| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: NaNoWriMo
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:46 pm 
Wal-Mart's White Knight

Writing Buddies are a go. I added the nine names I could find in this thread.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:43 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

sameness wrote:
Writing Buddies are a go. I added the nine names I could find in this thread.

Me too. Cool titles, everyone. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:31 pm 
Wal-Mart's White Knight

Maybe I should change mine to "The 503 Gateway Errors of Ruby O'Rails".

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:06 am 
Chard Martyr

Weee! How does it work with buddies? I've never had buddies before (but I love it). What info are they privy to?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:47 pm 
WELFARIST!

I signed up as senselessgibberish. Excited!!!! I don't know anything about the site so I might ask dumb questions. I thought I would upload stuff every day as I was gonna create a separate file for each day's work and then paste it all together so I have it in smaller chunks so it's more manageable for editing after November (and easier for me to find specific things) and then one big running file of the whole thing in total.

I read in the intro that you scramble your text before sending it to them (I guess in the end at one haul) so they can verify your word count...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:20 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i am making lemonade out of a big, piss-colored lemon. had a client go batshit on me today and lost the huge job that was impeding my participation in Nano. So, I guess I ^will^be doing Nano now. Assuming I can uncurl myself from the fetal position first. Either life is grand or else The God of NanoWrimo is a jealous god who doesn't like interference with The Plan. Tread carefully, peeps. I haven't been to the site again since like September but will go and add people maybe tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:21 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I'm slowly coming up with an outline, and I'm going to do the best I can! This is kind of a crazy month - I'm going for my financial advisors license, and just with having a 1 1/2 year old running around, I'm a bit nervous, but we'll see! I'm jensoda if anyone wants to friend me over there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:29 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

So I was really excited about my story. I started typing out the outline and then suddenly... I just stopped soon after. This was a couple weeks ago. I haven't been able to motivate myself to continue. I hit a couple major bumps in the parts of the outline I did and I just don't know what to do--stuff has to be rethought. I don't know if I can do NaNoWriMo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:53 pm 
WELFARIST!

You can do it bastah! My outline consists of ten words, five of which are "The(s)". Actually, I wanted to stop thinking about my story/novel (and haven't thought about it for a couple of weeks, until today when I reviewed my all-of-ten- words "outline") because I didn't want my preliminary ideas boxing me in too much by being too definite such that I would start closing off other ideas that come my way as I go along. Because ideas will come along as you start writing and hopefully will keep coming as things develop...

I say just start working on it and see what happens! Stay excited! <3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:55 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Not even an hour in, and I've already accidentally made one of my minor characters a major supernatural creature plot-point.

There weren't meant to be supernatural creatures in this.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:26 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I just hit 1667 and am making a big deal out of it. I technically don't have time to do this at all this month, but I can't not try, I love this. Hopefully I can hit a bigger number over the next three hours (during which I also have singing lessons) because that's all the time I have today, I have even less tomorrow and none for the rest of the week. Oh man. :(

Oh and I'm notcdj if anyone's interested.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:20 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Dr. Horrible wrote:
I just hit 1667 and am making a big deal out of it. I technically don't have time to do this at all this month, but I can't not try, I love this. Hopefully I can hit a bigger number over the next three hours (during which I also have singing lessons) because that's all the time I have today, I have even less tomorrow and none for the rest of the week. Oh man. :(

Oh and I'm notcdj if anyone's interested.

You're back! I missed you!
Congrats on the word count, and I'm adding you to my buddies this minute.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:56 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i got the prologue done, which was written specifically to have nothing to do with the text. if i keep this up, i will have an absolutely plot-free work.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:08 am 

I'm 2,243 words in! Haha and I haven't hit my plot yet either. I'm still letting people naturally meet the characters and create the exposition. I just hope that I am doing it naturally and that it doesn't seem like I'm going "Hey! Look, I'm telling you all this important stuff right away even though it doesn't fit in or flow naturally."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:33 am 
One Trick Dick

I'm working all day and won't get started until this evening, most likely. This month will be a killer: 40 hours @ work + two freelance book design gigs + NaNoWriMo. It's like I need to fill the void I acquired when I finished grad school. Why can't I just, you know, enjoy the down time?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:54 am 
WELFARIST!

torque wrote:
i got the prologue done, which was written specifically to have nothing to do with the text. if i keep this up, i will have an absolutely plot-free work.

Ha! This happened to me, too. I started writing the prologue, thinking I could wrap it up today, but I can see that I'll be working on it tomorrow too. And it's expanding in scope. I'm starting to think I need to cut it back so I can get to the story itself. But I'll try and finish the prologue tomorrow. 3500 words today. It was pretty hard going and a lot of mental work, actually. Harder than I thought. And I kept re-reading, re-writing and editing on the fly. I think I need to cut that out, it sucked up too much time and isn't too useful right now. But yay! Tomorrow will be harder to get my words in as I have to work downtown and write after work (I usually like to write before I start work when my mind is fresher). But anyway, onward! Tomorrow I'm gonna be verbal diarrheaing all over the page just to get it done, methinks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:20 pm 
Chard Martyr

seitanicverses wrote:
And I kept re-reading, re-writing and editing on the fly. I think I need to cut that out, it sucked up too much time and isn't too useful right now.

You and me both!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:32 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I'm starting writing tonight. I have to pick a story, I have two I've been kicking around and I don't know which one would be better. Fantasy or sci-fi/horror? The choices!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:34 pm 
Chard Martyr

I wrote the shiitake out of this morning. I'm a good starter and a crepe finisher. We'll see.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:22 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

holy crepes, batman. I did just sit and write and things immediately got very, very bizarre. i think we have gone from angsty, bumbly midlife crisis fiction to some sort of fantasy novel where my mother in law is holding a goddess hostage in her house. i can only wonder what my therapist would say about this plot.............

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:25 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Go NaNoWriMoErs! I'm not doing it, but I'm totally cheering all of you on! You can do it! And you are awesome for trying!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:28 am 

I'm really impressed with myself. I'm at 4,052 words right now and I've hardly told my story, so I might actually be capable of doing this novel thing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:24 am 
WELFARIST!

I finished the prologue and have page 1 of the first section written. Just like to leave off in the middle of something so I have something to start with the next day. I finished 1709 words yesterday, though I was so tired, I couldn't add 1440 and 269 in my head to get the word count by the end of it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:30 am 
Seagull of the PPK

First few days were productive, but I also had a few days with little work. Now that I am getting hammered with work again (and also have an INEXPLICABLE, desperate urge to read Moby Dick right now, what the fork is the matter with me????) I am not sure I will continue the trend, but i sure can try!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

torque wrote:
holy crepes, batman. I did just sit and write and things immediately got very, very bizarre. i think we have gone from angsty, bumbly midlife crisis fiction to some sort of fantasy novel where my mother in law is holding a goddess hostage in her house. i can only wonder what my therapist would say about this plot.............

I would love to read this!
Don't fall asleep reading Moby Dick! Just sayin'.

I'm still a bit behind my quota for today. If I don't come up with anything to further the plot, I'll include my list of nervous gestures (that I made for the protagonist). Or I might just make a huuuuge pot of coffee and stay up until the creativity juices decide to flow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next