| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Papa Tofu Loves Ethiopian Food
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:26 am 
WELFARIST!

So, I've started soaking the urad dal and fenugreek for the injeras this morning, and now I realize I'm low on brown rice flour. I don't have the recipe in front of me, but I think it calls for 1.5 cups BRF and I have maybe a scant one cup at best. I also have a bit of white rice flour (~1/8 to 1/4 cup). I was thinking of just using what rice flours I have and subbing the rest with a bit more teff flour (eyeballing looks like I'll have to sub about 1/4-1/2 cup teff for running short on rice flours). Bad idea? Anyone have any advice. I'm going shopping tomorrow so can probably get brown rice flour then...But if I can sub with teff I can get to fermentin' today (and cook the injera late tomorrow or Sunday).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:02 pm 
WELFARIST!

Whee! It's fermenting. I've never tasted injera but I think the batter tastes and looks like it probably should.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:28 pm 
Nailed to the V

Finally got around to trying some of the recipes in this last week. The mac and cheese is incredibly yum. We had it with the greens from the zine, too, which were seriously my favorite greens ever. I got the teff but haven't found any urad dal yet....when I do is when I'm breaking out a bunch of recipes from there. Looking forward to the feast already.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:36 am 
WELFARIST!

Yes, I've tried the greens before with other stuff I've made and they're delish. That niter kibbeh adds so much flavor to anything it touches.

Last night, I made a half batch of niter kibbeh, already had some dried berbere that I'd prepared for Kittee's last zine and I did a small test injera in one of my horrible non-sticks and while it stuck to the pan (plan to use my cast iron pan for my full prep of them) I thought it was a very tasty flatbread. I can tell it's going to need a well-seasoned pan not to stick like kittee says in the instructions for sure.

Today, I'm planning on making a full batch of injera fakeouts (I guess I'll store the leftovers in the fridge. I noticed kittee even included a section on what to do with leftovers, which is grand), ye'miser sambusas (spicy lentil filled pastries) and selata (tossed salad). I have some leftover citrus vinagrette (similar recipe from different cookbook) from last week for the selata that's not kittee's exact recipe, but I'll make kittee's citrus vinagrette for the salad when my stuff from last week runs out.

I also wanted to make the chickpea crispy fish for later this week with the leftover injeras and more selata, but I've had a harder time than usual finding chickpea flour lately. I only have about 1 cup on hand and I need a new bag...

Anyway, I figure I'll be cooking some from this book through December. Cannot wait for today's feast. I know it will be flavorful and different than anything I've tried before in the best way...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:34 am 
Nailed to the V

I've heard great things about the chickpea crispy fish. I really really want to try the injera and those ye'miser sambusas on our my list, too. I'll look forward to hearing how it goes!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:38 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

The chickpea fish are soooooo good. I bought this as a birthday gift for my husband and we have loved everything we've made out of it so far, but the chickpea fish were my favorite.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:09 pm 
Nailed to the V

eringi wrote:
The chickpea fish are soooooo good. I bought this as a birthday gift for my husband and we have loved everything we've made out of it so far, but the chickpea fish were my favorite.

Even more rave reviews on it! We've loved the few things we've made, too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:12 pm 
Chard Martyr

seitanicverses wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:
Updates on urad dal availability in Toronto: At "World of Spice" in Kensington Market
Sorry, the store's not called "World of Spice" It's "House of Spice"

for directions and details: http://www.yelp.ca/biz/house-of-spice-toronto

I loooove that store! I stocked up on sososo much when I was last in Toronto. Anyway, I was about to recommend it to you for urad dal until I kept reading. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:12 am 
WELFARIST!

My first foray into the zine came out yummifully. I can't wait to try more stuff!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:10 pm 
Tofu Pup

so i'm planning on making a huge ethiopian feast on christmas day. i went to a shop and found shiro powder but was too frazzled to remember to ask if it was seasoned or not. is there a telltale way to tell? it smells spicy and is orange in colour (in a paprika/cayenne tinged way). i have a theory its already seasoned but i just wanted to make sure!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:09 pm 
Naked Under Apron

librarypunk wrote:
so i'm planning on making a huge ethiopian feast on christmas day. i went to a shop and found shiro powder but was too frazzled to remember to ask if it was seasoned or not. is there a telltale way to tell? it smells spicy and is orange in colour (in a paprika/cayenne tinged way). i have a theory its already seasoned but i just wanted to make sure!

sounds like it is. unseasoned shiro is light in color. you can taste some for heat if you want, but it will be a bit bitter from the raw bean flours.

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:42 pm 
Tofu Pup

thanks for confirming my suspicions, kittee. i am excited to try the recipe out since this has been one of my favourite items to eat at restaurants. YUM!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:48 pm 
Nailed to the V

My partner got this for me and I am so excited! I have one question though...
Would it be okay to double the spice in the niter kibbeh recipe? While I know that Ethiopian food is pretty oil heavy, I would prefer to cut it down a lot when cooking for myself. Since many of the recipes seem to call for 2 Tbsp of the oil, I would like to cut it down to 1 Tbsp, but I don't want to sacrifice the seasoning that the oil provides. This seems like it could work but I just wanted to see if anyone else may have done this yet or see if it is just a really bad idea. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:21 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

tenderoni wrote:
Would it be okay to double the spice in the niter kibbeh recipe? While I know that Ethiopian food is pretty oil heavy, I would prefer to cut it down a lot when cooking for myself. Since many of the recipes seem to call for 2 Tbsp of the oil, I would like to cut it down to 1 Tbsp, but I don't want to sacrifice the seasoning that the oil provides. This seems like it could work but I just wanted to see if anyone else may have done this yet or see if it is just a really bad idea. Thanks!

Have you tried this method yet? I am thinking about giving it a try tonight. It sounds like it should work, at least in theory.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:13 pm 
Naked Under Apron

If it were me, I'd just add a little extra garlic and seasoning to the onions, rather than double up stuff in the Niter Kibbeh.
xo
kittee

pakupaku
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:19 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

After reading all these comments, I just ordered 2 copies! (One as a gift!) I've never had Ethiopian food, but it all sounds so delicious and tasty, and perfect for brightening up these miserable winter months.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:02 pm 
WELFARIST!

You'll love it! I can't wait to get my hands on some chickpea flour again. I should be in the right place for some this week. I'll be making the chickpea "fish" dish next with some tasty sides, perhaps for New Year's.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:14 pm 
Nailed to the V

cupcake wrote:
tenderoni wrote:

Have you tried this method yet? I am thinking about giving it a try tonight. It sounds like it should work, at least in theory.

I haven't tried it yet, I probably won't be able to make any of these recipes until after New Years. I would love to hear how it works out for you though!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:00 pm 
ugh

I gave my mom a copy for Christmas and you'd think I'd given her a pony or something. Thanks so much for creating this, kittee!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:29 pm 
Naked Under Apron

b.vicious wrote:
I gave my mom a copy for Christmas and you'd think I'd given her a pony or something. Thanks so much for creating this, kittee!

happy moms are the best! <3

pakupaku

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:52 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

tenderoni wrote:
cupcake wrote:
tenderoni wrote:

I haven't tried it yet, I probably won't be able to make any of these recipes until after New Years. I would love to hear how it works out for you though!

I gave this a try last night. Everything was fantastic! I did double everything in the nitter kibbeh (with the exception of the Earth Balance and turmeric), and halved the nitter kibbeh in the recipes. So you still got all oftheseasonings and flavor, just less fat. It was all so delicious, and still plenty rich tasting. I adore Kittee's zine!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:09 pm 
Nailed to the V

Woo hoo! Thanks for posting your results Cupcake! I'm so excited to cook from this zine, it's so freaking cute and I absolutely love Ethiopian food!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:30 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

(Not so) patiently waiting for my copy to arrive! I went ahead and made berbere and wot kemem in anticipation.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:25 am 
Inflexitarian

Just received my copy and love it! Let the adventure begin!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:28 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I bought a copy for my best friend (and for myself). My friend loves Ethiopian food, but lives in Alaska without easy access to needed ingredients. So, I'm putting together a themed care package for her, with Papa Tofu, berbere, black gram & lentils galore, multiple flours, fenugreek/other spices, coffee, and more....ooo...maybe fish-shaped cookie cutters.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next