| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bad food, good intentions..
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:38 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Have you guys ever been fed vegan food by well-intentioned die-hard meat eaters that was bad, but in a kind of funny way?

I can't post this anywhere else because I don't want to hurt their feelings, but I know they will never look here...

My aunt and uncle came to visit last year. My husband and toddler and I all got the flu at once (it was BAD and my toddler and I spent most of the next 2 days in bed, not to mention I was pregnant and dying of morning sickness) and my dear aunt, who cleaned my whole kitchen and did the dishes every day no matter how hard I tried to stop her, made dinner the day we first got hit with the flu. She meant well, but she cooked marrow (the squash that's kind of like a big bland zucchini) and onion wraps and made plain pasta. Everything was greasy and seasoned with just salt and pepper. (I only had a small bowl of the plain pasta because I was dying of the plague.)

In retrospect, this kind of cracks me up because she was trying SO HARD to make a nice vegan meal for 3 sick people and her die-hard meat-eating picky-eater husband (who is a nice guy, don't get me wrong) and what she came up with -- plain pasta and a bland veggie wrap -- is probably a top vegan food stereotype (right below salad).

I should add, she is a fabulous cook (she just really doesn't have a vegan repertoire -- actually, I'm sure she knows a few vegan recipes and just doesn't realise they're vegan) and really liked the food I made when they were here -- she even asked me to make my pinto beans again, so I could show her what seasonings I used.

Has anything like this happened to you guys? What did you get served?

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Bad food, good intentions..
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:40 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

That is sad/funny. Sounds like something my mom would have made when we were growing up (except with some kind of meat too).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:47 pm 
Chard Martyr

It reminds me of when my cousin's bat mitzvah a few years ago. There was a luncheon where everyone was having lasagna. her mom went out of her way to make us a vegan lasagna. the only vegans were me and my sister and it was so so so sweet of her, but she must have used 4 packages of a mixture of cheddar and mozzeralla follow your heart layered between noodles and sauce. it was cut in kind of big chunks so it didnt melt.... my sister hates vegan cheese, but we each took huge portions of it because it was giant lasagna and i had to eat my sisters because she couldn't handle it. i like vegan cheese and can eat a lot of it, but it was wayyyy too much and i ate so much of it! it was so nice of her to think of us and she was so super accommodating it made me tear up, but man was that lasagna not great!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:55 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I used to really love having tofu and red bell peppers on a kabob, I'd marinate them in Italian vinaigrette and then bake them in the oven, it was the first thing I made that involved tofu that was edible! Anyway, a friend of mine tried to replicate this, only she wasn't aware of my intense hatred for yellow bell pepper, and that's what she used, she also used raw yellow onion and soft tofu. Instead of marinating it in an oil or vinaigrette, she soaked it in artificial beef flavoring. It was so greasy and nasty I took a few bites then threw up.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:11 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My partner's mom is so accommodating whenever we go over to her house for Thanksgiving, but she always makes some sort of brown rice pilaf dish and steamed asparagus. I like brown rice just fine, but when it's Thanksgiving, I want to eat the same special, junky food that everyone else is eating.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:55 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Once a "friend" of mine made me a birthday dinner. She knew I was vegan. She made chicken soup. She said to me "Oh, I left the chicken pieces big so you can pick them out."

What. the. fork.

I honestly don't even know if her intentions were good. I don't know what the hell she intended.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:12 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

One of my dear friends is hopeless with baking. We went to her place for dinner one night and she was making a chocolate cake for us. I watched with trepidation as she made a cake from a cookbook. She has a heavy hand with everything, so the cake was over mixed, I don't know if she measured correctly as the batter was super thick, and she plopped it into an old non-stick pan that had no non-stick left...this wasn't looking good. Well, it wasn't! We plopped big scoops of soy ice cream on top to make it palatable. What a laugh, we all knew it was gross but ate it with anyway. We love her!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:28 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Wow, that sounds pretty bad! Even worse than the GVP.

My grandmother got me spices for Christmas after I went vegan since I was "eating so much bland food, now." Gobi manchurian, anyone? Coconut curry? Sriracha? Forkin' salsa for crying out loud! Are these bland things? Pretty good spices though.
marmoset wrote:
Once a "friend" of mine made me a birthday dinner. She knew I was vegan. She made chicken soup. She said to me "Oh, I left the chicken pieces big so you can pick them out."

Wow, that's pretty terrible. Are you sure it was an accident as she wasn't just being mean?

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]