| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My partner is so awesome thread
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:16 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Somedays my partner makes me crazy and other days he is awesome. I need this thread to remember the awesome times when I am frustrated.

Thursday grey had a rough day, fussing and crying all day. He wouldn't eat well or take a nap. On top of that a friend was visiting from out of town,I thought he was onlycoming over for a couple hours, instead he stayed all day and he doesn't care for babies. I was so exhausted and stressed by the end if the day. Nate stayed home with me Friday to help out. We ended up having a super nice day. He has been super supportive of everything I want todo for grey andi need to remember that on the days I feel like he isn't doing enough, I have to remember he can't breastfeed or soothe grey the same way I can.he has also been making sure the cats get lots of attention.

Post subject: Re: My partner is so awesome thread
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:23 pm 
Semen Strong

That is lovely! And I love the idea of this thread.

My husband was so cute with JENNA's son Miles on Friday. He loved holding him, and even when he cried, and I was sure he was going to give him back to JENNA, he kept soothing him and just seemed really at ease. I would totally have given him back - I get nervous around babies. Eventually Miles fell asleep, and they both seemed so at ease. Also, Miles is really just an amazingly beautiful little baby.

Today he got the coolest dresser for the babies room, and has been doing a great job painting and fixing everything in our house so she has a great place to live. And on top of that he does all the cleaning, so I don't have to bend over and is generally awesome. And he is good with my being overwhelmed at times by all the stuff we still have to do.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:58 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

This thread is exactly what I need right now. V and I had a good talk about diapers today and when we were at the store he made a point of checking out the biodegradable, hypoallergenic disposables. He wanted to compare prices with pampers & huggies and realized that the environmentally friendly disposables weren't as outrageously priced as he thought. He isn't crazy about cloth diapering so it's nice to have him looking at the disposables I would prefer to use. He is so patient with me when I start to panic about our disagreements. I know he's going to be an amazing dad :)

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:21 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

My partner is awesome. Sometimes I get mad at him for being so awesome because it makes me feel like a jerk for being so grumpy. But tonight he saved my asparagus by calling and persuading a motel to book me in with his credit card (I don't have one) after the place I originally booked at had overbooked. I am very grateful.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:23 pm 

littlebear wrote:
he has also been making sure the cats get lots of attention.

<3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:56 pm 
Inflexitarian

When I asked him what he thought about me making nightgowns for Felix, he said, "Why not?" In a serious can't-possibly-think-of-a-reason-why-not sort of way. Then he said he wanted one too, with a night cap. He also doesn't think anything of it when Felix wears dresses or skirts.
When Zola was a baby, he did the laundry, cooking, dishes, vacuuming, and shopping (he still does, but it doesn't do me much good at the moment, being a few thousand miles away). He came to every appointment when I was pregnant with Zola and when she was a baby and every appointment with my pregnancy with Felix up until we left.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:52 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yay for good daddies! I'm continually reminded of how glad I am that my husband is going to be my child's father. (that didn't come out quite right, but I think y'all get the idea). I've been super super clumsy this past week..broken a jar that was to be recycled and a glass, knocked over at least two glasses of water, dropped a bowl of custard on the floor, nearly lost my laptop last night....etc. I said to him yesterday, only half joking, "I hope I don't drop our baby". He says that "but you know babies". "Yeah, I know that if you drop them on their heads it's not good for them." Lots of reassurance and hugs. Yay.

<<still hopes she doesn't drop the baby

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:18 am 

I'm really embarrassed that I didn't notice this thread was in The Playground, so my post is irrelevant. Sorry!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:24 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

vijita wrote:
I'm really embarrassed that I didn't notice this thread was in The Playground, so my post is irrelevant. Sorry!

No way, everyone can contribute! Plus, bubah...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:26 am 
Semen Strong

Its not irrelevant! Good partners are good partners, and its always nice to hear the stories!

My husband didn't bat an eyelash when I spilled a large glass of ice water on his crotch during dinner at our favorite restaurant. I would never have been that gracious. He's lovely. And I totally feel you refinnej - I wasn't sure I wanted kids until I met my partner, and I'm glad he's going to be Tofetus' father.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:48 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

This is a great thread. I wish more men posted here, so at least there is a thread for appreciating them.

I'm sure I have lots to contribute when I have a moment. But now I'm folding laundry while hubz is outside weed whacking my garden so I don't get poison ivy again. (he seems to be immune) He is such a helper! I <3 <3 <3 my guy so much.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:10 am 

Aw, thanks for excusing my poor attention to detail.

We often say, when people ask us if we are planning to have kids, that we are "practicing" with Buhbs. And for the record, Jay is a good cat-daddy. I have 18 hours of class out of town on the weekend but he texts me constantly (and we are not texters at all!) with Buhbah updates such as "Buhbah is playing with his carrot," and "Buhbah is curled up in your office in the perfect little ball of fluffy Buhbah-ness."

I often think that Jay would be a better mother than I would.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:20 pm 
We So Excited

My partner is out helping Flames catch the one-eyed feral kitten while I stay in with mock chicken soup and orange juice. She's also going to let Flames cut her hair. Brave woman.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:44 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Tofulish wrote:

My husband was so cute with JENNA's son Miles on Friday. He loved holding him, and even when he cried, and I was sure he was going to give him back to JENNA, he kept soothing him and just seemed really at ease. I would totally have given him back - I get nervous around babies. Eventually Miles fell asleep, and they both seemed so at ease. Also, Miles is really just an amazingly beautiful little baby.

Your husband has the magic baby touch. Miles didn't just fall asleep...your husband totally put Miles to sleep...i saw it...Miles was completely destroyed. It was wonderful. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:45 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Nate is watching Grey tonight so I can go to a friends birthday party!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:06 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

vijita wrote:
Aw, thanks for excusing my poor attention to detail.

We often say, when people ask us if we are planning to have kids, that we are "practicing" with Buhbs. And for the record, Jay is a good cat-daddy. I have 18 hours of class out of town on the weekend but he texts me constantly (and we are not texters at all!) with Buhbah updates such as "Buhbah is playing with his carrot," and "Buhbah is curled up in your office in the perfect little ball of fluffy Buhbah-ness."

I often think that Jay would be a better mother than I would.

My partner is highly confident that he will be a good dad because of his practice with our two cats. He says he is better with puke and poop than I am. I'm not sure this is sound reasoning, but I'm glad he is excited and confident.

He's also been great about taking care of me when I need it. He makes me breakfast every morning, does the laundry, a lot of the shopping, and scratches my back every night. I don't know what I would do without the back scratches.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:22 am 
Semen Strong

Before we had Leela, I posted about being sad and confused that people who just recently had a baby could end up splitting up, after they'd been through so much to conceive their baby. Since we've had her, I really notice that it has kicked our conflicts up a notch. Before we really were two independent functioning adults, and didn't have much to disagree on, but with a little one that we both adore, we find ourselves in conflict sometimes and less willing to just back down.

Its funny because it comes from love for both of us. But our priorities are shifting and I think we're trying to figure out how to communicate that. He is fantastic as a Dad - he looks for every opportunity to be with her and snuggle her, and he is so into learning about babies now. And he is still great as a husband - constantly checking in and being supportive and sweet. Its just interesting how much changed.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:39 am 
Huffs Nooch

vijita wrote:

We often say, when people ask us if we are planning to have kids, that we are "practicing" with Buhbs.

haha - us too! We started with plants, upgraded to cats and are now taking on responsibility of a little human being. It's a big step, but we really do feel like the cats have helped in some ways.

I just want to give kudos to my hubs who was the sweetest of sweet yesterday. We were in our hypnobirthing class with four other very nice couples. It came time to do some practicing, which had the women working on relaxation while the men read a script for guidance. He did so great the whole time and was so concerned he did something wrong when I starting fidgeting...really, I just had a sneeze coming on and wanted to keep it under control so as not to disrupt the others. But after class he told me "I really tried to make it helpful with the rhythym, tone, and everything. I didn't want to just read it out loud." He went on to spoil me the rest of the day with snuggling and doing what ever I wanted AND didn't blink an eye when I dragged him across town to baby shop for a cart full of stuff only to have forgotten the store gift card at home. Gold star for him.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:37 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I have to take two weeks' vacation time while the woman who runs Iz's daycare is having surgery, and my partner's not taking any time off, so we only get weekends together. So I've been feeling a little grumpy about it, since he's working lots (he's an electrician, so they work as much as possible when they have business, because there will be a slow season soon enough), and I only see him in the evenings. Then tonight, he unexpectedly brought home flowers for me! He never does that, so it was extra special of him. Also, he's bringing me more mandarins after his (work, argh!) meeting tonight! :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:08 pm 
Semen Strong

My husband pulled a muscle and has been hurting, but he still soothed our little one so I could watch Dexter today (hurrah TVduck). I ended up falling asleep and had a much needed epic 4 hour nap. I feel so much better right now.

Oh and we made a really great dinner together on Sunday night. Initially I started the cooking, but she was fussing through the whole prep period, so he ended up following my directions and finished everything.

Since I asked him to spend more time with us as a family he has been making time to both support me and to hang out with us. Hurrah for conversations with another adult! I feel a lot happier and more at peace than I did after she was born, when I felt like I was trapped with her alone.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:34 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

After god-only-knows-how-many years, I am really, really still in love with Mr Torque. We cross our wires and miscommunicate a lot but I don't think I've ever known such an honest and genuinely good person as him. I've watched him build his business by being a good person, by being honest and fair, and I am so thrilled to see it paying off for hm (though it's not been easy). Made the whole marrying-someone-with-whom-you-don't-share-a-language and the immigration crepe worth it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:58 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My husband and I work in the same office. When I first accepted the position, everyone we talked to just swore up and down that they would never be able to work with their significant other, which puzzled us. Frankly, it still puzzles us. After four years, I dread the day when we eventually have to find jobs at different companies. I love being able to find him in the middle of the day if I need to talk to him about something, and now that I'm pregnant, he stops by my desk several times a day to beam at me, kiss the top of my head, and rub my belly. I can't imagine building a family with anyone else. I wake up every morning a little more in love with him than I was the day before.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:10 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Sunflower wrote:
My husband and I work in the same office. When I first accepted the position, everyone we talked to just swore up and down that they would never be able to work with their significant other, which puzzled us. Frankly, it still puzzles us. After four years, I dread the day when we eventually have to find jobs at different companies. I love being able to find him in the middle of the day if I need to talk to him about something, and now that I'm pregnant, he stops by my desk several times a day to beam at me, kiss the top of my head, and rub my belly. I can't imagine building a family with anyone else. I wake up every morning a little more in love with him than I was the day before.

I worked with V for 4 years in the same office and I loved it! I couldn't imagine being with someone that I didn't love/mind being around all the time.

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:38 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

This is a great thread. It reminds me of the other day when I randomly thanked my bf for buying me a heating blanket. He said, "That was a year ago."

I was just thinking though about how incredibly sweet he is because the night he bought it for me I was in a lot of pain (I have fibromyalgia) and was saying how great it would be to have a heating blanket. I went to bed and he woke me up around 2 a.m. he had RENTED A CAR and went out to a walmart in the middle of the night and bought me a heating blanket just because I was hurting so bad.

I want to cry just thinking about it. Is it just me or is that the sweetest thing ever? :)

We've been together almost 17 years now, and he still manages to thrill me and make me gush over him. :)

http://www.beyondwillpower.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyond-Willpower-Vegan-Weight-Loss-Journey-Blog/145691962154879 <<< Feel free to "like"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That is really sweet!

I have fibromyalgia as well. I guess I should look into purchasing a heated blanket? I don't know why I haven't thought of this before.