| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weekend in San Fran--tell me where to eat!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:37 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I have a work trip this weekend that's going to take me to San Francisco--my hotel is at Mission & Fourth--and after I get there Saturday I should have a few hours to spare before I have to start herding clients around to meetings. I haven't been there in years and have no idea where vegan food is to be found. So tell me where I should eat! (Especially near where I'll be staying/working if that's possible, since we're a small company and I can't really put "$40 cab ride to go get delicious food" on an expense report, as much as I'd like to.)

Also, Rainbow Grocery: walkable from my hotel or not? Usually when traveling my plan of last resort is to locate the nearest health food store and stock my hotel mini bar with groceries, but I don't trust Google maps walking directions ever since I tried to find a coffee shop in Vancouver and wound up at the Church of Scientology.

Post subject: Re: Weekend in San Fran--tell me where to eat!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:10 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

First rule of Fight Club San Francisco: Don't call it San Fran Frisco.

That out of the way, your hotel is close to a Whole Foods and a Loving Hut to-go counter (in the food court of the Westride mall). Rainbow would be a good long walk but you could take the mission bus and be there in ten minutes. Then you've got everything in the mission: burritos (I recommend El Toro), Cha Ya, Ethiopian, Gracias Madre, etc.

In between there is DNA pizza, which has vegan slices now. You're also fairly close to the tenderloin and therefore Millennium and Golden Era. You're also quite close to BART, so don't neglect the East Bay! Souley Vegan is quite close to 12th Street BART.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:12 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

You are fairly close to BART, and it is a really easy system to navigate if you want to travel for restaurant food without the cabs.

I really, really like Papalote in the Mission for burritos. I had the soyrizo one and it was sooo good. I've heard good things about the tofu mole burrito too. I've been craving a burrito all day so that's all I can about right now. I still haven't gone, but everyone on here recommends the heck out of Gracias Madre.

Since your hotel is 1.5 miles from Rainbow I'd say it's walkable, but it would be a longer walk. If you only have a few hours to spare that might take up most of your free time. It's a really cool place though.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:16 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

You're right next to ZPizza (Mission between 4th and 5th), which has vegan burger crumbles and Daiya. You're also somewhat close to Source, I've walked between those areas before, but you would need a little more time.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:45 pm 

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
First rule of Fight Club San Francisco: Don't call it San Fran Frisco Frisco.

Didn't see where I did that...sorry for abbreviating, I guess? I work with mostly Canadians who all say San Fran Frisco, so I'm going to blame Canada. (Edit: aaaand now I see the filter.)

That out of the way, thanks for these suggestions, I really appreciate them. I'm going for a conference and normally at these things I live on coffee and Clif bars for days, so actual food would be a huge improvement!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:51 pm 
post-coital oreo truffle

I definitely recommend BARTing to Oakland and checking out Souley Vegan, if you have time!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:15 am 

Souley Vegan is definitely worth the BART ride if you have time. Get the toasty sandwich or whatever it is called. Your life will never be the same.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:19 am 
Asked Santa for a pony

Ohhhhhh, a conference. Yeah, you're probably not going to have time to go anywhere fun.

In that case your best bets are going to be the Loving Hut or SF Soup Co in the Westfield mall on the next block over. SF Soup labels things as vegetarian and dairy free, if they have the corn chowder I highly recommend that in a bread bowl. Whole Foods is 3 blocks from your hotel at 4th and Harrison. There's a Chipotle 2 blocks over on Mission and New Montgromery. Z Pizza is half a block. Blue Bottle Coffee is 1 block over at 5th and Mission in Mint Plaza, it can be a bit of a wait but they make awesome coffee.

In the event you have a little bit of extra time (45 minutes to an hour?) you can hop on any of the inbound MUNI subway lines and go 2 stops to the Embarcadero station and go to the Plant Cafe at 101 California St. If you call ahead and place your order you can probably do it in 30 minutes

Paxtis which has awesome Chicago style deep dish with daiya does deliver if you wanted to try something really good but don't have time leave your hotel, keep in mind delivery times can be up to an hour and a half.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:54 pm 

I had no idea there was a Loving Hut so close to my hotel! Someone needs to tell Happy Cow about all this (either that or I somehow screwed up the search there).

There's a possibility I'll need to take clients somewhere fancy-ish one night and I'm wondering if I can get away with taking Thunder Bay carnivores to Millennium. hmmmmm...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:00 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

You can also hop on the 14 mission bus and head out towards Rainbow and the mission, where you'll find burritos and Gracias Madre and Cha Ya, which I recommend. It's probably a 20-minute bus ride.

If you want fancy, Millennium is really amazing. If you're worried about carnivores, Saha is close by as well, and has extensive vegan options but also meat and stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:10 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

equus wrote:
I had no idea there was a Loving Hut so close to my hotel! Someone needs to tell Happy Cow about all this (either that or I somehow screwed up the search there).

There's a possibility I'll need to take clients somewhere fancy-ish one night and I'm wondering if I can get away with taking Thunder Bay carnivores to Millennium. hmmmmm...

Omnis go crazy for Gracias Madre, it's pretty yuppie-fancy...but can be a little loud and you would need to make a reservation. Millennium is also a good choice. And for some reason beyond me a lot of omnis really like Green's, which is really fancy facny and has a good view, but I don't think the food is that great.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:30 pm 

My omnivore husband absolutely adored Millennium.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:35 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Yeah, my parents went to Millennium years ago and they had no idea it was a vegetarian (not to mention vegan) restaurant because they were so distracted by the amazing food!

I agree that omnis love Gracias Madre. They don't serve fake meat or even tofu/tempeh/seitan so the menu doesn't seem "threatening". It is loud for dinner though.

Saha is wonderful! Make a reservation!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:44 am 
Lime and a Coconut

Gracias Madre doesn't take reservations for parties less than six, FYI

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:01 am 
Tofu Pup

GREENS in SF...A bit pricey though.