| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Feeding vegan kids
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:17 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Yeah, I am going to order that vitamin powder today. Thanks for the reminder. And I think I will try soy formula at meals, just because it would make me feel better. I am thinking of it as a nutritious beverage and not a substitute for breast milk. So far he's had rice milk and almond milk and while he was a little bit puzzled, he drank a bit of both. He is a good sport.

Also, this kid would eat a loaf of bread by himself if I let him. LOVES BREAD.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:28 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Haha Kai is like Walter. We gave him dark russian bread on thanksgiving and wow, did he ever love it! I can't believe how much he ate.

In fact, I can't believe how much he eats in general. I thought babies are supposed to eat baby-sized portions, but he eats more like adult sized portions. Like he will eat almost 2 whole adult sized muffins for lunch, or an entire cutlet of seitan + veggies for dinner. When we gave him the bread on Friday he had 2 slices spread with hummus + 3/4 of a banana. It seems like so much for such a tiny body!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:42 pm 
Nooch of Earl

If you're not already, you might try giving Kai the iron with some OJ to increase its absorption.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:22 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I gave Kai butternut squash ravioli the other day (rising moon brand). Whoa, those were a hit! He had 6 for lunch (an adult serving = 9).

This seems like a great recipe to replicate it, I just have to find the time to do it.

Quote:
Infant finger food recipes - Butternut Squash Ravioli (age 6 months+)

Soft and 'squidgy', this ravioli makes the perfect gummable finger food for tiny diners! You can, of course, substitute the butternut squash filling for another of your baby's favourite veggies - but we think this recipe looks great and tastes yummy just as it is!

2 oz (1/2 cup) flour (unbleached)
2 oz (1/2 cup) semolina flour
2-3 fl oz (1/3 cup) very warm water
1 tbsp olive oil
around 6 oz (3/4 cup) butternut squash, peeled, cooked and mashed
pinch of sweet paprika (optional)

Mix the flours together, then slowly add the oil and water, mixing well (this is easiest to achieve with a food processor set at the lowest speed).
The mixture should become a ball of dough - if it seems too dry, add a teaspoon of water at a time until a ball is formed.
Knead the dough thoroughly, then divide into two pieces.
Roll out each piece VERY thinly.
Stir the paprika into the butternut squash.

EITHER

Take heaped teaspoons of the butternut squash and place at intervals along 1 sheet of pasta.
Place the other sheet of pasta over the top and press down around the 'mounds' of butternut squash.
Next, cut around the butternut squash mounds with a very sharp knife.
Create a decorative edge for your ravioli by pressing all the way around the edge with the wet prongs of a fork.

OR

Splash out on some ravioli moulds.

They are inexpensive and make it much easier to create perfect ravioli shapes!

NEXT...

Bring a large pan of water to the boil, then carefully slide in your ravioli shapes (we find it best to cook just three or four at a time).
When the shapes rise to the surface of the water, they are ready. Carefully remove them with a slotted spoon.
Serve as they are - with a fresh tomato sauce for babies already enjoying tomatoes - or even with a sauce of another veggie puree thinned with a little stock!
Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly

Read more: http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.c ... z1gG8I6ayk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:17 am 
And you never will.

ooooh, thanks for the recipe! That looks like something we would enjoy!

I've discovered that poopiebaby LOVES sushi. I make sushi pretty regularly, and just make a tiny roll for him and cut it thinly - they are the perfect little bite-sized pieces and he'll eat almost anything if it's in a sushi roll!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:20 am 
Level 7 Vegan

We are in a "I will eat anything as long as it is on toast" phase.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:26 am 
And you never will.

Haha! We are in a "I will only eat toast if it is off of daddy's plate" phase.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:47 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

poopiebitch wrote:
ooooh, thanks for the recipe! That looks like something we would enjoy!

I've discovered that poopiebaby LOVES sushi. I make sushi pretty regularly, and just make a tiny roll for him and cut it thinly - they are the perfect little bite-sized pieces and he'll eat almost anything if it's in a sushi roll!

do you find Peter has any trouble with the nori being chewy? because I would LOVE another reason to make sushi since my partner won't eat it, but Dahlia sometimes doesn't like stuff she has to chew a ton.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:01 pm 
And you never will.

He doesn't seem to have a problem with it. I cut them pretty thin (maybe 1/4 inch?), so I guess it's not too much to chew?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:13 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

mittenmacher wrote:
We are in a "I will eat anything as long as it is on toast" phase.

We just got over the "I will eat anything as long as it is toast" phase.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:15 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We have started giving grey solids. Mostly he is eating organic canned food, which I feel mixed about giving him. Earths best, happy bellies and plum organic. He eats some of my food as well. Ideally I will start cooking for him but it hasn't started yet. Any opinions about these brands?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:11 pm 
Tofu Pup

Just wanted to bump this thread up. I have a baby girl who will be 1 year next week so we'll be making the transition from mainly breast milk and food-to-play-with-and-paint-the-walls-with to partial breast milk and food as sustenance. I'd love to get the discussion going again :)

http://veganchickie.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:20 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm still working on convincing my omni husband to let the baby be vegan, or at least vegetarian. In any case, the plan is breast milk for the first bit and veggies/fruit/grains for early foods anyway.

I've been advised to have a can of formula on hand just in case it's needed -- I am kind of emotional at the thought because I am already pretty invested in the idea of breastfeeding, but at the same time I guess it can't hurt to have it around instead of getting whatever is available at 2am if necessary. Do y'all have any recommendations for formula that's not based on cow's milk?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:20 pm 
Tofu Pup

Personally, I didn't have a standby can of just in case formula, and I wouldn't recommend it. Breastfeeding can be tough, but having formula in the house will just make it easier to give up when you're having a late night crisis of self doubt. We had a rocky start to bfing and I think I would have caved if there had been formula in the house, I'm do grateful I didn't!

I know that's not what you asked, so disregard my answer if you want :)

http://veganchickie.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

If you're able to find a formula you like, I'd say go for it. One night, it seemed like BabyBodhi#1 hadn't been getting enough milk the whole day, and he was just crying for hours. I sent out my partner to a 24 hour drugstore to buy formula, because we were at wits' end. At that point, we felt anything was better than nothing, but if you buy in advance, you'll at least have a back up you're more comfortable with. (We only used it two or three times, and I drank mother's milk tea, had more water, etc and the issue resolved itself.)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:13 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

My understanding is that babies have growth spurts every 3 months or so, and that could be why it may seem like the baby can't get enough breastmilk one day. But it is totally normal, and that's when supply-demand kicks in - if you let the baby nurse all they want, eventually you'll produce more milk to satisfy them.

I don't know of any totally vegan formula - even soy brands have animal-derived vitamins, I think maybe it is D but I can't remember. Not that I am totally against formula, I actually had to give my son lots of it because of low supply. So if it makes you feel better, go for it. But I don't exactly think having a can on hand is necessary.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:34 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm going to repost my list here if it helps anyone, since the OP never came back in that other thread. We also gave him something new the other day - pinto bean loaf. He loved it the first day, then threw the leftovers on the floor to our dog yesterday, so go figure.

So these are Kai's favorite (soy free) foods at 15 months. Except for oatmeal, I cut everything into small cubes so he can pick it up himself:
-every morning he has a bowl of organic, iron fortified oatmeal with a squeeze pouch of fruit mixed in
-avocados or bananas cut into cubes (he didn't like avocado mashed, but loves it in cubes)
-peas
-colby or swizz from the uncheese cookbook (in cubes, he looooves this)
-gee whiz bean spread from the uncheese cookbook mixed on ditalini pasta w/ some olive oil (like mac n cheeze)
-broccoli trees, sometimes plain or sprinkled with a bit of lemon juice or gee whiz spread
-baby carrots, green beans, corn, sometimes cauliflower trees
-bread spread with hummus
-sunshine burgers
-butternut squash ravioli
-seitan, usually baked in bbq sauce or a spice rub then cut in cubes
-rice + lentil dal
-banana walnut protein muffins (w/ quinoa flakes + wheat germ, my recipe which I can post if you'd like)
-happy baby puffs
-quesadillas w/ refried beans + daiya
-oh yeah and how could i forget, blueberries! we should just buy a farm he eats so many. raspberries too.

I think that's about it - we just have these on regular rotation. I'm trying to think of new things but a bit stuck. He also has oat milk + some flax seed oil mixed in for extra fat (he loves it and drinks about 20 oz a day!) Finally, I give him Rainbow light NutriStart Infant Multivitamin powder about every other day, and an iron supplement from his pediatrician since his last blood test showed it was a tiny bit low. (but all other nutrients were ok)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:40 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

littlebear wrote:
We have started giving grey solids. Mostly he is eating organic canned food, which I feel mixed about giving him. Earths best, happy bellies and plum organic. He eats some of my food as well. Ideally I will start cooking for him but it hasn't started yet. Any opinions about these brands?

I gave Kai all of those. At first he didn't like table foods at all so I had to do purees. I stopped giving him the Earth's Best jarred food though, because I read there is still BPA in the lid. Supposedly they didn't find any in the food itself (the jar is glass, it is just in the lid) but I couldn't get it out of my head after reading that. So then I only gave him the pouches. We try to get happy baby or plum organics whenever they are on sale. Babiesrus has them every so often, if you buy a bunch they work out to $1 a pouch.

We still mix a pouch in his oatmeal every morning, but other than that he eats all normal food. So starting him out on purees didn't stop him from eating regular food later. Giving him fruits in the beginning didn't stop him from eating veggies later on either (another thing I had worried about at the time)

I tried making my own for a while, but that phase (of him eating mostly purees) was over so quickly. He never seemed to like my homemade as much as the pouches. Now with it just 1x per day, I can't be bothered making my own to be honest.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:29 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I have the weirdest kid: he loves onions. Celery, too. I made tofu salad sandwiches and he picked out all the scallions and bits of celery, ate them, and left all of the tofu and bread. Then I made chili, and he picked out the onions, ate them, and left the beans. Then yesterday we went out to lunch and instead of eating his sandwich, he gnawed on a raw spinach leaf. This kid will find the part of any meal that has the fewest calories and ONLY EAT THAT.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:32 pm 
Semen Strong

This thread is scaring me. Leela is already starting to look interested at our food, and we are planning on introducing non-breastmilk food in 8 weeks.....

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:36 pm 
And you never will.

Oh yeah, poopiebaby LOVES raw onion. Like, he'll straight up eat a plain chunk of it. And cucumber. Add in white rice and he would exist on nothing else if he could.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:42 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

oh god yes, we went to a Mexican restaurant with Dahlia and she ate nothing but the pico de gallo, she was practically drinking it. It was SO weird to have her smelling like raw onions for hours after.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:50 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

That's funny! Did you all eat lots of onions when you were pregnant?

I just gave Kai a cucumber last night and he spit it right out. Did not like it at all. I think he's had cooked onions here and there, but I doubt he would like raw onions like that. He is not a fan of raw leafy things either.

I think he is definitely hitting a picky stage now. Like I've lost my chance to introduce new things. Yesterday I made almond cheeze (just almonds, oil, lemon and water whizzed) and put it on little bowtie pastas for him for the 1st time. I thought for sure he would like it - I eat it on pasta all the time and love it. But he only ate a bit then just kept saying no no no.

I'm really at a loss for what else to feed him but I'm worried he's getting bored with the same things on rotation.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:19 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Btw, here's a thread I just found with a lot of ideas: http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=28803.0

I also gave Kai apple sage field roast sausages, but he only ate a little. I'm going to try my own with different spices and see if he likes them better.

Another thing I tried was buckwheat noodles with peanut butter sauce, but he didn't like that too much either.

On the bright side my husband just told me he gave Kai an italian tomato soup w/ beans and kale for lunch and he ate a whole bowlful! Wuhoo.

I swear he eats better for his dad and his babysitter.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:14 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Malka ate real food for the first real time last night (she's two weeks shy of 6 months). She had seemed really interested in food a few weeks ago and we let her try to nibble a little banana off our fingers, but her eyes were more interested than her mouth. So last night we tried apple sauce and WOW was she entertained by that. I think she spit out more than she swallowed, but she was really excited about the process of eating. She was particularly thrilled by the little spoon we were using and kept grabbing it and trying to gag herself. At the end of that process she had apple sauce in her hair, behind her ears, all down her front, etc. I am totally fine with food being more entertainment than nourishment for a good long time. I figure that any increase in table food is really a decrease in nutrition as no food can really replace the nutrition of formula (or breast milk if we were BF), so whatever.

We're planning on trying banana again soon and then avocado and sweet potato.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next