovulation and (fingers crossed) fertilization. Maybe day 54 of this cycle is my lucky day. Guess I'll be the one to be DD for the parties we have lined up for the next 2 weekends just in case.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:56 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

According to BBT, it seems I've ovulated, at least according to temps. Fertility friend thinks last Thursday (CD13), I'm not totally convinced, but definitely by Sunday (CD16) cause my temps have stayed way up since then (they started inching up after Thursday). I'm just relieved that I ovulated at all. Go go body! Get back to normal!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:19 pm 
Saggy Butt

No conception for me with my last cycle, though it was my first one off the pill so I'm not that shocked. I haven't totally figured out ovulation timing and the like just yet.

We're sort of skipping on trying this cycle -- we're going on vacation and I want to get my margarita on -- but I may use the ovulation testers anyway so I can try to get a sense of where my fertile period falls.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:50 pm 

You know it's bad when the doctor says "that's odd" at your appointment :( The doctor ran blood tests and found that I'm low in progesterone, but couldn't tell me if that means anything since it doesn't seem that I've ovulated yet this cycle, despite my last period being 63 days ago!

The doctor said the next step (whenever I want to take it) is to have the hubby's sperm count checked since it is an easy thing to do and they don't want to start prescribing me drugs or anything else until they know it will be worth the effort. He's not too excited about the prospect, but I reminded him that I'm only worried about time lines because I agreed to wait this long before trying, even though I wanted to start a few years ago.

I have mixed reactions to the doctor's reaction. On one hand, I'm glad she didn't dismiss my concerns (especially since I've only been actively trying for a few months) and is ready to discuss options about where to go from here if need be, but on the other hand, it makes my irrational fears of infertility more real that she wants to get the ball rolling. I guess I'm just too hard to please. Perhaps that's my gemini - indecisive nature.

ETA: The fact that Michelle Duggar announced she is pregnant with her 20th kid today does not help my mood either. 20 forking kids? Can they please spread the fertility wealth around.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:19 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

chiveggie wrote:
You know it's bad when the doctor says "that's odd" at your appointment :( The doctor ran blood tests and found that I'm low in progesterone, but couldn't tell me if that means anything since it doesn't seem that I've ovulated yet this cycle, despite my last period being 63 days ago!

The doctor said the next step (whenever I want to take it) is to have the hubby's sperm count checked since it is an easy thing to do and they don't want to start prescribing me drugs or anything else until they know it will be worth the effort. He's not too excited about the prospect, but I reminded him that I'm only worried about time lines because I agreed to wait this long before trying, even though I wanted to start a few years ago.

I have mixed reactions to the doctor's reaction. On one hand, I'm glad she didn't dismiss my concerns (especially since I've only been actively trying for a few months) and is ready to discuss options about where to go from here if need be, but on the other hand, it makes my irrational fears of infertility more real that she wants to get the ball rolling. I guess I'm just too hard to please. Perhaps that's my gemini - indecisive nature.

ETA: The fact that Michelle Duggar announced she is pregnant with her 20th kid today does not help my mood either. 20 forking kids? Can they please spread the fertility wealth around.

I'm sorry chi :\ I hope it's something they can correct quickly. I've heard that, I think, B6 can help with progesterone? I think there are vitamins and things that can help. There's progesterone supplements too... but I felt like there was a non drug something. I've read a ton of things lately though and I don't know what came from where anymore. Your husband should just do the sperm count thing! Especially before they start checking out things in a more invasive fashion. Sure it's embarrassing, but remind him of all the things involved in you having a baby! It's only fair.

The Duggar thing annoyed the hell out of me too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:19 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

chiveggie wrote:
The fact that Michelle Duggar announced she is pregnant with her 20th kid today does not help my mood either. 20 forking kids? Can they please spread the fertility wealth around.

This made me so sad.

I actually really like the Duggars—I don't agree with them on many points, but they seem like lovely people—but I just thought, "Really? She gets to have 20 and I don't even get to have two?" That hurts. That feels a little like God or the Universe or someone is pro-her and anti-me.

I didn't even try to conceive this cycle. I just didn't want to ride the maybe-I'm-pregnant rollercoaster for a few weeks. It's emotionally exhausting.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:55 am 
And you never will.

Noelle wrote:
chiveggie wrote:
The fact that Michelle Duggar announced she is pregnant with her 20th kid today does not help my mood either. 20 forking kids? Can they please spread the fertility wealth around.

This made me so sad.

I actually really like the Duggars—I don't agree with them on many points, but they seem like lovely people—but I just thought, "Really? She gets to have 20 and I don't even get to have two?" That hurts. That feels a little like God or the Universe or someone is pro-her and anti-me.

This pretty much sums up how I felt about it, too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:26 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

20 babies? That is all going to go very badly one time soon. She must have a significant risk of uterine rupture.

I am working on cutting down the caffeine. I have switched my stovetop mocha pot to half decaf, half normal coffee, so this morning I had a half-strength coffee. I had a headache by lunchtime, but some paracetamol mainly cleared it up and I feel fine now. I weaned myself off caffeine last year, too, and as much as I love coffee, it is a nice feeling to not feel that I need it.

I think I'm going to miss the odd glass of wine a lot more than the coffee, because I love wine but won't be having any, yet I'm sure the odd cup of decaf will definitely be in the picture. (I don't drink enough wine to be withdrawing from THAT, don't worry.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:36 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

chiveggie, has the doctor offered any suggestions as to why you're having such long cycles? While it's certainly good to have the boy's bits checked too, you should figure out what's going on on your side. Even the most super-powered sperm can't give you a baby if they never encounter an egg. This was our situation, in fact. K's results on two different tests were spectacular, it's just that my body wasn't giving him anything to work with. Plus, to me, it just seems like good sense to sort out menstrual problems if you can, regardless of fertility issues.

I hadn't heard the Duggars news', but I admit to feeling the "not fair" vibe so many times when watching just crepe moms on the bus, etc. while ttc. Just the other day while waiting at the hospital, this woman came in, pregnant with her third child and spent the 15 or so minutes we shared the waiting room, telling her girls to shut up, "don't start that crying shiitake", teasing them by offering drinks and then saying it wasn't for them, etc.....just super super mean, hateful behavior. While I've been lucky enough to make the bean, I thought about all the women I know trying hard to conceive and here this obnoxious bisque was working on number three. Sigh.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:37 am 
Nooch of Earl

Maybe y'all just don't eat enough tater tot casserole.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:22 am 
Bathes in Braggs

annak wrote:

Seriously, I don't see how no one in that family has heart disease.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:00 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

flavabean wrote:
annak wrote:

Seriously, I don't see how no one in that family has heart disease.

the keyword here is "yet."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:28 pm 

thanks guys. I'll research the B vitamin thing. The doctor suggested clomid which is apparently the standard drug given to help make the body ovulate. She said it's not uncommon for women to need it after coming off birth control to regulate their cycles. Since I don't have any pain anywhere she didn't suspect anything seriously wrong - of course now I have phantom symptoms of every fertility problem I goggled after the appointment - I should've known better.

And Noelle, you summed up my feeling of the Duggars pretty well too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:22 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

OMG, tater tot casserole. I am dying! I loled so hard, my husband asked what was going on.

Also, refinnej, I totally feel the same way when I see angry moms with lots of kids. Or the moms that totally ignore their kids, except for loudly scolding them every once in a while.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:43 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

How is that a real recipe? Bloody hell. I could not advocate for that 'food', either as a vegan, a health professional, somebody who cooks food OR somebody who eats food.

Refinnej, I'm the same. We have one of those people probably coming to Christmas day this year at our house (our antisocial cousin accidentally got his new girlfriend pregnant and now they have a new baby, her second), and both my sister-in-law and myself are really wanting planned babies but it is going to take time, and I have already had The Chat to my parents (more for my sister-in-law than me) that excessive cooing and fawning over the baby may get other people upset, so just to be aware that things aren't all smooth sailing and to please be a little sensitive (i.e. not too many of the "When is it YOUR turn?" comments, please). We are happy that they are joyful about the new baby, but the thought of this girl parading around with this new bundle of joy and people fawning over them (no matter how cute the baby is) may just make some of us sad on the inside. Still, I must be subconsciously happy as I'm bringing along a gift for the bub - I'm not a complete grinch, just protective. Conflicted, much?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:40 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

chiveggie wrote:
thanks guys. I'll research the B vitamin thing. The doctor suggested clomid which is apparently the standard drug given to help make the body ovulate. She said it's not uncommon for women to need it after coming off birth control to regulate their cycles. Since I don't have any pain anywhere she didn't suspect anything seriously wrong - of course now I have phantom symptoms of every fertility problem I goggled after the appointment - I should've known better.

And Noelle, you summed up my feeling of the Duggars pretty well too.

Really? Clomid? How long have you been off the pill? My midwife said that if I didn't get a period in 3 months after coming off the pill, then they would put me on a round of progesterone to jump-start a period.

I'm something around a week past ovulation now, and waking up 3X every night to pee... this is seeming eerily familiar, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Due for a period again next Friday.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:28 am 
Semen Strong

Good luck Rabidchild!

Chiveggie, as RC says, I also surprised they'd put you on clomid before determining an underlying cause of your long anovulatory period, but am not an MD. I had one round of clomid earlier this year, before we conceived our daughter, and I understood that because of some of the risks associated they tried to limit the number of clomid cycles patients undergo. My MD wouldn't do more than 3, and so to maximize efficiency she'd do them with an Hcg shot and IUI.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:36 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Has anyone here had a copper (non-hormonal) IUD removed and then experienced a change in cycle length? I was like clockwork the whole time I had the IUD. I had it removed mid-cycle last month, and now my period is nowhere to be seen, several days after I'm due. (And failed a preg test.) I can't find any information about this on the internets. Help?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:40 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

chiveggie: Ditto to those wondering about the Clomid idea. Determining a cause for the long cycles is important because Clomid is much less effective in some scenarios like low ovarian reserve. Also, if you have any tubal damage, you have to be extra careful to watch out for ectopic pregnancies when using fertility meds. It's also (possibly) a factor in an increase in ovarian cysts.

I know maybe a half dozen women who loved Clomid and conceived within a few months, but I must admit that I hated it. I only did 2 doses and had horrible headaches. There was no indication that it worked either month, so the midwife suggested that a third round wasn't likely to succeed, though I could've gone ahead if we'd really wanted.

Also, both the anecdotal evidence I've seen, and the fertility doc we spoke with at the beginning of our journey seem to say that it can be up to a year before your cycles are "normal" after coming off hormonal birth control. That's not to say that you can't do any investigations before then, but that they might not turn anything up. Would your doc be up for an ovarian ultrasound? This was one of the most useful tests for hubby and me. We were able to see that there were plenty of eggs there, just not ripened, and helped to confirm the doc's initial diagnosis of PCOS.

I hope things progress well for you. As I wait the bean's arrival, I've been thinking an awful lot about the journey we took to get here.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:59 pm 

Thanks everyone again. I met with the midwife last week, and have to make an appointment with the MD to get more information. My first period after birth control took 35 days to show up, then 50 days, 45 days, and now this marathon of what the fizzle? I'll make sure to ask the doctor about different possibilities. I'm certainly not one to take drugs unless I know they will work.

Good luck RC!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:39 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

chiveggie wrote:
Thanks everyone again. I met with the midwife last week, and have to make an appointment with the MD to get more information. My first period after birth control took 35 days to show up, then 50 days, 45 days, and now this marathon of what the fizzle? I'll make sure to ask the doctor about different possibilities. I'm certainly not one to take drugs unless I know they will work.

Good luck RC!

Thanks. I feel totally normal again :P I'm in the 'try again next month' mentality now.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:31 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Congratulations to annasrobbie, Audrey and pointy kitty! (Sorry if I got any of those wrong.) And I'm sending fertile vibes out to all the others TTC.

I can't believe I am participating in this thread... I feel like Mr. AlwaysHungry and I have been delaying TTC and waiting for "the right time" for so long, it's like it's not even real. We've been together 9 years, married almost 5 years, and we've been living our lives per deadlines and milestones for all this time (ie: wait for me to graduate, get him into a full-time permanent job, sell tiny apartment, look for a house, buy a house, move in, get settled, get me through my ICU nursing course, get settled in new job, yadda yadda). And for the longest time I felt like it wasn't safe to talk about it with him because there was "no point in thinking about it until (insert life-stage goal here)." Then out of nowhere he asks me "so when do you want to start trying to make a baby?" and I said "now" and he said "okay."

And I can't help it... I'm so so so excited. I feel like I've been a mom without a baby for years, and I'm ready to start this chaotic adventure.

I've been off the pill since 2006 and we've used just condoms since then until a few weeks ago. My cycles are usually 30 to 32 days, occasionally as long as 39 days. My period was 5 days late on Wednesday (still hasn't started) and I was somewhat symptomatic (nauseated, bloated, a little scattrerbrained) for a week, but the HPT was negative. I didn't really expect it to be positive, but I admit I hoped it was. I cried when it wasn't.

I already feel like getting pregnant is all I can think about. I told Mr.AH that I didn't want to actively "try," rather I wanted to just do without condoms, enjoy our sex life, and let Mother Nature do the rest. But it's like I can't help myself... I bought a copy of TCOYF today and I plan on pouncing him the moment he gets home from work tonight, if nothing else than for baby gravy.

*sigh* Please tell me I'll get over this.

ETA: thanks for listening.

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:12 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I'm going to join you guys, even though right now i still have my paraguard. We have been talking and planning to try again, and now that we have moved and are flat broke again, its looking like a better and better idea. Especially since my husband's salary if finally going to put us out of wic range- but we want another, and i'm not getting any younger (38 next week).

I am really nervous though. I have incredibly irregular cycles (both long, but especially short cycles), many symptoms of pcos, although i have never had a doctor take me seriously about it, and many years ago, when we first tried to get pregnant, we figured out i wasn't ovulating very often.

Currently i am looking around for a good midwife, preferably someone who can point me toward more natural ways of working on this, and trying to do what i can to re-regulate my body, up until now a session on the pill has been all the advice i have been given for my irregular periods. Right now i have been having 3 week cycles, and i think i ovulated only one of the last 6 cycles. the irony is that for the first year i had my period (between my son's first and second birthday) i had textbook cycles, and i was completely unready to get pregnant.

So far, i have started having daily green smoothies and upped my flax consumption. Do you guys have any other advice? I was thinking about having my thyroid checked, and of course bring up the PCOS possiblity- i figure since i finally fall in the chubby range, maybe they will take me a bit more seriously.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 977 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 40  Next