| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Drawing!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:16 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm starting to get back into drawing, at least in a purposeful way rather than just doodling and being annoyed at doodles that don't come out any "good". I have a couple of "how to draw" books, both general & cartooning, and I'm going to work my way through them and get some practice.

I bought a new sketchbook and some nice sketching pencils and pens. <3

I did a couple last night that came out well, though they're mostly from the book exercises. I need to practice drawing from life more.

Kitty:

Cartoon dog:

(Ha. The dog is possibly my favorite thing I have drawn in a looooong time.)

I put a bunch of books in my Amazon wishlist to peruse later; can anyone recommend a good book on colored pencil techniques?

I love those delusional first few minutes of the day where I grossly underestimate my love of sleep. -lurky mclurkerson

Post subject: Re: Drawing!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:56 pm 
Like Anal, But Backwards

I really like the cat drawing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:36 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Here is an Amazon link for an amazing book on watercolor technique. My library has it, but it's on sale if you aren't so lucky!
http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Painting-Colored-Pencil-Watersoluble/dp/0823015688/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322112307&sr=8-1

It's always good to keep in mind that most art supplies are going to contain animal products. For instance, this article states that artists' pencils might contain beeswax as a binder. It recommends Derwent, Graphitint, and Aquatone as safe brands:
http://emptyeasel.com/2009/01/29/the-vegans-list-of-art-supplies-art-products-free-of-animal-ingredients/

Go forth and conquer!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:38 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

yay! drawing is awesome. I honestly spend a ridiculous amount of time drawing, for fun, for school, in my notes, because I want to remember how something looked, because I'm bored and on the ppk : http://forum.theppk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15105&hilit=boober+draws+whatever+you+want+her+to+draw (though that last one is silly trackpad doodles, not any purposeful drawing)

my suggestions are to spend as much time drawing from life as possible, seriously, that shiitake is the best possible way to understand how to render. really truly looking at how something looks and drawing it exactly how you see it (as apposed to how it is "supposed" to look) is an super valuable skill. plus, it's fun and relaxing!

colored pencils are kind of a pain in the asparagus, because unless you are confident with them an not afraid to really lay the color down, they can end up making a lovely drawing look less lovely. Practice on scrap paper, just seeing different ways you can control the color, texture, and line weight by how you use the pencil.

mostly have fun! oh, and don't be afraid to "mess up" lines or anything, you can't improve unless you make mistakes and learn how to correct them!

happy drawing!

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:36 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i am trying to get into drawing more and more.. i suck at drawing, because i was never really good at it, so i never pursued it. and now, as an adult, i have to force myself to get into drawing mode. but i really need to work on drawing; i want to become a designer, and drawing might be one of the most useful skills i can work on on my own.

i am considering taking a drawing class, but those are expensive. can anyone recommend a good, basic drawing instruction book? something simple, yet serious, i'm thinking? it's not really gonna be art drawing, i just want to be able to sketch things and make them look like they do in my head.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:12 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'm a self-employed artist/illustrator, & although I went to art school, my feelings are that the best way to learn is to just start drawing & keep on drawing! Books can be useful when it comes to more technique driven media such as printmaking, but for drawing, I think you just need to put pencil to paper & go for it.

One of the things they start you off with in drawing class is mark making, to give you a good grip on the properties of your medium. Forget about figurative drawing for a while & just keep things abstract, focusing on different ways to create tone & texture. I also advise you keep a sketchbook & just draw draw draw. The more you draw, the more keenly you start observing detail - you really start looking at things differently when you draw them. I also think it's important not to get too caught up on the finished product - just keep it loose & enjoy the process.

I think if you draw every day (& it really doesn't matter what, remote control, house plant, cat...) you will really learn a lot within a fairly short time frame. Then a life drawing class, even just a short course at a community college or something, will really set you on the right path.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:25 am 
Like Anal, But Backwards

I really like using drawing ink.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:27 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

LOVE the dog! <3

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:14 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

thank you Karena!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:18 am 

I just stumbled on this (while getting my daily trashy news fix on the Daily Mail). They look like nice little drawing lessons that might be helpful... http://www.youtube.com/ShooRaynerDrawing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:34 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

smoothie wrote:
i am considering taking a drawing class, but those are expensive. can anyone recommend a good, basic drawing instruction book? something simple, yet serious, i'm thinking? it's not really gonna be art drawing, i just want to be able to sketch things and make them look like they do in my head.

I'm going to recommend a really popular book:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0874774241/ref ... 0874774241
This book is so popular because it works; your local library will no doubt carry it.

If you don't check it out, I can tell you the most formative exercise in that book was to copy a moderately intricate line drawing while it is upside down, never looking at it or your drawing right side up until you feel you are entirely finished. Have a friend find one for you and print it out so you never see it right side up to start with. The exercise is designed to force you into looking at pure shape and form without your brain mussing up the drawing with preconceived symbols.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:50 pm 
Saggy Butt

I was going to recommend the same book. It doesn't necessarily help you draw what's in your head, but it's encouraging to be able to render what you see more accurately. If you're anything like me, it gives you the courage (for lack of a better word) to experiment more.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:41 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Ha, I was going to recommend Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, too.

I felt like the most useful aspect for me was that she really values observation and practice, and she emphasizes that you don't start out an artist, but you learn through doing. There are a gajillion books that tell you how to draw things, but she talks more about how to see things clearly, so you can draw. Which sounds new age woo woo, but it's not really.

I really like http://sevencamels.blogspot.com/. It's by an animator so he does get into movies sometimes, but he talks a lot about the elements that make a good picture and telling a story in a single frame and characterization and mood and so on. It helps me think critically about my drawings and what I'm trying to accomplish with them. I draw comics, but I think it would be helpful for anyone who draws. It's kind of like a really laid-back, occasional art class.

"Making Comics" by Scott McCloud is another good resource, both for comics and for general cartoon-style drawing. Again, I like this one because it's not like "draw two spirals to show curly hair" but more of a "what do you want to portray, here are some ways other people have done it". Some chapters are only relevant to sequential art, but a lot of it is relevant to basically any form of drawing or storytelling. And most art, and cartooning especially, is all about storytelling.

No idea about colored pencil books, sorry. Not my medium. I just wanted to throw my two cents in.

Your drawings are adorable, keep going!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:06 pm 

Karena wrote:
I'm a self-employed artist/illustrator, & although I went to art school, my feelings are that the best way to learn is to just start drawing & keep on drawing! Books can be useful when it comes to more technique driven media such as printmaking, but for drawing, I think you just need to put pencil to paper & go for it.

I pretty much agree with you. The best thing you can do when learning how to draw is just keep drawing all the time! Don't even worry about how good something is, or worry about finding a distinct style or successful experimentation with art. Draw draw draw! And drawing from life is, indeed, one of the best things you could do. I've also been using Pose Maniacs for 30-second gesture marathons and hand gestures as well. It puts me into this frame of mind where I don't give a poop about the quality of my drawings but rather the process of drawing a gestural figure. This can be helpful whether you're trying to do something anatomically correct or otherwise, because having a successful gesture in non-abstract art is often very useful. A lot of books and teachers will probably tell you this, so I'll just echo them: try to lay down a rough gesture for sketches you do. I break down things like animals, humans, and objects into basic shapes and then add on details. There's a better relationship between everything and often times the drawing will be more successful in the end.

I also like to draw with pens when I'm sketching from life subjects, because that forces me to closely observe what I'm seeing and not be anxious about achieving perfection. I obviously can't erase with pens, so that challenges me to focus more on what I'm drawing instead of being doubtful about every mark I put down on the paper. I don't know if I would recommend that for people not very experienced with drawing, but it's helpful at certain stages. Also, a stupid thing I do that is actually really helpful: looking at artwork in the mirror or flipping the paper around to hold up to a light, so I can see the image reversed. This has something to do with right/left brain stuff, I think (speaking of which, I recorded Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain for my university and it was pretty good—I'd also recommend it), and any flaws or weird composition things in my drawings are clearer when the image's reversed. Strange, I know.

Now, if there's a specific thing you want to be good at, then I would suggest looking at the work of artists you admire or who are successful within that area, and in addition to that researching tutorials online or in books can also be a wonderful tool. But just having that knowledge won't inevitably make someone an awesome artist. Then again, awesome is subjective. What I'm trying to say is that it shouldn't hurt to research techniques, but one of the most important things to do is draw daily and as much as possible.

I haven't read any colored pencil books. It's actually one of my favorite media, and I blend the fork out of my CP sketches until they basically look like paintings, so a book like The Colored Pencil Painting Bible is something that would probably be helpful for my style, though I'm not sure about your own.