| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Yum Yum
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:59 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

The kale-sun-dried-tomato hummus from the blog is so freakin' good. I added extra tomatoes, a pinch more salt and a little lemon juice for a little more oomph. Yums. It was best by day three, fo' sho'.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:46 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the donuts several times and they turned out well. I used a donut pan.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:49 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

hmm, perhaps I should invest in a donut pan!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:55 pm 
Tofu Pup

MelanieC wrote:
I still think everyone needs to try the broccoli mushroom bake. This is seriously my favorite recipe of all time. This casserole is so creamy and yummy.

YES! SO GOOD! Given to me as a gift, I was excited to have a cookbook with pics for each recipe, so in I dove.

Creamy Mushroom Broccoli Bake: amazing, stupendous, the best. I've substituted quinoa, millet and couscous for orzo - equally amazing.
Red & White Cauliflower bake: would stir everything together instead of having layers; didn't care for the separation of flavors
Dal Makhni: yes please! Favority simple go-to lentil dish
Delicata Squash stuffed .... : cherries are pretty pungent so I might cut back a little next time
Tahini Lemon Rice & Beans: another delish one, lots of sauce for my palette though
Chana Samosas: ended up with too much dough... hmm...
Blueberry Grunts: not 100% on consistency of dough, raw & cookied; (I live at 8150ft so maybe this has something to do with it)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:34 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I made the "Country Fried Seitan" with my leftover "Chicken Style Seitan Roast" from Vegan Diner. It was so effing good! I only had half a roast and lots of dry/wet mix leftover so I fried up some tofu too. Of course mac and cheese made an apperance.

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:12 pm 
Tofu Pup

made the mushroom bake at a carnivorous household for pre-turkey day. raving success!
"can i have the recipe?"
"really? no meat?"
"i want some more."

vegan: 1
bacon lovers: 0

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:10 am 
Inflexitarian

Man, I don't know what I did wrong with my broccoli mushroom bake, but it was nauseatingly bad!

Stuff I love:
Dal Makhni
Aloo Matar
Mac & Cheeze (it's not my fav mac & cheeze recipe, but it's very yummy and sooo quick and easy)
Marmalade Tofu (double sauce)
Sweet Chili Lime Tofu (double sauce)
Black Bean Seitan Corn Burgers (my fav homemade veggie burgers... great taste and texture)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:26 pm 
Tofu Pup

i love the dal makhni! isn't it great?

now... hmm... not a good bake, eh? you follow as is or fudge anything along the way? i like to fold the breadcrumbs into the actual bake and not just sprinkling on top. i also add more paprika. but that's about it. ....hmm....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:55 pm 
Inflexitarian

I follow recipes to the letter (I'm compulsive like that), though it's possible I made a mistake. The mixture actually tasted okay before I cooked it, but just awful when it was done. My husband wasn't a big fan either.

::shrugs:: I either messed it up or it just wasn't to our tastes! C'est la vie.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:41 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Does anyone know what happened to Lauren Ulm? It's like she fell off the edge of the earth.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:53 pm 
Tofu Pup

sad isn't it? i mean her book and blog were/are so great. is she eating meat now? :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:53 pm 

My partner's mum absolutely *loves* this book (I think it's the step by step, simplicity, and colours), though I haven't loved anything I've made from it so far, though It's all been OK. The "hurry up alfredo" was strange, and I'm not sure how to best describe it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:15 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

stitchitter wrote:
sad isn't it? i mean her book and blog were/are so great. is she eating meat now? :-)

I doubt it. Facebook creepery tells me that she works as a vet tech and volunteers at a cat rescue.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:48 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

One more mention for the smokey miso tofu. Yeah, it's totally yum. Made it for dinner... mmmmmmmmm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:20 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

mrsbadmouth wrote:
stitchitter wrote:

I doubt it. Facebook creepery tells me that she works as a vet tech and volunteers at a cat rescue.

I love Facebook creepery. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Also, I HATED the Hurry-up Alfredo. It turned out a different color than the blog/book and was totally inedible. It was the first recipe I ever made with nooch, and now I'm afraid to try it again.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:08 am 
So Totally Yiffy

weird how people either love or hate the hurry up alfredo. the hubs and i loved, i left out the nutmeg though, was worried that would ruin in for me. it's so easy and simple and perfect for weeknights. the pancake and smokey miso tofu recipes were good too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:34 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

The Sweet Chili Lime Tofu is one of my favourite tofu recipes ever. It's on her blog as well if someone wants to try it. I haven't tried the Smokey Miso Tofu yet, but I'm intrigued!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:08 pm 
Inflexitarian

I love the sweet chili lime tofu! Although I double the sauce. I seem to like my tofu/greens/grain combo a lot saucier than she does.

I mentioned some of my loves upthread, but here's what we love now:

7-Spice Udon (It's such a simple, quick recipe, but it's soooo tasty. I make an even quicker version for lunch by cutting the recipe into 1/3 and using precooked udon. Num!)
Tomato basil cream pasta
Italian rice and beans (Again, so quick and easy but great flavor.)

And having just made some tragically mushy burgers from Vegan Table, I must once again reiterate my love for the black bean seitan corn burgers. Homemade vegan burgers with a good texture? Who knew?!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:16 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Has anyone made the lemon cranberry muffins? I made them today (blogged about it) and even though I used a different flour, the batter was really quite runny. I don't think my change of flour would have changed the consistency (it was supposed to be all purpose/plain flour but I used mostly oat flour). I also didn't drain the cranberries enough but still, there wasn't that much excess liquid and I put in more flour to compensate. The muffins turned out really soft and delicate and are fine to eat but I'm curious to see if anyone ran in to any problems with this recipe.

Must admit the cover is a little uninspiring, but maybe that's because I'm really over food that has been stacked because I know my efforts will just kinda plop everywhere.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:45 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Changing the flour would change the consistency of the batter. If you are going to change from AP flour to something else, you might have to experiment with different blends/flours to get the right mix.
Have you made the recipe as written?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:02 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Hi, I cut down the oil a bit and added grated (and water-squeezed-out) zucchini. The other liquid and dry ingredients were in the amounts the recipe asked for. But when I've substituted oat flour for plain flour (I think that's called all purpose flour in the US?) in other recipes for muffins and cakes, the consistency has never changed. Same with the zucchini added in and oil being reduced.

I don't want to be one of those annoying people who complains about recipes not turning out and then they rattle off what they did and you see their recipe was totally different from what they should have done, so it's their fault. But the changes I made are what I make in other similar recipes and I've never had such a difference in batter.

I'm putting it down to me, I could easily have been distracted with the kids needing and running around my feet!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:36 pm 

I would definitely envisage that 1) cutting down oil, 2) adding grated zucchini, 3) replacing plain flour with oat flour and 4) not draining cranberries/other ingredients thoroughly would change/fail a recipe/batter.

Perhaps you've just been lucky other times.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:37 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I love the sweet chilli lime tofu and the italian rice and beans and the pineapple baked tofu is one of the my fave meals ever! I used to love the hurry up alfredo but ate it so often that I can't make it anymore.

I love that most of the mains are tofu/beans, grains and greens, thats how I love to eat. I'm going to try the tahini lemon rice and beans this week.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:26 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I disliked the tahini lemon rice, I should have known better though I never seem to loke tahini recipes that I make at home.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:46 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

So far I've only made pasta recipes from this book. I've made the sweet potato/pasta bake countless times, it's so good. The mac and cheese is one of my top three favorite mac and cheese recipes and the alfredo is my absolute favorite alfredo recipe. The creamy tomato basil pasta is very nice as well. I didn't care for the broccoli/mushroom bake, but I think I did something wrong with that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next