| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What's your GF Thanksgiving menu?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:39 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Trying to decide what to make for Thanksgiving. Whole family goes to my sister's house where I am the only vegan (and only GF person). So most of what I bring will be eaten by me,although brave others have been know to try my food! I'm thinking of trying fatfreevegan's Thanksgiving loaf http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2010/11/th ... -loaf.html and maybe being untraditional and making Vegan Diner's mint truffle pie for dessert (there will already be a punpkin pie there) So what are the rest of you planning?

Post subject: Re: What's your GF Thanksgiving menu?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:50 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I stay traditional: chickpea cutlets, gravy, cornbread stuffing (I'm thinking of stuffing the cutlets this year), cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, mashed potatoes, corn, kale salad, green beans, sweet potatoes. My die-hard stuffing fan niece and nephew LOVE the gluten free stuffing. In fact, the fam will eat anything I make except the cutlets. They'd probably like those fine, but since they're eating turkey, I keep those to myself :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:16 pm 
Naked Under Apron

here's what we're having:

walnut crusted oven-baked tempeh
vidalia onions stuffed with gluten-free stuffing
garlicky smashed potatoes
roasted veggies (prolly aspagarus, broccoli, 'n brussels)
mushroom gravy to smother everything above (http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com/2010 ... gravy.html - we make it with chickpea flour)
pumpkin pie with coconut cream

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:11 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I always have grand plans, then I have to downsize cause I have to share oven/kitchen with non-vegan fare.
Last year I made vegweb's enchiladas (per my mom's request), Dreena's Festive Chickpea Tartlets using a GF crust, Garlicky Sweet Potatoes, Bryanna's Rich Brown Gravy and fatfreevegan's mini Pumpkin Cheesecake with her oat crust. It was very good.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:20 pm 
Naked Under Apron

pepitajobo wrote:
I always have grand plans, then I have to downsize cause I have to share oven/kitchen with non-vegan fare.
Last year I made vegweb's enchiladas (per my mom's request), Dreena's Festive Chickpea Tartlets using a GF crust, Garlicky Sweet Potatoes, Bryanna's Rich Brown Gravy and fatfreevegan's mini Pumpkin Cheesecake with her oat crust. It was very good.

i've never tried Dreena's Festive Chickpea Tartlets but have always wanted to. i just might have to this christmas. mmmmmmm! totally gonna give Susan V.'s pumkin cheesecake a whirl, too!

i'd love to hear about what you end up making this year, too. w00t!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:55 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I really love Dreena's tart, I've been making it for the last 3 TG. But I would like to branch out and do a homemade Tofurkey with all the trimmings. Can you guys recommend a non bread stuffing recipe? All I can get is Ener-G bread and do not like it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:44 am 
Naked Under Apron

I'm traveling home to my parents' this year. I'm super excited because my mom is a great cook and always makes the sides vegan (and now xgfx). She is awesome. I'm gonna help with the cooking, so we're gonna make:
cornbread stuffing with xgfx cornbread
caramelized shallots: http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/04/caramelized-shallots/
lemony brussels (i add a little candied nuts): http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/17/dinin ... ref=dining
some sort of sweet potato, these look great: http://www.cookincanuck.com/2010/11/twi ... am-recipe/
fruit compote: http://pakupaku.info/thanksgiving/baked ... dley.shtml
and maybe a big head of roasted cauliflower with cheeze sauce on top.

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:14 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Those sweet potatoes look yummy. I am tempted to make them this year. Thanks Kittee!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:54 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

kittylover wrote:
Trying to decide what to make for Thanksgiving. Whole family goes to my sister's house where I am the only vegan (and only GF person). So most of what I bring will be eaten by me,although brave others have been know to try my food! I'm thinking of trying fatfreevegan's Thanksgiving loaf http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2010/11/th ... -loaf.html and maybe being untraditional and making Vegan Diner's mint truffle pie for dessert (there will already be a punpkin pie there) So what are the rest of you planning?

Thank you so much for posting this loaf! It's just what I've been looking for.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:17 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

This is my first time hosting my parents since they went gluten free this year. I've got everything covered except for the stuffing! Could anyone recommend a simple cornbread recipe or a suggestion of a good vegan, gluten free bread I could make bread cubes out of? Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:25 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

We don't do Thanksgiving here but I gave it a go last year for MoFo, I made mushroom and spinach stuffing, roasted Brussels sprouts with hazelnuts, festive chickpea tart, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie (blërg).

I might do some of these recipes for Christmas plus this mushroom spinach pie too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:08 pm 
Naked Under Apron

ihateacrylic wrote:
This is my first time hosting my parents since they went gluten free this year. I've got everything covered except for the stuffing! Could anyone recommend a simple cornbread recipe or a suggestion of a good vegan, gluten free bread I could make bread cubes out of? Thank you!

hey there. i just modified the recipe from the new farm, and it came out great. this makes a non-sweet pretty cakey bread, which is perfect for cubing and turning into dressing. i use a different recipe for eating, but i like a less cakey bread, usually.

so take this recipe: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/18005/Veg ... Corn-Bread
and instead of the wheat flour add:

1 cup superfine brown rice flour
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1/4 cup tapioca flour
2 tbl potato starch
1/2 tsp xantham gum

you could prolly leave out the gum and add a bit of ground flax seed, but i wanted to make sure my bread wasn't crumbly. i am bringing this on an airplane tomorrow night!

xo
kittee

pakupaku
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:09 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Thank you! You are the best!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:44 pm 
Naked Under Apron

ihateacrylic wrote:
Thank you! You are the best!

i hope you like it. i'm pretty excited with how it came out, i've been munching on the little cubes all day. i think it needs a bit of salt, or be sure to season the dressing with some.

xo
kittee

pakupaku

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:51 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Okay, I just made the mint pie (awesome!) and a sweet poato casserole http://ohsheglows.com/2009/11/24/this-a ... casserole/ which is yummy but I could have used a bit more potatoes(apparently the was a run on them at my market) I've decided to make chickpea cutlets in the morning cause I know they're yummy. Haven't had a chance to test other recipes yet. If I have time I might make biscuts. Oh,I also got an apple pie from a local gluten free bakery. Turns out their apple and blueberry pies are vegan!