| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Eat to Live
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:46 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Okay, I'm back to thinking about this. Does rice milk have a place in the plan? I like it in my smoothies.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:22 am 
Seagull of the PPK

I have finally just read the book and I am really, really excited. it is basically how i eat when i'm raw, along with the things that i just can't live without (which make me give up being raw in the end, usually). I also like how there is some flexibility (i have a real hard time with no added salt and no tea.) I have 6 weeks before new year's, from what I can gather, so i think we are good to go! it's still cold here, which has made me wait on raw for months, but if it's cold i just can't bring myself to it. Throw some soup into the deal though, and I'm good.

What's funny is that I've been all over the fatfree vegan blog lately, and her recipes have been just amazing. Last night I made vegan foo yung, and a few weeks ago i made an eggplant paprikash that had everyone absolutely slurping it up (and my family HATE eggplant). It reminds me of when I discovered The Isa Cookbook Empire and every single damn recipe was more amazing than the last one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:32 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I am reading this! It's the first time going over the concepts Dr. Fuhrman addresses in the book, for me, and I admit I find it a wee bit technical too be sure...however, I am simultaneously reading Neil Barnard's "Breaking The Food Seduction" (I have a bit of an "issue" with being chocoholic!) and maybe I just find Neil Barnard's writing to have a more conversational, friendlier tone?
No matter, I will stick with reading the both of these books, I am getting some really good insight and "aha!" revelations!

I know I want to do one of the two plans, anyway, and really, they are similar enough from what I can tell that there is no reason they won' work in unison over time.
Yay whole foods-I am sprouting some hemp seeds now, I had leftovers after making a really great, if I do say so myself, raw hemp alfredo sauce which I took to a mostly-raw, vegan potluck over the weekend. Inspiring food to get me started.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:01 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I just bought this book. I am about halfway through and quite enjoying it so far. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:16 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Okay, EETLIES. Tell me please, I have a question and though i just joined the yahoo group you can bet i'm not going to use my second post to talk about poop there like i can here. mmmkay?
It's been almost a week, i have done raw food before, i know the joy of rawfood poop, clean wipe, etc etc. Not so joyful is its insistent frequency, but whatevs.
with this ETL thing, I have the most amazing bloat, explosive expulsions, and round the clock it sounds like my gut bacteria are having their own little 4th of July parade complete with fireworks inside my belleh. And for no oil in my food, why the hell is my excrement so greasy?? It's like when I had giardia without the sulfur burps, really. I am going to eat sauerkraut for lunch today, and hope that helps, but hot damn!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:45 pm 

I have no idea, but so you don't feel ignored . . . :D the raw foodists would always call this detox but who knows. are you eating the 1 cup grains?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:16 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

not really, amazingly..... i'm having 1/2 cup granola in the AM (which is basically puffed quinoa and just plain rolled oats). the rest of the day, man it's beans and greens. Maybe it's this batch of beans (some odd kind of red beans, maybe cranberry? not my usual beans), we'll see what happens when i finish this kilo and move back to the black and pinto beans we usually eat.
Thanks for the attempt, Appifanie!!!!

other than that, not bad. Today I learned that shredded carrot with some nooch and a bit of onion salt is pretty satisfying in a taco salad with refried beans and homemade salsa with ancho chilies. and it's peach season, so things are goooooooood.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:50 am 
Seagull of the PPK

So, is there anyone else out here?

It looks like the beans were the culprit. Changed type of beans, and no more probs.

It's been, what, two weeks or so? I have had a few "cheats" but not many- on the whole I think I would say I probably am eating better and more comfortably than when I am raw.

I have had the breakfast frustration though- I ran out of the granola and such I had stashed and now don't know what to eat. I made some whole grain rye bread and had that but bread for breakfast gives me heartburn. I don't really like granola. Wondering what I should eat for breakfast.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:17 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'm still here, too, off-and-on. Soon, I will have to give it my best for another couple of weeks because after then I will be taking a slight hiatus from the plan for the holidays. Hmm, torque, could you do something savory for breakfast? A grilled lettuce and (maybe) sea vegetable salad?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:40 pm 

torque wrote:
Wondering what I should eat for breakfast.

There is a recipe in the ETL book for oatmeal made with a small amount of oats and lots of fruit. It looks pretty yummy! Does something like that appeal to you?

I'm kind of lazy and not very hungry in the mornings, so a green smoothie is plenty for me. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:19 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i should have prefaced this with the whole southern-hemisphere-summer thing. In the winter, hot oatmeal is my go-to (with the flax meal). Now that it's finally getting warmer, I guess I will have to keep up with the smoothies (i have 3 days a week when I work 14h, and so i eat green smoothies on those days, so try to avoid them when i'm not working, but at least they're convenient. It's a bisque when i can't find a bathroom between clients, though...)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:19 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I've been doing Eat to Live for the past week, but not yesterday because it was my birthday (or today to finish up the leftovers). Really, I don't like the recipes in the book but FFV Kitchen is the best and so is Healthy Girl's Kitchen. I've never had oil-free food taste so delicious.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:08 pm 

Niev wrote:
I've been doing Eat to Live for the past week, but not yesterday because it was my birthday (or today to finish up the leftovers). Really, I don't like the recipes in the book but FFV Kitchen is the best and so is Healthy Girl's Kitchen. I've never had oil-free food taste so delicious.

Could you share the link? I don't think I've heard of that site.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:05 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

vgnwitch wrote:
Niev wrote:

Could you share the link? I don't think I've heard of that site.

http://healthygirlskitchen.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:27 pm 

Thank you very much! :-)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:16 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Thanks for the link! I've never been there before either.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:41 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Thanks so much for that link. I think what Im going to do is make eat to live 'approved' recipes and then gradually build up to the raw veggie quota. I could easily eat a pound of roasted veggies, no problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:57 am 
Seagull of the PPK

So, hi, I am still doing E2L. Doing really well. I have made some serious changes, and have gotten over the "carb hump" when I was dying for bread, pasta, etc. I've now passed the point where I can't have it in the house, I just don't want it now.
Except for beer, which is a whole different problem. I am still insomniac (despite running every day, which helps but not 100%) so now I am experimenting with iced chamomile and passionfruit tea, we'll see if i can get away from drinking beer at night just to be able to fall asleep.

Anyway, I found a great site. So far I've found the "official" food to be pretty boring, to be honest, but this promises to kick it in the asparagus.
http://www.holycowvegan.net/2011/12/tom ... -free.html
I like Fat Free Vegan but wanted something a bit zingier, and it seems that this site will work quite well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:10 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I've been doing this since spring 2011 and doing quite well. I am a sweet-a-holic and bread-a-holic. I still eat bread for breakfast Sat and Sun but otherwise fruits and cooked grains or oatmeal. Have you tried the ETL salad dressings? I find them really wonderfull and have gotten to love a huge salad for dinner. If I don't have one I miss it. I really agree with Dr. F, after eating this plan for a while I love the "fresh" taste of real food and have less of an appetite of oily, creamy foods.
Now I'm a rapini-a-holic. I eat about 4 bunches a week, and that's on top of all the other veggies and greens.
Have you tried the Austrian cauliflower soup or whatever it is called? It's really really good.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:33 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

The Black Forest Creamy Mushroom soup is to die for! Make it! It's worth juicing all those carrots for.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:22 pm 

okay so I did 10 1/2 days of raw (except for one coffee a day) and then i flaked for tacos, and the next day was my birthday so i had leftover taco stuff on my bday and then i made cupcakes (gf) and ate 3 and then i ate 3 this morning, and now i don't feel like going back to raw (even though my migraines were gone for the last 8 days of rawness) so maybe ETL. the trick is good salad dressings without oil...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:58 pm 

urgh! so breakfast was a yummy smoothie and snack was an apple and lunch was salad (i started w/ one of the vinagerette dressings from the book but it stunk so I made the green goddess dressing from AFR w/o the salt and so that was better). afternoon snack was carrots and then for dinner i made the lentils and rice and caramelized onions from v'con and it sucks without any salt so i added a little. of course dinner for the husband and kid is PIZZA but i took a tiny bite of crust. sigh.

anyone have E2L success while still using salt?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:29 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i have stopped eating and stopped living.

rather, i have stopped eat to living. i found it was making me nuts. i am a salt a holic and i refuse to believe that it's going to kill me. i cut out gluten and every frigging other thing and i still have IBSd. So, well, F that.
on the other hand, it has got me religiously having my flax seeds every day, so there's that at least.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:08 am 

oh yeah i already quit. blargh. i don't use much salt but some things just NEED it. like lentils and rice.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:21 am 

actually, upon thinking about it, i'd rather be raw than e2l.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next