| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Denver?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:01 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

You can also find Beet Box at Pablo's on 6th (though that's not really downtown), but I definitely prefer Watercourse/City O's baked goods.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:22 pm 
Tofu Pup

elouise wrote:
You can also find Beet Box at Pablo's on 6th (though that's not really downtown), but I definitely prefer Watercourse/City O's baked goods.

Thanks everyone for the tips and links...I appreciate it! Am in Denver now and last night loved dinner at City O' City--great food and a cool space (and nice people). I'm looking forward to exploring the next few days, too. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:58 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thanks to the generosity of abbierae opening her home to us, pandacookie and I will be all up in Denver's junk for Thanksgiving! Wheee! I haven't spent time in Denver since college. How should we entertain ourselves?

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:12 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

How long will you be here?! My parents are in town until Saturday morning but I can help entertain you after that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:50 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We get these Thurs afternoon and we leave Sunday early afternoon.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:55 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Excellent. I get off of work at 2pm on Saturday, so we should probably get wings or ice cream or something.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:24 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Denver!! I have never been. I am bringing vegan candy corn for anyone who entertains us.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:31 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Can anyone with Denver knowledge help me out?
My sister in law is just going home today after serious heart surgery. She has 2 school age kids and a husband, and the whole family is as good as vegan, but quite new to it, and she herself has problems with soy. I would love to be able to send her a useful treat, not books or anything, reading her husbands e-mails the hardest part is keeping the family fed.
I was wondering if there were any places that had gift vouchers that i might buy online? Or other than that I would be delighted to pay a PPKer through Paypal if they could take deliver something, or arrange delivery of something either bought or home made; they are in Littleton. I would pay for the cost of the goods and your time. Please PM me or let me know in this thread if anyone has any ideas.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:35 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Panda- I will entertain for candy corn. I will anyway, but the candy corn is a nice incentive.

Efcliz- I would be totally willing to help you out! Are you thinking restaurant (City O or Watercourse is always a good option) or something more like a gift basket of tasty foods?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:08 am 

Luckyklutz - Thanks!! I'm not too sure. I think either a voucher to someplace Dad could take the 2 children out of the way so Mum can get some peace but take her some food back. Or a delivery, really whatever is easiest to arrange and is doable!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:49 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Well, City O and Watercourse have gift cards that are valid at both restaurants and could easily be mailed.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:38 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Denver folks! There is a place on 7th & Santa Fe that has 3 kinds of vegan tamales, falafel taquitos (which are amaizing) AND free vegan menudo on Sunday. It's in the back of a little clothing shop (called los muertos,I think) & there is a sign outside that says Atomic Tamales. The food is all vegetarian, super tasty & cheap, and the people are really nice. And it's right in my 'hood, so I want them to be massively successful so when we get a big snow I can walk over there for a fatty, delicious snack.

Just so's you know!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:32 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Dude, Atomic Tamales is so good. They sell out all the time, so I don't think they're going anywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:38 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Do people have suggestions for fun things to do this coming weekend? Friday and Saturday? I would like to go for a hike or nice walk at some point.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:58 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Well, I'm taking my parents to the Museum of Nature and Science, which is in City Park. I run in City Park and it's great because it has lakes and whatnot. Museum of Nature and Science is also open on Thanksgiving, if you want something to do pre-meal. OR you could do the Turkey Trot with me in Wash Park! It's four miles and a bunch of us are meeting at 9am.

ETA: I'm with my parents all day Friday and work until two on Saturday, but anytime after two on Saturday, both myself and my car are available.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:16 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I've been emailing with Abbierae and Invictus. We'll definitely see you at some point on Saturday. I won't be in Denver until Thurs afternoon, so no Turkey trottin' for me. Thank you for the park suggestion! I do want to get out for a run while there. I think I've found a few museums and such that I want to check out and we may make a run to Boulder on Friday.

eta-I forgot until after I posted this that I should check out Vegan Coloradical for suggestions.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:27 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

We should get a cheese platter and wings on Saturday.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:44 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yes!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:24 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Awesome! I get off work around 2- I can text/call when I'm done and we can either meet at Watercourse or I can pick you up. I can then be your driving bisque for the rest of the day, if you would like.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:14 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

So, I finally made it to City O' City. And may I just say that the Seitan Wings are AMAZING? Wow. I brought about half of them home, and they became part of a delicious salad for my dinner. SO worth the hour drive.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:44 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Question I'm curious about. What does everyone think of the post-remodeled City o'City?

I've only been there once since it reopened, and when we went, it just seemed..off. Part of it was it was right after they re-opened, and everything about the place seemed to be in chaos. I haven't been back since then, although I've been meaning to.(I'm all the way out in Boulder, I don't make it into the city as often as I would like.) How has everyone else felt about menu changes, the new design, etc?

I sort of admired what the owner was trying to do with the place. I read interviews in which he said he was trying to create a space that could nationally known for vegan/vegetarian food.

Also of interest, I read an interview with the guy who owns the restaurant Busboys and Poets in Washington D.C. The article mentioned to open a few other B&B's in San Fran Frisco and Denver. While it is not fully vegetarian or vegan, I've been to it and it is definitely a restaurant that is "friendly" toward the culture. The plan is supposedly to hotel in a old hotel in five points associated with jazz culture.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:10 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

leonardo wrote:
Question I'm curious about. What does everyone think of the post-remodeled City o'City?

I've only been there once since it reopened, and when we went, it just seemed..off. Part of it was it was right after they re-opened, and everything about the place seemed to be in chaos. I haven't been back since then, although I've been meaning to.(I'm all the way out in Boulder, I don't make it into the city as often as I would like.) How has everyone else felt about menu changes, the new design, etc?

I sort of admired what the owner was trying to do with the place. I read interviews in which he said he was trying to create a space that could nationally known for vegan/vegetarian food.

Also of interest, I read an interview with the guy who owns the restaurant Busboys and Poets in Washington D.C. The article mentioned to open a few other B&B's in San Fran Frisco Frisco and Denver. While it is not fully vegetarian or vegan, I've been to it and it is definitely a restaurant that is "friendly" toward the culture. The plan is supposedly to hotel in a old hotel in five points associated with jazz culture.

I appreciate what they're trying to do with new City O, but as time goes by I really miss old City O. It's weird, because I would be impressed by it and probably really like it if it was a brand new place, but I have a hard time not being distracted by how much I miss about the old place.

For the most part I don't like the menu changes- they got rid of everything I love and made most of the new items more expensive. I like that they added breakfast (the basic breakfast is cheap and delicious), but other than that, even the new items I like have been really inconsistent. I like that they added a coffee bar that is great to work at, with kombucha on tap and comfy stools, but I miss the cozy, grungy, dimly lit atmosphere and amazing bar food of the old place.

They did the same thing with Watercourse several years ago and it turned out great- it went from being a pretty okay veg hangout to being what I feel like is one of the best vegetarian restaurants in the country. And City O and Watercourse have done such great things for vegetarianism in this city, and are so community-oriented (they've been sourcing locally and composting since before it was cool, and host fundraisers for community groups several times a month), that while I am bummed about the loss, I feel like it wouldn't be fair to be too critical.

In summary, I wish they would have have kept City O the way it was and opened new City O as a whole new restaurant. But I will still go there and tell other people to go there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:11 am 

Hey Denver! My parents are moving to Ft Collins and I will be visiting them out there at the end of the month. Any suggestions for local eats in Ft Collins and in Boulder?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:27 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Fort Collins restaurants: http://www.vegancoloradical.com/eat-fort-collins/
Boulder restaurants: http://www.vegancoloradical.com/eat-boulder/

Tasty Harmony in Fort Collins is so, so good. And I really love Leaf in Boulder. They are both veg.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:28 pm 

Thanks, abbierae! I'm really looking forward to visiting :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next