| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: The bra shopping support thread
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:32 pm 
Human Gravy

JillW wrote:
Recommendations for bras not made in China? I prefer no sweat shop at all, but specifically trying to avoid china. I know there's no guarantee the maker won't change factory locations, but looking for a starting point. Also, not that one that has the horrible sexist heroin model ads, I need a real bra not a camisole.

ETA: american apparel, I couldn't think of the name. anyway, not them.

Yeah, that seems like a lot of limitations... this is America, not utopia (or even Fruitopia).

Besides the American Apparel ones, every single bra I own is made in China. So clearly I'm no help.

On another note, I am really excited about The Little Bra Company. I have just been buying children's bras at TJ Maxx (which I now know are made in China).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:47 pm 
Inflexitarian

ok well if there's anyone out there with a bra made in Thailand or Philippines or something, let me know the brand!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:06 pm 
Saggy Butt

Have you ever looked at Faeries Dance?

I've never bought anything from them, since I only recently learned of the site, but they only source ethically produced and eco-friendly products. They list country of origin in all the descriptions.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:20 pm 
Inflexitarian

mandycoot wrote:
Have you ever looked at Faeries Dance?

I've never bought anything from them, since I only recently learned of the site, but they only source ethically produced and eco-friendly products. They list country of origin in all the descriptions.

cool, found 2 made in Italy!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:35 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

The other day I saw calvin klein in my boss' office and I wanted to run in and hug/kiss him for making the best bras EVER even though he probably doesn't even design them.

Anyway, they are the best - I'm a 32D which is super freaking annoying to find, but CK makes a ton of them and they are sooooo pretty! They can be kind of expensive but I get all of mine at (weirdly) Burlington Coat Factory. BCF has a huge selection of designer bras for cheap ($14). If you live in nyc, check out the one at 6th&23rd!

"It's very dear to me, the issue of GAY MARRIAGE. Or, as I like to call it: 'MARRIAGE.' You know, because I had lunch this afternoon, not gay lunch. I parked my car; I didn't gay park it." -Liz Feldman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

starrynight87 wrote:
xanthia wrote:
starrynight87 wrote:
Is there a company known to man that makes a strapless bra for DDD?

Quite a few of them. Check out bare necessities, they are having a sale today. I like Fantasie and Panache.

Heh, there's only one in my size, but it's 18 bucks, so I'll go ahead and order it!

Got it in the mail today! It fits awesomely!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:22 pm 
Saggy Butt

I, too, hate bra shopping. I cannot wear underwires. They are so uncomfortable! And I am in between an A and a B, so the As are always too small and the Bs are sometimes too big.

I found a favorite one, but it was discontinued. I am curious about the Calvin Klein wireless ones as they look really good. But I don't know what cup size to get. Any one wears them want to weigh in - do they run small or large?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:27 pm 
Human Gravy

I got a Candies brand bra out of the girls' department in Kohls last night. It was on clearance and I had a coupon so it cost me under $2. Sometimes I am grateful to have the body of a 12 year-old.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:55 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Little My wrote:
I, too, hate bra shopping. I cannot wear underwires. They are so uncomfortable! And I am in between an A and a B, so the As are always too small and the Bs are sometimes too big.

I found a favorite one, but it was discontinued. I am curious about the Calvin Klein wireless ones as they look really good. But I don't know what cup size to get. Any one wears them want to weigh in - do they run small or large?

I also hate underwires and I love CK bras without. I've found CK to run standard, maybe a tiny bit on the small side (if u are looking at a demi cup). Not sure what your body type is like but, just a thought, maybe try a 32 B instead of 34B? It will be smaller in the cup. I had the same problem because I am too big for 34B, but 34C always had this weird gap near the top. Then I realized it was actually because the band size was wrong and 32 D is perfect!

"It's very dear to me, the issue of GAY MARRIAGE. Or, as I like to call it: 'MARRIAGE.' You know, because I had lunch this afternoon, not gay lunch. I parked my car; I didn't gay park it." -Liz Feldman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:29 am 
Saggy Butt

Thanks! Sounds like I should try a 34B and then maybe get one of those band extenders. 34 is def. too tight but the cups would fit better.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:38 am 
Inflexitarian

For us "blesses with big tortes" ladies:
A couple of months ago I spent 8 hours going from dept store to lingerie shop to specialty shop looking for good bras. I was trying to get away from Lane Bryant. Victoria's secret doesn't make my size. I ended up back at Lane Bryant. I tried on bras that were over $100 and none fit as well as Cacique. Which blows because they die in 3 - 4 months usually. I do hand wash only. I have decided my boobs are too big and are too heavy and should just be cut off.
I'm 44 DDD. I fit a 40 G but it gaps on the sides a bit. For years I pushed myself into a 38 DD from Victoria's Secret just so my boobs didn't hang to my knees. I was poppin out all over the place. The newer Cacique bras are pretty so I don't feel like I'm wearing playtex, and are quite supportive. My newer ones have lasted me over three months though so maybe manufacturing got an upgrade.

Edit: I can NOT find a decent sports bra. At all. I've even tried the ones LB has but they are not so awesome. I guess they think big ladies don't want to exercise.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:49 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

A friend (with size D boobies, I've got Bs) recommended this sports bra to me last weekend, and I am ordering 2 today: http://www.zappos.com/moving-comfort-ju ... -bra-black

I'll let you guys know how it goes!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:15 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Bras are dumb! My mom got me two new fancy bras for Christmas. Of course they didn't work. The black Wacoal one is way too small around. 34? I think not! I should have listened to my mom (who worked at Nordstrom in lingerie until she retired last year) when she said that Wacoal bras tend to run small. The nude one fits (Simone Perele), but it is too light of a nude so I can see it through all my shirts. And they aren't even white shirts, they are light blue, light orange, and maroon. Sheesh.

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:44 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm definitely on the larger side of things, and it took me AGES to find a sports bra that would keep the girls from flying around. The one I have now is an Enell. It really, truly, straps 'em in. It's not even remotely comfortable, but it does keep them in place. Sacrifices, I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:12 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

So I have been all over the bra size map, but man is it amazing to have a bra that fits! I was wearing a 34 or 36b like forever. Then I went to a fancy place and put down like $70 when I was sized at a 32d.

I've been running a lot for the last seven months and that bra started to feel way too big. So I went to Von Maur and got sized (32c), bought a Calvin Klein bra and a Wacoal B.Tempt'd (so much punctuation hope I got that right) bra and What Not to Wear is so right - the right lingerie can make all the difference! Oh, and the bras were only like $20-25 on sale :)

So I recommend everyone get sized! I heard somewhere that ladies can change size at least once a year, too. Oof.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:46 am 
Married to the wolfman

zelavie wrote:
I'm definitely on the larger side of things, and it took me AGES to find a sports bra that would keep the girls from flying around. The one I have now is an Enell. It really, truly, straps 'em in. It's not even remotely comfortable, but it does keep them in place. Sacrifices, I guess.

Yup. I've had success with Enells, and also with some (but not at all) Underarmour sports bras. I have one UA one that I really, really love and have been wearing since I was a freshman in college, which is my favorite. Wish I had bought like 12 of them at the time. Best $50 I ever spent on a bra.

I'm a 38E these days, and my go-to bra for the past few years have been Le Mystere's Dream Tisha bras. They are suuuuuuper structured and supportive, which is good for me because my boobs are huge AND super squishy. They go up to a 44 band size, and I think an... H cup size? I've bought them from various vendors on Amazon and can usually find my size in some color for ~$50. Only one has ever failed on me, and that is one that I wore pretty close to every day throughout my first pregnancy and then frequently afterwards... it went through a lot of abuse as my size changed. Eventually the underwire snapped on one side.

Oh, and La Mystere also makes the only strapless bra that's ever worked for me... can't remember what the style name is but it's some convertible something. (Again, found on Amazon.)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:06 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Oh, all this talk of sports bras reminds me: the Lululemon All-Sport (find on ebay/no longer available) is wonderful. I have 3 - it really keeps me in place. I highly recommend lululemon's sports bras!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:41 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Bra shopping has been the bane of my existence for the past few months. I recently lost about 20 pounds, but I've lost around 50 in the past 3 years. Finally found some tool for measuring myself, and found that I should've gone down a band size, not a cup size. Somehow I went from filling up a D cup to a C cup feeling too big, only to discover I still needed the D cup, only in a 36 instead of 38. Bras are stupid.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:04 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

my boobs just grew a cup size. what the fizzle? I DO NOT WANT D CUPS. i love my c cups! fork you, boobs. fork you.

guess, now i need to buy new underwear.. again!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:12 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

maygles wrote:
A friend (with size D boobies, I've got Bs) recommended this sports bra to me last weekend, and I am ordering 2 today: http://www.zappos.com/moving-comfort-ju ... -bra-black

I'm a 38DDD and I have a moving comfort bra! It definitely takes a bit of effort to get squeezed into it (I sized up a band size per some of the reviews on zappos, and it's still tricky to get into it) but once you're locked and loaded, you're not going anywhere! It's definitely not necessary for low-impact exercise, but for running or zumba it's been a lifesaver for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:31 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

maygles wrote:

I LOVE IT! It's like armor for your boobs. No wigglage, comfy, no chafyness, adjustable straps that stay put. Highly recommend.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:38 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I went and got fitted today and apparently I'm somewhere between a 32 and 34 C now. I'm shrinking! And I don't wanna spend a bunch of money on bras that fit.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:21 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I just want to complain about boobs. In particular, my boobs.
After gaining weight, my bra size changed. Okay, whatever. So I finally suck it up and go for a fitting which the girl (who obviously had no idea what she was doing) did on the sales floor in front of a bunch of other customers. Then she did it like 4 times because she couldn't decide if I was a D cup or a DD cup. Shoot me now.

Also, maybe I'm crazy, but why earth do DD bras come with padded cups?! What the fork? If I'm a double D, the last thing I'm thinking is, "gee, you know, I wish my boobs looked bigger!" I give up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:01 am 
Bathes in Braggs

PlushLifeGirl wrote:
Also, maybe I'm crazy, but why earth do DD bras come with padded cups?! What the fork? If I'm a double D, the last thing I'm thinking is, "gee, you know, I wish my boobs looked bigger!" I give up.

I hear you. I swear they only do it to make it completely impossible to fit more than two of those torpedo-shaped monstrosities in our underwear drawer.

(though I do have to say after having a baby and breastfeeding, the padding does help lift me up a bit more... and hides my gigondous nipples.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:14 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I used to think the same thing about padded cups, since my boobs are a D cup, but my friend suggested I should try a padded bra anyway, because it makes you not nip out. Well since I always nip out like crazy, I decided to give a padded bra a try, begrudgingly so, and I actually found two that I like. They are Calvin Klein's that were on sale at Nordstrom Rack, so I got them both for about $15 each. A great deal. I don't think it's the ultimate in support, but they are comfy and no nip in sight. They also don't make your boobs look any bigger, Is wear.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next