| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Faroe Islands
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:13 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Ok, I realize that this thread won't have a lot of action going on, but I still want it to be here, if someone searches it because they want to go here!

So, The Faroe Islands is a very small country, consisting of 18 islands with a total of about 50,000 inhabitants. Back in the days, they lived of birds, fish and sheep. The only thing they grow here is potatoes and rhubarb. Of course they do now have a lot of "international" food in the super markets, but still, that diet hasn't really been replaced more than partially. A lot of people still have "meat/fish and potatoes" as their most common meal, naturally. But this makes it a lonely place for a veg*an. Most people havn't even heard of vegans, but I guess there should be a few vegetarians lurking somewhere.

Supermarkets: There are a lot of different supermarkets here, and they all carry different things, even within the same chain. Non-dairy butter is everywhere. Soy/oat/rice-milk is not hard to find either. You can get tofu at a few places, but it's very expensive. Yoghurt and icecream is rare but possible to find too.

Eating out: I don't do this a lot (never) but I have a feeling that most places don't have veg*an items on their menus. There's a sushi place that do though.

If you want to know something more specific, just ask away!

Post subject: Re: Faroe Islands
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:51 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I am in London, how does one visit? The pictures on the world wide web are so breath taking!

Looks like I can get there in the Summer from Stanstead!

Ohh...what Islands would you suggest to stay on? Party on? Relax on?

Post subject: Re: Faroe Islands
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:21 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Shovel wrote:
I am in London, how does one visit? The pictures on the world wide web are so breath taking!

Looks like I can get there in the Summer from Stanstead!

Ohh...what Islands would you suggest to stay on? Party on? Relax on?

You can get by boat from Denmark all year around, it goes Denmark- Faroe Islands-Iceland and back once a week. By plane you can go from Denmark or Iceland every day. But yes, there are plane connections to London sometimes, during holidays and summer for example (since there's a lot of people from here living there to study).

Well, the islands are very close, except for one of the bigger ones that are 2 hours away with boat. You can easily travel between most of the bigger ones within a day. Most people will have T├│rshavn (capital) as their base, which is OK but I would suggest staying somewhere more north east as well, it will make things a lot easier if you want travel around.

And really, you don't come here to party :). I would say that the only attraction here is the nature.