| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Allotment.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:23 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I managed to acquire through a friend of mine an allotment,now where i live these things are so hard to get that i am being accused of being in the illuminati.
The only bad point is this.
I am very excited about having my patch of land and cant wait to plant things on it but i have no idea what i am doing :) i have turned over the land ,got rid of the grass and weeds which took 5 weekends of constant digging i used no chemicals for this, what do i plant first? is there any tips anyone can give me, i heard that if you planted potatoes first it makes the ground better and more fertile,or is this just a myth? :)
Is there anything i can plant in the winter months?
Any help is much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: My Allotment.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:52 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

If you were in North America, I'd say to look for your growing zone and find a planting schedule to go with that zone. But I'm not sure if there are zone maps for the UK or what they're called if they exist.

In many places, you can grow greens like kale and collards in the winter and root vegetables like beets, carrots, and turnips. But it depends on how cold it gets where you live.

If there's a good gardening store near you, I'd start by looking on their website. They'll often have links to local growing schedules.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:39 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Thank you :) i will look into that , i didnt think such things existed.I there a UK substitute for collards? i think it may be spring greens but i am unsure.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:45 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

In general, just think of hardy green vegetables. Broccoli, kale, Asian greens like bok choi.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:43 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

We grew a lot of chard... like really a lot of it. We'll plant half the amount next year. I'd plant a small amount of lots of different things, rather than loads of a few things, purely because you'll get very tired of courgettes on everything after your plant grows five new ones every three days. Urk.

The BBC has fairly good resources what you can grow when.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:46 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Oh, and you can start things off indoors and then move them outside when they've sprouted and got established (and the weather is nicer). Most of the things in my vegetable garden started life in takeaway containers on the windowsill. When they're bigger, transfer them to little newspaper pots (I shaped them using a glass - they more or less hold their shape when packed with potting compost).