| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Never argue with an anarchist.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:25 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

WeeptoWatertheTrees wrote:
This thread bums me out. Too many misconceptions and generalizations. Take "anarchist" out of this topic and insert "vegan" and it takes on full form of an annoying anti-vegan rant.

So I met this one vegan once and that person was a jerk! Well, then.

Anyone who rejects hierarchies and oppression should reject species privilege. If they do not that is really unfortunate, but it is in no way a reflection of anarchist philosophy.

I did state in the original post that I'm sure a lot of anarchists aren't like this. Just every single one I've ever had a conversation with. I haven't met one just this once--it's been enough to form a pattern, so I've just learned not to argue with them anymore, because it has been fruitless for me in the past.

The same can be said for vegans. There are some of us who are perfectly nice, non-judgmental people. But it has to be acknowledged that there are also an awful lot who are self-righteous crassholes, and those are the ones who can't keep their mouths shut and give the rest of us a bad name.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:35 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I am a royalist
I am a monarchist
Want a shiny crown
And a big forking royal gown

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:45 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

fresh_paint wrote:

I did state in the original post that I'm sure a lot of anarchists aren't like this. Just every single one I've ever had a conversation with. I haven't met one just this once--it's been enough to form a pattern, so I've just learned not to argue with them anymore, because it has been fruitless for me in the past.

If you ever have to start a conversation with the disclaimer, "I'm sure not all __________ are like this, but through my personal, anecdotal experience, I'm going to make the sweeping generalization that __________ are dickwads," you probably shouldn't start that conversation.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:37 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

This thread bums me out. Too many misconceptions and generalizations. Take "anarchist" out of this topic and insert "vegan" and it takes on full form of an annoying anti-vegan rant.

Anyone who rejects hierarchies and oppression should reject species privilege. If they do not that is really unfortunate, but it is in no way a reflection of anarchist philosophy.

mel c wrote:
: If you ever have to start a conversation with the disclaimer, "I'm sure not all __________ are like this, but through my personal, anecdotal experience, I'm going to make the sweeping generalization that __________ are dickwads," you probably shouldn't start that conversation.

Thank you.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:32 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

fresh_paint wrote:

The same can be said for vegans. There are some of us who are perfectly nice, non-judgmental people. But it has to be acknowledged that there are also an awful lot who are self-righteous crassholes, and those are the ones who can't keep their mouths shut and give the rest of us a bad name.

Thing is, the person you were talking about isn't actually an anarchist. Just someone appropriating an identity.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:44 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Oh the irony, now fresh_paint is arguing with anarchists!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:25 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

This reminds me of the Eddie Izzard bit about transvestites.

Quote:
Also, if you're a transvestite, you get lumped into that weirdo grouping, you know? When I was in New York, there was a guy in the Bronx who was living in a cave, like you do, and he was coming out and shooting at gooses and… a lot of weird things going on with this guy; and the police picked him up and they found a collection of women's shoes, and they thought, "Maybe he's a transvestite.” And if he is, he's a forking weirdo transvestite! I'm much more in the executive transvestite area. Travel the world, yes, it's much more executive. Like J. Edgar Hoover, what a fiddlehead fern he was! They found out when he died that he was a transvestite, and they go, "Well, that explains his weird behavior!" Yeah, forking weirdo transvestite! <pointing to himself> Executive transvestite.

Sorry if I offended anyone with my sweeping generalizations.

Feel free to come to the conclusion that all fresh_paints are douchebags.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2