| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Vegan Protein Powder
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:56 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Does anyone have a favorite protein mix/shake mix that's not ridiculously expensive like Vega? I work out a lot and don't always have time to eat well balanced meals since I'm a student and have a crazy schedule, so I was hoping to maybe fit in a protein shake every day. But Vega is not in my budget at all!

Post subject: Re: Vegan Protein Powder
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:20 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

my fave is the rice protien. I find it less...gritty???

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:30 pm 

Any particular brand?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:07 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I like Whole Foods' soy protein powder with spirulina, vanilla-flavored. It's $12 for the can and really decent in my pb/banana/vanilla soymilk smoothies.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:27 am 

Oh how I wish we had a Whole Foods here, maybe I'll get my aunt to get me some and send it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:01 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

my favorite by far is Raw Vanilla SunWarrior, they also have natural and chocolate but never tried those yet. we've been able to find discount coupons from other blogs and whatnot to make it a bit cheaper.

another option is to buy in bulk then make your own protein mix with hemp/rice/ect. which should be cheaper. I personally stay away from soy protein and try to stick to less processed whole protein sources.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:51 am 
Saggy Butt

i like sun warrior as well, but it's expensive. you can find it on sale once in a while or find coupons.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:39 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I like pure hemp powder (not the Trader Joe's kind that has a ton of gross flavors and additives). I recently discovered that Whole Foods body and bath section (whatever it's called) carries large and relatively cheap containers of hemp.

Not sure how healthy it is/ what it does for me, but I do find that two tbsp in my breakfast smoothie keeps me feeling full until lunch.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:10 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Go to trueprotein.com and find the custom mix option. It's way cheaper than anything else you're going to find. They have pea, rice, hemp and soy that you can blend however you want and add flavors/sweeteners/creatine/taurine/what have you. I use 70/30 pea/rice because it has the best amino acid profile.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:18 pm 
WRETCHED

vegimator wrote:
Go to trueprotein.com and find the custom mix option. It's way cheaper than anything else you're going to find. They have pea, rice, hemp and soy that you can blend however you want and add flavors/sweeteners/creatine/taurine/what have you. I use 70/30 pea/rice because it has the best amino acid profile.

Do you know what is in the flavors? I see they have natural chocolate and chocolate unsweetened? I'm out of my vega but I don't use it often and really I want chocolate. I guess I could add my own cocoa powder but I was curious.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:22 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

linanil wrote:
vegimator wrote:

Do you know what is in the flavors? I see they have natural chocolate and chocolate unsweetened? I'm out of my vega but I don't use it often and really I want chocolate. I guess I could add my own cocoa powder but I was curious.

I'm not sure. I know some people on veganbodybuilding recommend the premium flavors but I can't guarantee that they've checked to make sure they're vegan. I used to get just the vanilla flavoring and stevia as a sweetener because how can that not be vegan, but lately I've been getting it unflavored so I can use it in homemade energy bars and such.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:41 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

vegimator wrote:
linanil wrote:
vegimator wrote:

I'm not sure. I know some people on veganbodybuilding recommend the premium flavors but I can't guarantee that they've checked to make sure they're vegan. I used to get just the vanilla flavoring and stevia as a sweetener because how can that not be vegan, but lately I've been getting it unflavored so I can use it in homemade energy bars and such.

I bought mine from there on your recommendation, vegimator--so much cheaper than anything else I 've seen! I also get them unflavored because that way I can add whatever I want.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:28 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

vegimator wrote:

I totally bookmarked that and meant to buy it when you posted it on the old boards- I am seriously gonna get some this time!

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:06 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I rather like the nutribiotic vanilla rice protein. The chocolate isn't quite as yummy. Hemp is, well, hemp-y.

I would love to try Vega, but at $7/serving, fork that.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:14 pm 
Nailed to the V

Word on the street is this stuff is re-branded Vega. Can anyone confirm the rumor?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:23 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Laser Ox wrote:

Yeah it is. I've had that stuff too. It tastes kinda gross though (is there more than just the berry flavor now?) and is actually pretty damn low protein (but so is vega I guess). One level 30g scoop of the stuff from trueprotein is nearly 25 grams protein vs 13 grams protein per 35 gram scoop for this stuff.

It is cool that it has the vitamins, probiotics, maca and all that other fancy stuff but when I buy protein powder, I mostly want protein.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:54 pm 

vegimator wrote:

I'll have to check this out!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:58 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

This is from a 2 year old email, but I'm assuming they haven't changed much. (I asked about both animal products and included sweeteners.)

true protein wrote:
Good morning Mel and thanks for the email! None of the Premium or Natural Premium flavor systems will contain any animal byproducts whatsoever, so you are free to use any of those materials. The Premium flavors will contain Acesulfame Potassium and Sucralose, whereas the Natural Premium flavors will be presweetened with the natural herbal sweetener Stevia. Thanks again and please feel free to contact us with any additional questions or requests,

-Carl

I swear by hemp protein. It's the only one I can stomach. I can tolerate rice in smaller quantities, but I try to get 20-25 g per shake and by then rice starts getting really strong. Soy is pretty neutral tasting too, but I've been having some digestive issues with it.

Last edited by mel c on Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:02 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

vegimator wrote:

Looked on the site and was overwhelmed. Where should I start?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:10 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

blizzful wrote:
Looked on the site and was overwhelmed. Where should I start?

Products->formulas->custom mixes

Like I said in the previous post, I like 70/30 pea/rice. Some people think pea tastes terrible, some think rice tastes bad, etc. None of them taste great unflavored though (although I have heard that soy is the most neutral tasting) so you might want to get one of the premium flavors. I've noticed that most people prefer a chocolate flavor over a berry flavor. The last time I ordered, I actually did 70/25/5 pea, rice and taurine just to try it out.

Some people have problems digesting soy and to a lesser extent, pea protein, so if you have any concerns about that, rice and/or hemp might be a better bet. Something to keep in mind with "hemp protein" - it's lower in protein and higher in fat than the other options which can be a good or a bad thing since it has a fair amount of omega 3s.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:38 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I bought some phyto pea protein but I feel a bit ick after taking it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:48 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I love pea protein! Has anyone tried this one? Saw it at Rainbow and was (duh) intrigued by the packaging:

Olympian Labs Pea Protein
http://www.olympianlabs.com/products/de ... otein.html

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:10 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'm in Canada, so I don't know if you can get this but President's Choice Soy Protein (it's The Real Canadian Superstore's house brand) is cheap and good for kinda creamy, milkshake-y smoothies. I also love Manitoba Harvest hemp protein. Both are inexpensive. I originally used Genisoy soy protein, which is good and reasonably priced, and I suspect the PC brand may be made by them.

I should note I have an aversion to the add-liquid-and-shake type protein drinks, so if that's what you're looking at my opinion may be of little use. I'm a frozen fruit smoothie kinda gal.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:28 am 
Bathes in Braggs

soleilune wrote:
I'm in Canada, so I don't know if you can get this but President's Choice Soy Protein (it's The Real Canadian Superstore's house brand) is cheap and good for kinda creamy, milkshake-y smoothies. I also love Manitoba Harvest hemp protein. Both are inexpensive. I originally used Genisoy soy protein, which is good and reasonably priced, and I suspect the PC brand may be made by them.

I like that hemp protein as well; I get it at Bulk Barn. It does have a distinctive taste, though, which I quite like but others may find off-putting.

I've never tried the PC brand but will have to look at.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next