| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: daiya!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:00 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Is there anything more to say?! That stuff is killer and helped me go vegan! Whether I eat it on pizza, in a grilled cheese, in lasagna, on top of chili, in a burger, on a sandwich! I can't get enough of this stuff!

Post subject: Re: daiya!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:34 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I don't really like it. The cheddar is completely inedible. And there's always this -> viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7136

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:40 pm 
Human Gravy

Hey, if this is what it takes to get people to be vegan, so be it.

Daiya's fine, just don't over do it. Even if it doesn't make you sick, it really doesn't have much nutritional value.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:43 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Hey, let's try and be nice to new people, okay?

Nettie, do check out the thread rabidchild linked to. It seems daiya is a bit of a polarizing force here, but that's great that it helped you go vegan! I personally like the cheddar shreds on nachos.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:49 pm 
Nailed to the V

I too love daiya especially for grilled cheese, quesadillas, on top of chili, and on pizza! Yay for good vegan cheese!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:50 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Daiya has never made me or my vegan boyfriend sick before, at least not to my knowledge. I've been vegan for 7 years and before I first tried Daiya around a year ago, I didn't eat much vegan cheese. But now I'm kind of obsessed with it and I've gone back to loving cheesy dishes, so I appreciate having something comparable to animal-derived cheese. Now that I have Daiya, I honestly don't miss any foods from my pre-vegan days. If Daiya helps someone such as yourself become vegan, I think that's cool.

And I actually like the cheddar flavor, unlike most other cheddar-flavored vegan cheeses on the market.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:24 pm 
Human Gravy

jordanpattern wrote:

I'm not being un-nice! I actually enjoyed me a nice daiya quesadilla this evening. I just worry about new vegans eating properly, because when I was in high school in the 90s I tried to go vegan and ate basically oreos and white bread for 3 months.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:32 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Allison, not Alison wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:

I'm not being un-nice! I actually enjoyed me a nice daiya quesadilla this evening. I just worry about new vegans eating properly, because when I was in high school in the 90s I tried to go vegan and ate basically oreos and white bread for 3 months.

Allison, I don't think your post was the one Jordan was referring to. ; )

Nettie, I agree - I like the stuff. I find it a bit rich so I use it pretty judiciously, but agree it IS a huge leap forward in vegan cheeses. It's the best one on the market I've found, anyway. And welcome to the PPK boards, btw! I see you're from Winnipeg - I'm down in the Twin Cities! : )

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:36 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I really like daiya! And I'm happy because it's actually made it into a pizza place here so now like half the menu or more is vegan friendly. And honestly, they weren't going to start using any of those other vegan cheeses we have, get anything shipped overseas, or make their own so I'm glad we get something. I'm not sure why people rip on daiya, consumption is optional.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:46 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

dandykins wrote:
Allison, not Alison wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:

Allison, I don't think your post was the one Jordan was referring to. ; )

Yup, sorry! ANA, you evidently posted while I was writing my response. I was addressing rabidchild.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:46 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I like the cheddar but can't seem to like the mozz. It has never made me sick.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:50 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I think Daiya unmelted, in its pure form, is a bit weird and not particularly pleasurable to eat. However, when melted onto a pizza or in an omelette or whatever I may elect to do with it, it is wonderful.

I did a pizza recently that was half Daiya/half Teese, and although the Teese was awesome, Daiya won by a small margin.

There is just something that makes me deliriously happy that there are enough vegan cheese options out there that I can actually claim to have preferences on store-bought options. I like FYH for eating straight, Daiya for melting, etc. It tickles me.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:50 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I like the stuff, but use it pretty sparingly. It's great if you mix a handful into a batch of the vegetable-based, nooch-less (Veg News?) mac and cheese recipe to give it a little something extra! Congrats on becoming vegan!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:55 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I have won over many a non-vegan with daiya mixed with garlic spinach and fried up into a grilled cheese. It just works.

Daiya = good for animals = my bff.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:54 pm 
Human Gravy

jordanpattern wrote:

Yup, sorry! ANA, you evidently posted while I was writing my response. I was addressing rabidchild.

I forgive you. I just want everyone to like me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:11 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I like to use it for feeding omni's or when I really need that melty cheese texture, like on pizza or nachos. But flavour-wise I prefer nooch for pasta and veggie dishes. I've only tried the mozz, I don't know if the other flavours taste better/different.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:26 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I've been vegetarian for almost 12 years and the only thing I ate that wasn't vegan was cheese, chocolate and eggs that were baked in things so the switch wasn't that hard for me. There is a lot of vegan chocolate out there so it was just the cheese that I was having trouble finding a good replacement. All the other vegan cheese i'd had were no where near comparable. I've never had Nooch nor do I think we can get it in Winnipeg. Daiya was the first vegan cheese that I tried and actually liked! It's never made me sick and I don't eat it all that often.

My boyfriend and I recently went to Paris and has this cheese that was made from potato starch. I believe the brand was Vegusto. It was very good and almost tasted too much like the real thing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:30 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Nooch is ppk slang for nutritional yeast! Not that I know whether or not you can get that in Winnipeg, but just so you know our language.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:35 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Oh right! I just read that somewhere. I think in the latest edition of VegNews! Thanks for letting me know as I didn't remember that at all!

Also, Winnipeg definitely has that!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:20 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Welcome Nettie!

I have to say, it took me a while after going vegan to warm up to any vegan cheese, and I've yet to find one that I want to eat unmelted (including Vegusto), but ever since I tried Daiya (in a Daiya grilled cheese sandwich with Yves bacon I got at Sadie's diner in Toronto this summer), I've been fantasizing about trying it again. (Sadly it's not available here in Yurp!) So, I'll be joining you over here in the pro-Daiya camp.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:32 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

jordanpattern wrote:

I'm sorry for having a differing opinion about a food product. In the future I'll try to adore everything that everyone else likes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:48 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

annamal wrote:
I have won over many a non-vegan with daiya mixed with garlic spinach and fried up into a grilled cheese. It just works.

Daiya = good for animals = my bff.

That sammich sounds SO good! I would add in some onions and mushrooms, too. Oh man, I'm hungry.

I like Daiya and I like Teese.
I like cheese from plants and trees.
I like it on tofu, and I like it in a sammich.
I like it in a casserole with TVP, tots and Manwich*.

*I've never actually had this, but tot/sloppy joe casserole with some melty Daiya on top? I'd hit that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:53 am 
Not NOT A Furry

now I want to make vegan rap.

EDIT: I can't help it. ndpittman, I'm sampling you.

I like Daiya and I like Teese
I like cheese from plants and trees
Ask me if I miss bacon and I'll say, "bisque please!"
'cuz I get thanked by the animals and my arteries

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:27 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

YES!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:45 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

nettie camper wrote:
My boyfriend and I recently went to Paris and has this cheese that was made from potato starch. I believe the brand was Vegusto. It was very good and almost tasted too much like the real thing.

I love Vegusto! It's definitely my favourite vegan cheese. I don't love Daiya but that's probably a good thing because you can't buy it here!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next