| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: NaNoWriMo
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:28 pm 
Chard Martyr

For the record, I failed! Good on you for those of you who finished.

I had a breakthrough on my novel though. What can I say, I am a slow writer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:56 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

seitanicverses wrote:
So, I was just in the "What are you reading?" thread in the Living Room and I noticed people recommending "Never Let Me Go" to each other in there so I wiki'd the book to see what it's about and ZOMG, the premise is very similar to the one I've been working on. I had no idea! I even googled books before I started to see what was out there synopsis-wise similar to mine and nothing much came up. Nothing to worry me that my idea wasn't original. I guess I only searched sci-fi books or something. Or maybe it's hard to google book premises and get any accurate reading. I'm quite bummed about this. I mean, my idea diverges on several major points (from the summary I read in wiki) but I'm not sure it's enough. I guess I'll have to borrow this Never Let Me Go book from the library and make sure mine is different enough and if it isn't now I have to make it so. I guess it's a good thing to find out now, before I start any serious work on it...

Oh man :( I hope it's different enough. Does yours deal with clones?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:58 pm 

I won! I haven't finished or anything and I will need to rewrite things and get rid of scenes, but whatevs, I guess. I hope I'll still be motivated now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:15 pm 
WELFARIST!

bastah wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:
stuff about the book that may not need to be written

Oh man :( I hope it's different enough. Does yours deal with clones?

Yes! The basic premise is similar but the more I think of it, the rest is different. But still....I don't like comparisons...I want to be original! It's impossible to be wholly original though. I will find a way to get around the similarities, I suppose, in time. I also had another idea in the same vein that I might wind up using if the similarities are too much.

Oh, well, back to the time travel short story I was sketching out about an eccentric Willy Wonka-ish type and his cantankerous sidekick who stir up mayhem in every era they visit! They're like the bickering Odd Couple in a Time Travel machine, so maybe that's not too original, either. More a fusion...

As they say, you have to make things your own and so that's what I'll work at.

Congrats on finishing! I'm going to write up the last of mine tonight and then validate. I just have to remember to do it before midnight.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:23 pm 
WELFARIST!

vijita wrote:
For the record, I did awesome! Good on you for those of you who finished.

I had a breakthrough on my novel though. What can I say, I am a slow writer.

Fixed!

As much as I enjoyed writing at a breakneck speed, so much of what I produced is going to be throwaway so there's nothing wrong with being slower about things. But I do plan to do this again next year with another novel-length idea I've formulated....Now I have a whole year to ponder it.

In between times, I plan to work on what I did this November and carry on with whatever short stories and poems pop into my head when I feel like taking a break from that, as I usually do.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:10 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

vijita, there are only winners! Hopefully, this has done wonderful unexpected things for each of us.
And congrats on the breakthrough! I know the feeling, it's great.
I'm so glad my novel developed in a way that showed me I had to change its whole structure to make it work better.
But I bet I will have to keep writing for a couple more months until I reach the end of my first rough draft.

seitanicverses - Don't worry. A lot of good books contain elements from other books, or have a similar storyline. Still, each one is an individual work with a different story or message or emphasis or whatever (unless it was written by a stupid lazy plagiarist, but you're not one of them), and totally worth reading. I love how stories that happen to work well constantly influence new works.
(Oh and mine totally has elements from things like Memento, Fight Club, American Psycho and House of Leaves. But there's already such a lot of slightly paranoid stuff out there, so at some points these things turn out to be comical references or red herrings and at other points there's a sudden unexpected twist. To me it's very much its own story. But I think I'll need a couple test readers once it's finished.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:02 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i also failed! but i plan on working on it this month when i have time anyway.
i think i did gain something good though- I really, really am better at writing short stories, and now I know for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:15 am 

Phoenix wrote:
(Oh and mine totally has elements from things like Memento, Fight Club, American Psycho and House of Leaves. But there's already such a lot of slightly paranoid stuff out there, so at some points these things turn out to be comical references or red herrings and at other points there's a sudden unexpected twist. To me it's very much its own story. But I think I'll need a couple test readers once it's finished.)

House of Leave is exactly what I thought of while reading the info you have on your Nano page (and that was at the beginning of this month)! Mine is influenced by a couple books as well (Forbidden Game and Dream Date), and I had a friend tell me "Your book reminds me of..." and I was like "OMG that's my favorite book and it was my inspiration!" And then I was like "Oh fork, I hope they're not too close and that there are no real similarities (there really isn't I don't think... I hope)." And when I read the beginning of her story, I was like "This is so Neil Gaiman." And she was all "THAT WAS WHAT I WAS GOING FOR! OMG!" So there you have it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:45 am 

Also the whole clones premise is extremely cool, so I don't think you can go wrong. Think about all the stuff that is now compared to Twilight since Twilight has become so big. "They're copying Twilight!" "No, this came out before Twilight." And you know what? Twilight and half the stories we have today are all pretty much... Romeo and Juliet. And you, me and everyone else are all fine with that, because it's a great premise. So there you have it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:46 am 
WELFARIST!

Phoenix wrote:
seitanicverses - Don't worry. A lot of good books contain elements from other books, or have a similar storyline. Still, each one is an individual work with a different story or message or emphasis or whatever (unless it was written by a stupid lazy plagiarist, but you're not one of them), and totally worth reading. I love how stories that happen to work well constantly influence new works.

Thanks so much for saying so. The similarities from the Wiki description took the wind out of my sails a bit, but contributing to that is I'm pooped from the month working on it without a day off, but I actually have to read the KI book and see what I have to change to set them apart. Also, I was getting bored with my idea toward the end because I don't usually work on one idea for so long, I usually work on shorter things and switch them up when I get bored, put one aside, go to another. I couldn't really do that this month, with the time on the NaNo novel. I'll get excited about it again in the new year.

I'm about to start on a new idea, so I'll put the NaNo project aside until January (which was my plan, anyway) and do this new, shorter thing I've got percolating.

torque wrote:
i am also awesome! but i plan on working on it this month when i have time anyway.
i think i did gain something good though- I really, really am better at writing short stories, and now I know for sure.

Fixed!

Yeah, I miss short stories right now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:11 am 
Bathes in Braggs

50,555!

This was seriously my hardest nano - it was the first one with a toddler. Let me tell you, that changes EVERYTHING. I've been doing nano for seven years, and averaged 150k each year. This 50k was a struggle. I'm not thrilled with the story, but I'm thrilled I could get through it!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:23 am 

I miss short stories so much! This is my first time attempting anything longer. If you go back through this thread, I said that I could NEVER write a novel. I feel like writing a short story right now, but I have soooo much to with my novel.

Flavabean, my friend had the same problem!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:23 pm 

I haven't been in the mood to write anything since November, but today I've been itching to write! Yay!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:42 am 
Seagull of the PPK

I've been keeping a notebook in my car, because that is where i seem to get the itch most!! i wrote a quick short story the other day, while i was waiting to pick up the kid. it was twee and sappy, but it needed to get out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:42 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Lately I've been editing my second nano. I absolutely love the story, and I really do feel like I've got something here. I entered it in amazon's breakthrough novelist competition this year (5000 entries competiting for a publishing contract and a $15k advance), and I didn't make it past the first cut (taking it from 5000 to 1000). I was just a little bit shocked. I've entered it for the past few years, and always get down to the top 250 entries, so I wasn't expecting this. I'm trying to stay hopeful and optimistic, but rejection's a tough thing to deal with!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:06 pm 
WELFARIST!

Ive been working through my Nano novel too. I cut it down from ~54,000 words to about 15-20,000 working through late January straight through to the end of Feb. and now I have to build it back up. I basically left a skeleton of what I want to work with and now will add to that. Then the next draft will be a slashing and then a building again and then I'll keep slash/build, slash/build until there's nothing left to slash or build and then it'll be done, I figure.

I like my story, I like a lot of ideas I have for it but I have to make someone believe it and buy it all and hopefully be moved somehow by it, and that's the hard part. My sister is really excited about my novel though, which is nice. She hasn't actually read any of it but she knows the story outline and really likes my idea. She's my cheerleader. She wanted to know if someone could help me along, you know, with the editing or something, but I told her I have to do the whole thing alone because the ideas are all in my head and I can't see anyone else being able to do things as I see them here.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:14 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

It's so cool to hear about people going far with their writing in NaNoWriMo. For the first time, and a rather last-minute decision, I signed up this past November but had a busy schedule (senior thesis exhibition!) and no novel ideas, so I only wrote maybe 2-3k words in the first few days. Really I'm not disappointed in myself because I wasn't prepared and hadn't written anything "creative" in a long, long time, and my initial plan was to get myself in the habit of writing again, and that was successful. But NaNo actually inspired me to look into pursuing a writing minor, so I signed up for an intro to creative writing class to practice my skillz and I'm much better than I remember. No idea what'll happen next November, but congrats to anyone who reached their goal!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:00 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Niev wrote:
The only thing that worries me about this is the fact that you have to upload your novel after it is done, to prove that you've done it. I'm really paranoid it will get stolen, even if it turns out to be utter crepe.

Look closely and you'll see that there is a mechanism to check in with the incremental progress and then with the finished goods.

You can win by cheating ... but then your little gold star will never be as shiny as it could have been.

I became a vegan for selfish reasons: I want to save MY planet, improve MY health and live by MY ethics.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:04 am 
Seagull of the PPK

So, it's that time of year again. I am expecting the same craziness as last year, but i am going to do it again. i haven't had any great ideas yet, and am not interested in continuing last year's story (which lies abandoned, good riddance). I'm considering just picking something random, sitting down and mapping out the story, and running with it.

What do you have up your sleeve this year?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:38 am 
WELFARIST!

I am going to work on last year's NaNo this year so won't participate in the "word count" sense but I'll post about my editing/rewrites progress on that occasionally to keep motivated because it's rough going with no seeming end in sight.

I have an idea for a second NaNo, but I think I'd like to keep plugging away at what I did last year.

You guys can do it! I did 57,000 words last year in November.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:48 am 
Inflexitarian

I might do it. November will be a bit of a lull in my workload so I think I could go wild with it. No specific plans yet.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:04 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I will be! I've got two long stories I need to write and one picked for nano because the other has a deadline in February and if I don't enforce a deadline (external for the other one), I don't get it done so if I did the one with the deadline in February, I'd never write the first.

ETA: Amusing myself with this post and my current subnick.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I will be watching from the margins, cheering you guys on.

I still want to finish last year's NaNo project, and I have another idea I have been playing around with, but I'm not going to find the time this November, since I'm working on a huge academic writing project that I want to get done first.
(Still, I'm having a lot of fun with it. And I get to read awesome things!)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:07 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

I have no time for fiction but I'll be doing National November Academic Writing Month instead http://www.phd2published.com/2012/10/15 ... g-acwrimo/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Thessaly wrote:
I have no time for fiction but I'll be doing National November Academic Writing Month instead http://www.phd2published.com/2012/10/15 ... g-acwrimo/

OMG that exists? Must read all about it right now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next