| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Good cameras...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:47 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

So, I'm checking the market for a new camera... Mine is all beat up and booboo. Plus, it's old and doesn't take very good pictures anymore.
I'm looking for cameras that are point and shoot (I'm not a pro or hobbyist), preferably under $200...

What kind of camera do you have? What camera do you want?

Post subject: Re: Good cameras...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:54 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

I have a Sony Cybershot - the touch screen ones from the commercials with Ashton Kutcher. I like it alot, and it takes great pictures but I want a fancy schmancy Nikon dslr

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:44 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have a Panasonic Lumix FZ-18 and it's pretty great. I just had a look on Amazon and you can get secondhand ones for under $200. It's bulky though- not an SLR, but it has a lot of manual options in case you're ever inclined to head down that path. And an 18x zoom. I love it for travel, but it's not really the kind of thing you would probably throw in your bag for a night out. But I would definitely also recommend the other Lumix cameras with Leica lenses.

I tend to take more film photos these days. I think I'd like a Smena 8 to add to my collection next- I need a nice little 35mm camera, since 120 film is getting way too expensive for me to keep getting developed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:20 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have an Olympus Stylus Tough. It can be dropped up to 6 feet and can go underwater and basically be abused in any number of ways, which is perfect for the austere environment I currently live in. It also take excellent photos. I have been very happy with it, and highly recommend it. It was a gift, though, so I don't know how much it costs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:19 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll definitely check those out. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:18 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I really love my Canon PowerShot. It's an SD700 with image stabilization, which helps you get clear photos in crappy lighting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:36 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I have a Nikon Coolpix S4000, and a Nikon SLR something like the model FG-20.. from 1984, yeah that's right, I have a camera older than I am! It's still reliable though..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:17 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I have a Canon Powershot. My SD1000 just broke so I ordered an SD1300.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:45 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I've been looking at Canons, since the ones in my price range seem to be pretty good, with good reviews, etc... But some of those Nikons look awesome, and I'm a sucker for pretty things. And that Olympus Stylus Tough seems so awesome, just for the durability.

In the end, I'll probably just go with the newest model Canon ELPH that's $200 or below, which is either the SD1400IS or the SD1300IS... Hopefully I can find one of those used at a good price.
Thanks for all the suggestions!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:11 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I just bought a point and shoot after reading reviews and such for months. Consensus: Canon makes really nice point and shoots. I love Nikons and have a Nikon dslr, but Canon's are consistently good. Not to say other's aren't.

I'm not on my computer right now (ya know, the one with all the lists and pro/con lists) but I remember using this website for some recs.

If price is a major factor refurbished cameras are a good way to go. That's we ended up doing. We got a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR1. It has a Leica lens and is just plain awesome. I love it. We thought about the rough and tumble cameras because my partnerguy does endurance races in winter, but I couldn't sacrifice image quality for temperature ratings (but I'm really picky about cameras). This is getting long, but the best advice is to go play with lots of cameras and pick the one that feels best.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:58 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

I have a Canon SD1300, and I luff it. I love the continuous shot feature. I take way more pictures than I thought I would and would like to try an SLR at some point. I have my dad's old one, but it takes film. I like digital because I can take a crepeton of photos without worrying about the cost. Also, I don't have a clue how to use it.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:13 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The PowerShots are really nice. I've used like four different generations of them now and have been really pleased with them. They're great for point and shoot AND they're not awful if you actually like to set the settings on your camera (like me). They're a really nice family camera... something for everyone and whatnot.

Our last PowerShot broke recently and we downgraded to an Olympus FEsomething or other. It's okay... great in high light situations (outdoors) but really not very good in low light situations. It's sorta our beater camera now, and well... that's what I'd recommend it for.

Someone should start a sexy DSLR thread because I would love to talk about my DSLR, but it is not really relevant here.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:46 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I had a Sony something or other shot that went to crepe after 4 years so I upgraded to a Canon EOS Rebel XS dSLR. It's good but doesn't take movies and I'm going to Disney on Ice later today and you can't bring SLRs so I bought a Panasonic Lumix yesterday (14mp, 720p video) because a friend recommended them and I read some good things but I haven't played with it enough to recommend it or not.

That being said - I'm actually here because I want to buy my mom a camera for Christmas. She's a good photographer, but she sucks at technology. Recommendations for an easy to use digital camera with super easy software?

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:14 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I have a Canon SD1000 and Canon SX200 IS. I am a huge proponent of all thing Canon so of course I am going to highly highly recommend a Canon Elph (the SD series).

I would suggest this - http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/C ... 1400is.asp
Or the SD1300 to safely fit within your price range.

I really feel Canon has one of the most intuitive interfaces and their point and shoot cameras produce images with really excellent image quality.

That dpreview.com website might be useful for comparing cameras side by side. Good luck with your search!