| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7642 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 306  Next
 Post subject: Re: What nail polish are you wearing?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:57 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Yeah, and the one right next to it - Just a little dangerous is this really gorgeous sparkly dark purple, even though it looks nearly black in the pic.

And since they don't have the names on the bottle I made myself a chart with swatches so I got to play with every color.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:58 pm 
Nailed to the V

lavawitch wrote:
Una wrote:
Chanel has this beautiful white with gold undertones, what is it called? I'm dying to use it for a french manicure!

Is it the Surprise someone mentioned earlier?

The only whites I have are Triomphe ( sheer, creme, maybe slight yellow lean), Blanc Ceramic (subtle shimmer white, semi-sheer), Intermezzo ( opalescent shimmer white). I typically haven't bought the sheers or super pale colors, so I don't have them all. They used to have a duo for French manicure.

Triomphe is ancient, but I think ceramic and intermezzo may be still around. Intermezzo is pretty, and I wear it sometimes, but as a fan of the Chanel polishes, I have to admit the formula is a little bit crepe for $25. It goes on streaky so you either need perfect application or 3 coats. Usually they almost apply themselves and level out so nicely after 2 thin coats, but Intermezzo is a pain.

I think it is surprise, actually. Does anyone have the number on it so I can use my google-fu to find it?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:20 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

paprikapapaya wrote:
bastah wrote:
This is OPI's Sparkle-icious over a dark greeinsh teal. In the right light, it glitters like crazy and looks too sparkly to even be nail polish. I LOOOOOOOVE it. It's a limited edition color, I believe, so hurry up and get it. It was hard to capture, so in my pic it doesn't look too sparkly, but you can see all the sparkle on my thumb:

I love that look, bastah, how'd you get such a straight line for the glitter?

I never would have thought this would work, but it does! Scotch tape (I used the Satin finish kind)! It doesn't pull off your nail polish or leave anything behind on the nail. Well, it doesn't as long as you do one important step, which is to stick the tape to the palm of your hand a few times to get rid of a lot of the stickiness. Also, don't cut the tape into smaller pieces or cut shapes out of the tape until you have already removed a lot of the stickiness (otherwise it won't work). The first time I tried the technique, I ruined my manicure, because the tape was still too sticky, so parts of the tape clung to my nail. Right after you apply to polish, take off the tape, because if you wait for it to dry, you'll lift up the polish you put on your nail. So do one nail at a time. It looks a little time-consuming and difficult, but it takes the same amount of time per nail that it takes to do a normal coat of nail polish. It's super quick and easy (this was my second attempt ever, which was after the first one failed when I did it on my thumb--then I had to remove my polish and start again). You can experiment with the tape too and use a scrapbooking hole punch, so that you have stars to work with or other shapes. I could have also used the tape again and done another color along the bottom of my nail or wherever else, so that it would be a patchwork type design... the possibilities are endless!

The teal I'm wearing is Going Incognito by Essie. Someone just mentioned here that they're now owned by L'oreal.

Fee, that looks like fun!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:34 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

You can't really tell from the picture, but it's a Barry M deep magenta/maroony polish

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:38 pm 

VeganMeredith wrote:
I was so happy to read here that OPI nail polishes are vegan, I've been wondering that! My favorite color is Lincoln Park After Dark, it's a really dark purple color, so pretty!

I have a friend that ALWAYS has Lincoln Park After Dark on her toenails. It really is a beautiful color!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:48 pm 

lavawitch wrote:
I'm drooling:

But, they are releasing too many colors this year! Honestly, I think I've bought more in the past 6 months than in the previous 2 years. At least I funded the last two sets (Khakis and SoHo) with some nice Amazon book sales. Unwanted textbooks into nail polish = win.

Of course, I'll buy this one anyway, but I thought it would be a spring 2011 release. Since when are they releasing a makeup Cruise collection? Especially right on the heels of Holiday.

I can probably justify this as a bribe though: study for physics praxis and GRE, and I get to blow $20 on nail polish. God knows I need some kind of shallow motivating factor to get my butt in gear on these.

I am hoping that this is similar to my beloved Crystal Blue. I have a small bit of that bottle left, but it is almost 10 years old and a bit thick; also very sheer. It apparently sells for over $100 on ebay on the rare occasions that a bottle comes available.

Nylon has instructions on how to mix your own! I'm in love with this color so I'm totally going to do this!
http://www.nylonmag.com/?section=article&parid=5408

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:27 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Una wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
Una wrote:
Chanel has this beautiful white with gold undertones, what is it called? I'm dying to use it for a french manicure!

Is it the Surprise someone mentioned earlier?

The only whites I have are Triomphe ( sheer, creme, maybe slight yellow lean), Blanc Ceramic (subtle shimmer white, semi-sheer), Intermezzo ( opalescent shimmer white). I typically haven't bought the sheers or super pale colors, so I don't have them all. They used to have a duo for French manicure.

Triomphe is ancient, but I think ceramic and intermezzo may be still around. Intermezzo is pretty, and I wear it sometimes, but as a fan of the Chanel polishes, I have to admit the formula is a little bit crepe for $25. It goes on streaky so you either need perfect application or 3 coats. Usually they almost apply themselves and level out so nicely after 2 thin coats, but Intermezzo is a pain.

I think it might have been a Euro only release? I've never actually seen it, that I can recall.

I think it is surprise, actually. Does anyone have the number on it so I can use my google-fu to find it?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:35 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I saw the nylon article, but it doesn't look much like the runway photos.

I'm sure people will be looking for dupes once there are actual color samples available. I don't think it is going to look like the bottle color.

Apparently the $39 rumor was overstated. Chanel customer service said it will be $27 which is still $4 more than usual, but I will buy it anyway, especially since they have free shipping.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:13 pm 

Una wrote:

153. But I think Surprise could be more of an actual gold (albeit quite a pale one) than what you're describing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:30 pm 

Here is my jelly manicure. There is so much going on in this manicure, which is why I am showing you three pics. There are many different types of glitter, shimmer, and flash. You have to look at all three pics to see all the shine and colors! I can't post large pics here, so you might not see all the colors you would be able to see if you saw it at a larger size

Here are all the colors used in case you want any:

The base is Zoya's Shimmer, which is a very sheer pink with shimmer.

Then I did a coat of Zoya's Vegas Freeze, which is a very sheer purple (you can see the purple flash in the light--this one will never be opaque or even close to it, so don't bother doing too many coats) with shimmer (you can see it showing up in at least one of these pictures of this manicure). I did a few coats of this and with each coat, I started further up the nail.

Then I covered the top half or so of the nail with 1 coat of Zoya's Roxy (red-based jelly purple with matching glitter).

Next I covered up the top half of the Roxy section with two coats of Nubar's Violet Sparkle (purple glitter in a matching base!)

Then I covered 3/4 of the nail with Nubar's Sugar (pink jelly with small and large sparse holographic glitter--best polish EVER). Then I did a second coat, but that only went on the tips of my nails. Do you know what happens when you put a jelly over glitter? You get fire, amazing fire. The purple glitter now has hot pink glitter too from the jelly obscuring it. It's awesome

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:35 pm 

Lavawitch, on a blog today I saw swatches of that Chanel blue you want http://www.lacquerized.com/2010/11/chanel-cote-dazur-collection-le-vernis.html

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:50 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Bastah, that jelly gradient is freaking amazing. How long did it take you?

I saw the Riva swatches. I love it, although I was hoping for it to be more of a Crystal Blue dupe.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:13 pm 

lavawitch wrote:
Bastah, that jelly gradient is freaking amazing. How long did it take you?

Thanks! Well, it took forfreakingever. I answered the phone after doing like the fourth layer of polish on one of my hands and however I answered the phone screwed up the polish on every finger, so I had to take it all off and start over! I did it while watching a movie last night and I was definitely painting throughout the movie and after. Then it never dried and it got messed up while I was sleeping, so at least I got some pics out of it and it's not a total loss.

Did you ever see this gradient that I did? This one is cool since my nails were so short at the time. It looked a lot better in real life though:
Zoya Colors used:
Snowsicle was the base, there is one coat of Soho Punch, followed by two coats, followed by Gilda on the tips, followed by Astra over half my nail (the glitter)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:35 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm wearing 3 different golds; that is as creative as I get.

That is sad it got messed up. I hate getting sheet marks. That definitely helped train me in thin coats.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:59 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

bastah is my nail-spiration, holy crepe.

I am currently trying to get China Glaze Ick-A-Bod-Y off my nails. The remover that I use takes the actual polish off, and leaves the glitter behind. So I took a file and filed the glitter off two nails, but that's so time consuming. I just want to get it off so I can put on China Glaze TTYL, which is a gorgeous rusty peach holo.

What remover do you guys use? Does it actually take glitter off with the polish?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:14 pm 
Huffs Nooch

DrakeRedcrest wrote:

I am currently trying to get China Glaze Ick-A-Bod-Y off my nails. The remover that I use takes the actual polish off, and leaves the glitter behind. So I took a file and filed the glitter off two nails, but that's so time consuming. I just want to get it off so I can put on China Glaze TTYL, which is a gorgeous rusty peach holo.

What remover do you guys use? Does it actually take glitter off with the polish?

Are you using PURE acetone? I try not to usually since it's a bit harsh on my hands and nails, but when it comes to removing glitter nailpolish, it's the only thing that will work for me.

Try the foil method with it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta_k50JkvkQ
http://www.pinksith.com/2010/03/glitter ... imple.html

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:28 pm 

DrakeRedcrest wrote:

Awww thanks!

Yes, use the foil method! It works soooooooo well and is what I typed out before I saw that it was just suggested to you. Also, Zoya's Remove+ is the best remover I have ever used.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:54 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

It's Sally Hansen Insta-Dri in Mint Sprint. Super easy, but doesn't last that long.
http://sallyhansen.com/product.cfm?product=375

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:46 pm 
Nailed to the V

melanie wrote:
Una wrote:

153. But I think Surprise could be more of an actual gold (albeit quite a pale one) than what you're describing.

Allow me to do a facepalm... The french manicure that I saw it on used a white base with a coat of surprise on top. Still happy to have the number, I bought a bottle of it off of ebay.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:49 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Una wrote:
melanie wrote:
Una wrote:

Allow me to do a facepalm... The french manicure that I saw it on used a white base with a coat of surprise on top. Still happy to have the number, I bought a bottle of it off of ebay.

Yikes! How much was it? By bay prices, I could pay off my Harley with nail polish.

From the photos, I wonder how similar it is to the current one, Gold Lame ( that one is a light gold). If you ilk Chanel and want gold, get Illusion d'Or to layer over surprise.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:23 pm 

What are your favorite brands?

1. My very favorite is Nubar. I love their formula soooooooooooo much and it wears like iron. They also have my top two favorite nail polish colors (Sugar and Purple Rain Glitter).Their colors are amazing and they have some super fun ones. What I hate is that it's super hard to find. Unless you live in L.A., you're SOL. Mr. Nubar himself was talking how he was trying to get the line in stores nationally. You can purchase their million or so colors on their Web site (see the tab about how it's vegan and cruelty-free?! I love that they have that). The only reason why I have any is that they had a sale, which might have been their first sale ever, I don't know. I jumped on the opportunity and ordered many and I'm SO glad I did that http://www.bynubar.com/store/index.php?p=home

2. Zoya comes in second place. I love their bottle and their brush (perfect size!). They have all sorts of colors ranging from fun to neutral. They also advertise that their colors are vegan. They have the most amazing customer service on the entire planet, which includes an online chat feature that's super convenient. They have so many contests (Facebook and Twitter) and promotions. Plus, they have the nail polish exchange each year (they even let you donate your unwanted polishes wherever you want and then they'll send you new colors of your choosing). It's not the most accessible, but there is a store by my apartment that sells it, which is convenient (although they only have like 70 of the 300 some colors). It's for these reasons that I have so many Zoya colors! Seriously, their promos can't be beat (there was one which gave you $18 off of any order and you could place as many orders as you wanted)! http://www.zoya.com/

3. OPI comes in third place. There are two main reasons: accessibility and some majorly fun color choices. They come out with collections all the time (the store by my apartment always has the collections right when they come out) and there's always at least one color that I MUST have (with Burlesque collection it was Sparkle-icious and Let Me Entertain You, with the Swiss collection it was Lucerne-tainly Look Marvelous--my third favorite polish ever, with the Flutter collection it was Catch Me in Your Net, with the Shrek collection it was Who the Shrek Are You?... you get the idea). One huge drawback is that the formula sucks. Everyone always says how it's the best formula, so I don't know if it's just my body chemistry or what. The cremes are unwearable for me and their polish chips within a day depending on the the color. OPI must be one of my favorites if I still buy it despite the formula.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:55 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I hope Nubar is able to expand. I've seen so many nice looking swatches on nail blogs, but their promo materials are frequently hideous, and make their colors look cheap; I wonder if that holds them back. Zoya makes everything look so appealing. I'd like to see some in person, but the Ulta here seems to only sell Ultra brand polish and a couple generic looking OPIs.

You know what my favorite brand is!

That is interesting about body chemistry; I never thought about that being a factor with nail polish. Brush seems to make the biggest difference to me, but I am still a klutz at putting it on.

I want to get the Zoya base and top coat. Do you like them Bastah? I've heard that you get better results using 5-free products with each other and I need a good new base coat.

Is Nubar also 5-free? It seems like Zoya should capitalize more about being formaldehyde resin free as well as the other stuff. It is ridiculous that Butter London gets so much mileage and press out of being more environmentally friendly and 3-free when that really should just be expected these days.

I want to branch out and try some of these, but I barely control my Chanel addiction. I am afraid of unleashing a new monster. 300 colors...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:57 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Punky, that color looks gorgeous on you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:30 am 

lavawitch wrote:
I hope Nubar is able to expand. I've seen so many nice looking swatches on nail blogs, but their promo materials are frequently hideous, and make their colors look cheap; I wonder if that holds them back. Zoya makes everything look so appealing. I'd like to see some in person, but the Ulta here seems to only sell Ultra brand polish and a couple generic looking OPIs.

You know what my favorite brand is!

That is interesting about body chemistry; I never thought about that being a factor with nail polish. Brush seems to make the biggest difference to me, but I am still a klutz at putting it on.

I want to get the Zoya base and top coat. Do you like them Bastah? I've heard that you get better results using 5-free products with each other and I need a good new base coat.

Is Nubar also 5-free? It seems like Zoya should capitalize more about being formaldehyde resin free as well as the other stuff. It is ridiculous that Butter London gets so much mileage and press out of being more environmentally friendly and 3-free when that really should just be expected these days.

I want to branch out and try some of these, but I barely control my Chanel addiction. I am afraid of unleashing a new monster. 300 colors...

The only Nubar ads I've seen are on their site, so I don't know how people even know that they exist, and I agree that that the art work isn't that great. But as I said, their polish is anything but cheap (quality-wise) and I want everyone here to try it out!

I haven't tried the top or base coats yet, but I'll have them on Friday! They're currently having a promo where you get the top coat, base coat and quick-dry drops for $24, so I ordered that when I placed my order. I also got Renew, which is their thinner. I have a bunch of polishes that can use that! Plus if a manicure is bubbling, it could be because the top coat, base coat, or nail polish is too thick... I have a lot of problems with bubbles. I don't shake my polish, I try not to do thick layers, and I don't paint my nails near a fan, so who knows.

I don't know if Nubar is 5 free. I don't see the ingredients anywhere on the bottle of label.

I totally get why you don't want to branch out, because I have that problem too since I'm a nail polish hoarder! I REALLY want to try Nfu-Ohs!

I'm thinking about starting a nail polish blog, but I don't know if anyone would read it or how interesting it would be to people

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:31 am 

punky! wrote:

It's Sally Hansen Insta-Dri in Mint Sprint. Super easy, but doesn't last that long.
http://sallyhansen.com/product.cfm?product=375

LOVE!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7642 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 306  Next