| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 539 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:15 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Has anyone ever mailed homemade cookies in a care package? How long do they last? Risky? I was considering the ginger snaps, specifically.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:47 am 
Bathes in Braggs

i made the ginger snaps today, co-incidentally. i haven't mailed them anywhere though. they are quite robust and crunchy, i'll let you know what they're like after a couple of days of storage...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:48 am 
Bathes in Braggs

ps, they're delicious, i can't stop eating them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:57 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I made the gingersnaps. I had to add a little extra flour (about 1/4 cup). They made exactly 2 dozen and they look lovely.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:42 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

dragonssister wrote:
Has anyone ever mailed homemade cookies in a care package? How long do they last? Risky? I was considering the ginger snaps, specifically.

I have a friend who sends cookie care packages to her family every holiday season. It seems like as long as they're sent priority the cookies are okay. I know priority shipping tends to be a little longer internationally, so that might by a stumbling block for you if you want to mail them outside of Japan.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:08 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Well the trouble really is that I'm sending them MPS (Military Postal System) to a ship at sea. There's a lot of ways this could go wrong. I just figured I can't keep it a secret. I asked him if cookies would make it okay, and he told me most arrive in crumbs. I don't think that will be a problem with these. I already looked into how to properly pack cookies for mailing so that they stay fresh. I'm just going to be like "sorry if you get a box of stale cookies."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:43 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'm making cookies for 40 elderly people who are in a care facility. I know I'm going to make the Oatmeal Raisin (subbing dried cranberries for the raisins), but I'm not sure what else to make. I'm trying to avoid anything with nuts. ideas?

Oh and where are the corrections for this book? I should have made note of them when the old forum was up, but kind of took for granted that they'd always be there.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:39 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

molly wrote:
creep wrote:
I haven't used this book in a while, but I made the peanut butter blondies (an old stand-by) last night with Bob's Red Mill GF flour and added a big handful of chocolate chips. omgggzzz peanut butter chocolatey heaven.

Thank you for this idea!! I made them with regular flour but the choc chips were a genius addition.

PB blondies were the first recipe I made from this book, I believe, and I felt that if the blondies could speak, they would beg for some chocolate. I added the chocolate chips when the blondies were still hot, so I was able to spread the melted chocolate in a swirly pattern.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:34 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I made the cowboy cookies yesterday and might not bake another cookie again, these are perfect! I used almonds instead of pecans and added some white chocolate chips as well as dark chocolate chunks. Woa.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:19 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

The gingersnaps made it through the mail to the ship in 6 days. He said they were really good. Now I am definitely going to be sending more cookies. I'm going to send a Halloween care package to them this week and see how it goes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:27 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I made the graham crackers. Very easy and tasty.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:54 pm 
Saggy Butt

Dingofoof wrote:
I'm making cookies for 40 elderly people who are in a care facility. I know I'm going to make the Oatmeal Raisin (subbing dried cranberries for the raisins), but I'm not sure what else to make. I'm trying to avoid anything with nuts. ideas?

I would suggest the blackstrap molasses ones. I don't know about other places but molasses was used a lot more here in the past than white sugar (cheaper, easier to get) and so molasses is a nostalgic taste.

Another consideration is that as people age their sense of taste often lessens so a strong flavour may be better.

[Full disclosure - I adore peanut butter and molasses sandwiches]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:13 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I just made the cowboy cookies and added dried cranberries. MAGIC!

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:50 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I made the banana-everything cookies and brought them to choir practice. A couple people were like "bananas? and oats? in a cookie?" and made the weird-out face, but then there was a magic moment where one dude took one and then announced OH MY GOD THESE ARE SOOOOO GOOOOD while stuffing a second one in his face and then poof, they all disappeared after that. My mom couldn't stop eating them, either. I think I only got to eat ONE out of the whole batch!

I made the orange agave chocolate chippers the other day and nearly made myself sick before I finally had to force myself to put them away and go in another room! I gave a couple away yesterday and the recipient seemed quite pleased.

I'm eager to try the Mexican snickerdoodles...I've had those made for me before and loved them. I don't have any cayenne though...I wonder how they would taste with chipotle XD

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:25 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

choirqueer wrote:

I'm eager to try the Mexican snickerdoodles...I've had those made for me before and loved them. I don't have any cayenne though...I wonder how they would taste with chipotle XD

I think you should go for it! I used chili powder in mine because I wanted them to have more of a kick, I thought they were excellent.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:33 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

choirqueer wrote:

Do it. The one time I made them I used hot paprika and they were still amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:32 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I finally made the City Girl Snickerdoodles. I've been avoiding any of the recipes which call for margarine as I cannot find a margarine I can have with my food allergy.

So, I made them the first time with shortening + 6 tablespoons of water. They spread all over the baking sheets.

Because I STILL wanted snickerdoodles, I tried again. Subbed the margarine with shortening + 6 tablespoons of water and I added a 1/4 cup extra of flour. They turned out PERFECT!

The recipe says to sprinkle the top of each cookie with a little additional Cinnamon Sugar. Do. It. It makes the most adorable little brown spot in the middle of the cookies.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:31 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

my boyfriend got me this cookbook and we made the espresso chocolate chip cookies. the dough scared me because it was really loose, but we just dropped the cookies onto the sheet anyway, and they came out great! a little fragile, but so tasty! :) definitely trying pb pillows later this week for an event that needs some vegan love!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:24 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

This is the second time I've made the Pumpkin Pie Brownies and I can't get them done. Has anyone had this problem? I cooked it for 30 minutes and the outer edge looks done but the center is still completely liquid. I'm using cornstarch, could that be why?

Nature is the art of God. ~ Dante

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:22 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I've never made the Pumpkin Pie Brownies, but I think I'm going to try them for Thanksgiving. I'm thinking about baking it in a tart pan so it's a little fancier, but I'm not sure how much batter there will be or if it will overflow the pan? Has anyone made them in a tart pan? Should I just stick to a regular pie pan to be safe?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:57 am 
Tofu Pup

i want to make the blueberry spice crumb bars, but i don't have spelt flour. can i use regular flour?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:15 am 
Bathes in Braggs

i'm an aussie, so i have no idea what a regular "samoa" cookie should taste like, but omgz the lazy samoas are freaking delicious. i think i may make them many many more times in the near future XD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:46 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I made the Pumpkin Pie Brownies to take to my Grandma's on Thanksgiving and they were a huge hit! Everyone raved about them, especially how delicious the brownie part was. And I may or may not have eaten some for breakfast the next morning...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:22 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I've got the gingerbread biscotti in the oven right now! I used my Penzey's spices and I think they're going to turn out amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:28 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I brought the peanut butter blondies for a work lunch (with the sub of chocolate chips for peanuts - thank you PPK!), and they were a huge hit. I can't stop eating them....

Reply to topic  [ 539 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 22  Next