| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 715 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Couch to 5K
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:37 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I remembered that several years ago, I made a goal of running a 5k before my 40th birthday. The other day, I realized my 40th birthday is in May!

I'll have to build up to be ready even for week one. But, I think it may be do-able.
Pros? Cons? Anyone?

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Couch to 5K
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:44 pm 
Cranky

I edited your "2" to "to." And it worked!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:47 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

We can edit our own titles now too. But, I'm thinking the program actually does use a 2. I'll check

Nope. Must have been some board or blog that I looked at that had the 2. Thanks :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:52 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I've seen it written as C25K and that's what I used to talk about it but then on another forum someone thought I was running a 25k, haha - NO!

I enjoyed the first 6-7 weeks of C25K but then I stopped so I could do P90X. I highly recommend it, I am hopeless at running but I made it to the 25 minute run and did it!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Kitteh wrote:
someone thought I was running a 25k, haha - NO!

Aww...c'mon. Don't be a wimp.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:17 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

deearess wrote:
Kitteh wrote:
someone thought I was running a 25k, haha - NO!

Aww...c'mon. Don't be a wimp.

Haha, I never even made it to 5k, my 25 min got me to 4k, I think.

Oh and I did mine on our treadmill, which is a lot easier. I jogged the other day and 10 mins felt like an effort so I'm going to try and keep it up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:50 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I did Couch to 5K earlier this year and loved it. I am asthmatic and never thought I could be a runner, but I can! I'm doing Bridge to 10K now. I will be on Week 3, Day 2 whenever I get over being sick (it's a 6 week program).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just came in here to start this thread!

I'm planning on starting this next week (probably Monday, unless I find something better to do). I'm sure I'll struggle with the first week and make a scene at the gym and generally embarrass myself, but hopefully I can get over it and conquer my life-long inability to run. If anyone wants to join me, I will post my support/complaints in this thread, until you're all sick of me shrieking 'GUYS, why didn't you tell me this was going to be HARD and SWEATY?'

I even plan to buy a sports bra this weekend to motivate me!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:08 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Erinnerung wrote:
I even plan to buy a sports bra this weekend to motivate me!

Ha, I bought a new sports bra on my first day too, it's so much better than the crop tops I was wearing. I got a Triumph one.

And you will be impressed with yourself after the first week, I was and I always said I could never be a runner.

If you have an Android/iPhone there's an app that will beep when you switch between walking/jogging and that really helped me as looking at the time only made me think about how much longer I had to run for.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:31 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I think Couch to 5k is really awesome. It is a challenge but completely doable. Just make sure to have goals set after the program or, like me, you might just stop and have to start all over again. I blame the stifling summer heat for quitting, but if I had more to look forward to like 5k's, fun runs, or another program I would have been more likely to keep it up.

baszilla.tumblr.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:33 pm 
Nailed to the V

Kitteh wrote:
I highly recommend it, I am hopeless at running but I made it to the 25 minute run and did it!

meeee tooo!
I did the full programme earlier this year and then carried on running 5-6km 2x week for the next couple of months, but have stopped running since I started p90x.
I'm definitely thinking of getting back into going out a few times a week on lighter cardio p90x days, especially as we've now finally got some daylight hours back.
oh yeah, and when I was following the programme properly, I only did 2x a week rather than 3x because I could only go on weekends, and it was fine.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Kitteh wrote:
If you have an Android/iPhone there's an app that will beep when you switch between walking/jogging and that really helped me as looking at the time only made me think about how much longer I had to run for.

I have an iPod touch, that should work. But that's awesome, I'm the same with looking at the time. I heard that there were podcasts that tell you what to do, but I need music to motivate me/get me all angry and feeling like I can destroy things.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:44 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

baszilla wrote:
It is a challenge but completely doable. Just make sure to have goals set after the program or, like me, you might just stop and have to start all over again.

Yes, I was surprised at how it was doable, I kept dreading the first 20 and 25 min runs, never thought I could do it and then bam, did it!

And you're right, I stopped to start P90X and now running is an effort again, I'll have to work my way back up again.

oncewerewesties wrote:
Kitteh wrote:
I highly recommend it, I am hopeless at running but I made it to the 25 minute run and did it!

meeee tooo!
I did the full programme earlier this year and then carried on running 5-6km 2x week for the next couple of months, but have stopped running since I started p90x.
I'm definitely thinking of getting back into going out a few times a week on lighter cardio p90x days, especially as we've now finally got some daylight hours back.
oh yeah, and when I was following the programme properly, I only did 2x a week rather than 3x because I could only go on weekends, and it was fine.

Same, I want to add more cardio to P90X as I don't find it's enough for me, on the weight days I don't feel as great as I do on the Plyo/Kenpo days.

Erinnerung wrote:
Kitteh wrote:

I have an iPod touch, that should work. But that's awesome, I'm the same with looking at the time. I heard that there were podcasts that tell you what to do, but I need music to motivate me/get me all angry and feeling like I can destroy things.

Ooh yes, I have to listen to superfast drum n bass when I run and that makes it a lot more fun and the time goes by faster.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:01 pm 
Nailed to the V

Kitteh wrote:
Same, I want to add more cardio to P90X as I don't find it's enough for me, on the weight days I don't feel as great as I do on the Plyo/Kenpo days.

oh, I love the weights days [but I was a weights junkie at the gym before we stopped going to do this] but after week one where I felt like death all week, I haven't been feeling sore/tired/burnt out with p90x so I feel like I've got a bit more energy left to burn.
I freakin' love plyometrics though.

I kinda wish I could run with music but headphones fall out of my ears [I'm special] and my ipod is old and chunky and I think it'd be too heavy/uncomfortable in my pocket so I just talk to sheep to keep me entertained instead.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

oncewerewesties wrote:
Kitteh wrote:

oh, I love the weights days [but I was a weights junkie at the gym before we stopped going to do this] but after week one where I felt like death all week, I haven't been feeling sore/tired/burnt out with p90x so I feel like I've got a bit more energy left to burn.
I freakin' love plyometrics though.

I kinda wish I could run with music but headphones fall out of my ears [I'm special] and my ipod is old and chunky and I think it'd be too heavy/uncomfortable in my pocket so I just talk to sheep to keep me entertained instead.

I do enjoy the weights but I don't feel like I've worked as hard, I'm not lifting much at the moment, I need to buy some new weights.

And my earphones did fall out a bit too so instead I was listening to music via our pc/stereo set up and then I didn't have to carry my Zen on the treadmill.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:34 pm 
Nailed to the V

yeah, it can be hard to pick what weights to go for to get the best workout.
We've got two sets of spinlock dumbbells, mine goes up to 10kg [22lb], his go up to 30kg [66lb].

I can't stand treadmill running, luckily we live in a semi-rural area so I can run on the roads and not have too much traffic etc going by.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:13 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My ear buds fall out too. I either need some really little ones or I'll have to find my early 90s style headphones that go outside of the ears.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:22 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Couch to 5k is great! I completed it, and even did a 5 mile 'race' (I wasn't racing, just in it to get around!) in under an hour.

I've sadly lost my running mojo in the last couple of months, I need to get back on the wagon.

Edited to say - take it really slowly at first if you need to. I found that 'slow jogging' rather than 'running' worked best for me for the running intervals. it's more important at the start to build up your time running than to run fast.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:07 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

deearess wrote:
My ear buds fall out too. I either need some really little ones or I'll have to find my early 90s style headphones that go outside of the ears.

I have giant, bright blue headphones that cover my entire ears. I originally bought them to use as musical earmuffs during winter, but it turns out that they're awesome for the gym. I probably look ridiculous, but they never fall off. I guess I figured I'm going to look ridiculous while running anyway, so I might as well try to make it look intentional.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:08 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I started but I keep slacking and it is because where I run, though 20 feet away is nice, there are teen boys who watch if I am out there after 8am (and I feel silly with the stopping and starting) and it is so cold! I need to get gloves and suck it up.

I'm going to M&S for gloves today...no more excuses. I have been talking about actually doing this for years.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:49 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I got these to solve the earbuds falling out of my ears problem: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00139 ... ss_product

Now the only problem is that I can't also wear my glasses while running (luckily my vision isn't so horrible).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:25 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

I keep threatening to do this and have yet to actually try it. November I will begin! If anyone else is going to start around then it would be great to have some support.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Sarah-Jane wrote:
I keep threatening to do this and have yet to actually try it. November I will begin! If anyone else is going to start around then it would be great to have some support.

I'll probably be starting it about then. But it will take me longer than the 9 weeks.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:41 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

tigerpants wrote:
Edited to say - take it really slowly at first if you need to. I found that 'slow jogging' rather than 'running' worked best for me for the running intervals. it's more important at the start to build up your time running than to run fast.

Definitely, I was jogging rather than running.

Erinnerung wrote:
deearess wrote:

I have giant, bright blue headphones that cover my entire ears. I originally bought them to use as musical earmuffs during winter, but it turns out that they're awesome for the gym. I probably look ridiculous, but they never fall off. I guess I figured I'm going to look ridiculous while running anyway, so I might as well try to make it look intentional.

Hee! This made me laugh, Erin!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Maybe I'll post a photo of me in my horrendous gym attire for everyone's amusement.

And I'm definitely starting on Monday! I want to be done around the time I go home for Christmas. I think I've figured it out so that my last run will be when I'm back home, so I can run along the beach all sexy-like.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 715 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next