| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: A Peek at Vedge Restaurant.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:11 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Soft opening is tonight, they open at 6. I just managed to get reservations. I am very excited!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:54 pm 
Saggy Butt

i'm going tonight at 8! it's byob until they get their liquor license!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:49 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Please report back, ladies! This is so very exciting! Finally!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:18 pm 
Hip Goiter

I can't wait to hear your reviews!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:30 pm 
Saggy Butt

Becka I posted pictures on facebook! I'll post mini reviews to go with them when I have a chance to sit at a computer for more than 2 minutes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:33 pm 
Hip Goiter

Where are the reviews! I've been checking this thread all day!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:37 pm 
Saggy Butt

I don't have a computer, sorry! If I have down time at work tomorrow I'll post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:28 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

My dining companion and I had a great time. The new space is wonderful. There were steps though, so not sure how accessible it is. I do recall somebody saying they have a back entry way in a previous thread.

There was free wine and beer which ruled if I could drink more than one glass.
We started off with the lupini beans with a piri piri sauce and fried garlic. These little beanies were really fun to eat because you had to twist the skin off and it took a little while to get the hang of. I shot one of the beans up in the air while the waitresses were watching, it was a little funny. The little pieces of fried garlic were heaven.
We also got the dirt plate which was maitaake mushrooms with a paprika crema - one of my favorite dishes..simple and delicious.

The server recommended we get 3 plates each to make a full meal...I think this is ridiculous because then you are spending like $30 for an entree-sized portion when at Horizon's you got a full meal at $20 (I see what you did there, Vedge). Well, my dining companion and I got 4 plates to split between us and it was more than enough. We got the following:
Tofu bahn mi crostini - loved the lemongrass tofu on this, loved the veggies on this, especially the daikon. Eat this fast though because the crostini gets soggy.
Steak spiced seared tofu with kuri squash and chanterelles in madeira - VERY tasty, very flavorful sauce. I wanted a little more squash bites though.
Portabella carpaccia with salsa rustica and arugala creme - this was my least favorite of the dishes..I wasn't digging the salsa with the portabella slices
Wood grilled maitake, celery root, leek ash, truffle, trumpet "noodles" - This was one of my favorites...the trumpet noodles are covered in this wonderful creamy sauce and then you get bites of celery root mixed in with the noodles and the maitake mushrooms were grilled perfectly.

For desert, we ordered 2 things but accidently got brought a third item and we were not complaining.
STICKY TOFFEE BREAD PUDDING, Y'ALL WITH SALTED CARAMEL AND PUMPKIN ICECREAM. GET THIS! Seriously, get this! All caps because it forking rules. This was my idea of decadent, nice and warm slice of bread pudding with the most wonderful sweet-salty caramel sauce on the bottom and a scoop of pumpkin icecream melting on top of the pudding cake jawn. SO GOOD.
Choco taco - hazelnut shell (it has a fancy cookie word that I am too lazy to google) with burnt wood icecream (that actually tastes like burnt wood) with a little bit of chocolate ganache, charred pineapple and coconut whipped cream on top. This is not for everybody. It was very complex and each component of the taco tasted wonderfully together in one bite..individually, I have got to admit, the burnt wood icecream kinda through me for a loop...weird but still pretty good.
Cheesecake with figs and "honeysmacks" - The "honeysmacks" tasted like honeysmacks!! The cheesecake was nice and creamy and delicious...great paring with the figs.

If you are trying to do this minimally without breaking the bank too much, for two people, you could get away with 1 small plate, 1 dirt plate, 3 "entree" plates and 1 or 2 deserts.

All that food (and wine) and the bill came to $90, with tip we each payed $55. NOT BAD! But not everyday either.

There you go, Randi! See you when you get back to the states, we muuuusst go!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:07 pm 
Saggy Butt

I had the same desserts & I totally agree with your review. They were perfect. The steak spice tofu I thought was a little salty but I agree that the sauce was great. I have mixed feelings on the banh mi crostini. I liked the tofu but the daikon & carrot slaw was a little too creamy & cole slaw-y for my liking. We also got the farm board which I loved--the white beet puree was pretty tasty & the smoked caponata was wonderful. We also got a soup (I forget which one. Not the pho, but the other one), the seared seitan (perfect), an eggplant thing (not a rollatini but close to it, presentation-wise). I'm sorry I'm not more verbose about this but I don't have the menu in front me & I don't have a computer to look it up

For appetizers we got the mixed pickles which were amazing--carrots, daikon, parsnip, mushrooms & cauliflower served with rye points & smoked mustard (holy crepe this mustard was amazing) & crispy cauiliflower. That was pretty awesome

Overall I liked the appetizers & desserts better than the small plates. I agree that 2 plates per person is perfect. I went with two people and each of us got two things . Definitely recommend going with at least two people so you can try a lot!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:21 pm 
Hip Goiter

Thanks so much for posting all of that, you two! I can't wait to go.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:57 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Was looking at the website and they mention they are wheelchair accessible.
"Wheelchair Access
Vedge is accessible. Please use the rear entrance at St. James & Camac. Take the elevator to Floor 1."
http://vedgerestaurant.com/faq

I hope I can get there in the next few weeks!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:34 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

When I grow up, I'm going to eat here all the time.

Does anyone else feel it's not quite as cozy as Horizons? It has a more refined feel to the space, and it's more of typical Center City upscale restaurant, for better and worse. The food was amazing though, no doubt. We had:

Brussels Sprouts shaved and grilled, smoked mustard
Banh Mi Crostini lemongrass tofu, daikon, cilantro, creamy sriracha

followed by
Grilled Gochujang Tofu smoked miso dashi, edamame puree, yuba crackling
Grilled Seitan black lentils & mushrooms, creamy horseradish, kohlrabi.

Between two people (one of them being me, and I can really put it away) this was a good size for a meal. We split some ice cream (smoked vanilla bean, pistachio, and something else I don't recall; all delish) and a glass of wine and a beer: $90 after tip. Not too bad for a special night out, but also about 2 weeks of groceries.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:47 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Finally got to go last night. The two of us got:

Crispy Cauliflower appetizer. This was good.

Brussels Sprouts from the Dirt List. This was also good.

Farm Board. Both spreads were delicious, but I was partial to the white beet one. I'd maybe get this again.

Steak Spice Tofu. This was very yummy. Kind of salty, but the tofu was seared to perfection and the squash and mushroom bits were very flavorful. I'd get this again.

Seitan.

Portobello Carpaccio.

Choco Taco.

Sticky Toffee Bread Pudding with Pumpkin Ice cream. Dude, this tasted like pancakes. Delicious, warm, gooey pancakes.

The bill for all of this was $88+tip. Kind of a lot, but that was a lot of food, too. I'd recommend a minimum of 2 small plates per person. If you're really hungry, you'll need a third small plate or several appetizers/selections from the Dirt List. I'm going to try to convince a few friends to go next time so we can get lots of things!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:16 pm 
Saggy Butt

buttercup wrote:
I'm going to try to convince a few friends to go next time so we can get lots of things!
count me in!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:53 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

You guys. I highly recommend their happy hour. Fun small plates for cheap, and strong half-priced cocktails for those who drink. Definitely the best way to do Vedge on a budget.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:49 pm 
Hip Goiter

buttercup wrote:
You guys. I highly recommend their happy hour. Fun small plates for cheap, and strong half-priced cocktails for those who drink. Definitely the best way to do Vedge on a budget.

Is that every weeknight?

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:34 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

RandiJM wrote:
buttercup wrote:

Is that every weeknight?

Yes! M-F from 5-7. They even include the happy hour menu on their website and update it weekly.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:05 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

The sticky toffee pudding is back. I had to go as soon as I found out. Oh my goodness. It is served warm, with a scoop of pumpkin ice cream, and it is my favorite dessert ever. The new autumn squash pierogies are also insanely good.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:44 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i wish i would have read this thread before going. we finally made it there for my birthday (but 11 days afterward, because the 7:00 tables for 4 were all reserved up until then) good to know there's walk-in tables available. i wonder why they don't have that on the website. or maybe they do, and i missed it.

the "3-4 plates per person" thing is totally misleading!! and dishonest too. we ordered 3 per person, and were stuffing ourselves, and we still brought home leftovers. we all split one eensy-weensy cheesecake at the end, and that was good, because we'd burst otherwise.

the saffron cauliflower soup and funky kimchee stew were both super tasty. i've never had kimchee before. spicy spicy!
the fingerling fries were amazing!!! creamy on the inside, but perfectly crispy on the outside.
the carrot shawarma was also misleading (you'd expect it to be shaved thin, right?) it was 1-inch chunks of carrot that were grilled. meh.
the seitan was super tasty. tender, grilled, sauced just right.
they must have 50 smokers running back there. mostly everything was smoky delicious.

but still, i'd have preferred to have ordered only 2 dishes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:46 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ok wow, I just realized that I never wrote about my experience here when I went last year!

I went with two other people, a PPKer and a personal friend of mine. We had to sit at the bar because when I tried to make a reservation two weeks ahead of time they were booked already and when we got there they were full up. But it was still nice. The atmosphere is pleasant and sitting was still inviting.

I think we each got a small plate, a main course, and a dessert. Then we kind of tasted each others food but pretty much ate what we ordered for ourselves. It was plenty of food though. I wasn't stuffed but I left full. The cocktails were excellent as well!

The only thing I will say is that it was way to pricey to ever go again. I'm glad I went once, but I don't think I'll ever be able to afford to go again. I actually thought about taking my husband for Valentines Day this year but decided that my money would be better spent on something other than fancy pants food.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:13 pm 

yeah, good thing my dad was paying. yikers. if we ever go again, i would only order one plate, and maybe split a veggie or soup.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:17 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I sure wish I could get full on one or two plates of food from Vedge!

I think my favorite Vedge meal ever was: salt roasted gold beets (always a fave), braciole (good but not worth the price), autumn squash pierogies (amazing! hope they come back next year), and sticky toffee pudding for dessert. All for me.

Last time I went, I got the salt roasted gold beets, fingerling fries, brussels sprouts (so good!), and ice cream. I was still hungry, but too cheap to order anything else. :(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:20 am 

i think it might have been because we ordered the soups. (they were full sized meals!) my dad's cous cous was a pretty big plate, and my mom is tiny. :-)