| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Veganize This!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:44 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

just mumbles wrote:
What is the 'this' in 'veganize this'? Is it a colloquial reference to genitals? Because I think those have already been veganized, and I'm honestly not sure why you'd want to veganize yourself out of sexual eligibility, unless you are maybe not interested in sex or very sleepy.

Blog: http://blogthejerk.blogspot.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mikedesert
Band: http://www.myspace.com/hornssf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:26 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I won this book, so I don't really have any complaints. It's not something I would buy, but I think it's neat to have for different type occasions. I don't usually make stuff like this at all, so it will be fun to try something different.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:29 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm having a hard time deciding what to make first.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:41 am 
So Totally Yiffy

My copy of this arrived the other day, and actually I think it looks okay. Definitely not something I would cook from on an everyday basis, and probably not what you'd expect from the cover if you hadn't read the blog, but I'm looking forward to trying out the different seitan recipes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:35 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

the caesar is great!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:06 am 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

I bought this book and have read through it but haven't cooked anything from it yet. But then again I have at least 3 other cookbooks I have bought semi-recently that I haven't used yet, not because I don't like them but because I have a cookbook buying ocd.

I agree there are alot of recipes that call for premade ingredients though. Something I'm not really into but I'm going to give the book a shot. Especially the seitan

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:53 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I haven't bought this one (it caught my eye, but the Amazon reviews basically mirrored what everyone's saying here). However, I confess that there are some things I tend to cook exactly this way... To make ranch dressing I start with a base of plain soygurt and veggie mayo (though really that's it, besides spices). I've been known to use several kinds of vegan cheese in a recipe because some are good at texture and others are good at flavor. (eg: Daiya has the best stretchy texture, but sometimes I'll mix it with Follow Your Heart mozz because I think that tastes better. I used to make vegan cheeseball by processing Cheezly and Tofutti (with beer, veg worchestershire, a little miso...). Since I can't get Cheezly as easily these days I'd probably throw in some Dr. Cow. It would be a special occasion thing for sure, that stuff's like $8 a round and I'm even lucky enough at the moment to be able to buy it locally. But yeaaah, I've been known to cook that way. Which is not to say I want that in a cookbook.

Those of you looking for Doritos should check out Tios chips - there's one flavor that's just like Doritos. Those in Europe, I used to buy a spicy "Amaizin" chips (Chili flavor, I think - they changed their packaging on me): http://www.amaizin.nl/index.php?page=products&prod=mais . If you're going to buy commercial chips why not just start with flavored ones?

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:43 am 
Nailed to the V

I've had this book for a while and finally made something from it: the tofu scallops with linguine in basil cream sauce. I used plain soy milk with some pureed blanced almonds instead of the soy creamer and coconut milk. Overall, this recipe was a success, but the texture of the scallops was a bit off. If I make the tofu scallops again, I will press the tofu overnight in my tofu express. Pressing for 30 minutes was not enough. I'm excited to try the tofu scallops in other recipes.

For those who might be considering buying this book, I agree that it is one you need to look at before purchasing. Aside from the fact that a number of recipes call for pre-made ingredients (I plan not to make those), the publisher made a number of bad calls. For some reason, the cover and introduction suggest that the book is about easy vegan cooking. it definitely is not. This is a book of fussy recipes that take a long time to prepare. Also, as other folks mentioned, there are some major type-setting issues. For example, there are recipes where the title appears on the bottom of a page and the actual recipe is on the next page. Lots of other recipes continue across page breaks, forcing you to flip back and forth while cooking.

I hope that if the author writes any future cookbooks, the publisher will do a better job of branding and editing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:29 am 
Nailed to the V

I checked this out from the library because the scallops and seitan recipes look pretty good. Most of the other recipes seem needlessly complex and like others have said, the reliance on food products rather than actual food is a big turn-off. And the writing style annoys me...the humor seems really forced and juvenile, and unlike some of my favorite cookbook authors, I wouldn't want to chat with Jenn Shagrin.

Post subject: Veganize This Cookbook
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:26 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I tried searching for this but i didn't see a thread for this book. I've been reading the authors blog and i saw she had a book, the reviews on amazon are kind of mixed but i saw a used copy for $4. So do any of you own the book?
http://www.amazon.com/Veganize-This-Ice ... 112&sr=1-1

Post subject: Re: Veganize This Cookbook
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:38 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

This book is fantastic! Great writing, awesome recipes, and outstanding photographs. Jenn Shagrin has created masterpieces that are edible, scrumptious, and healthy!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:23 pm 
Nailed to the V

There is a thread on this, so hopefully our beloved moderators will merge. There were mixed reviews on the thread as well. I bought the book anyway because I was excited for vegan scallops. I made those and the seitan beef recipe with the avocado sauce. Both were okay, but not fabulous. (I think the issue with the beef was that there was something up with my seitan, which I made from a recipe in another book).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:13 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

The issue I had with this cookbook is that most of the recipes require either store-bought meat or dairy substitutes or making other recipes before you start on the final product. Not that I'm necessarily opposed to those things, but if I'm cooking from a recipe I prefer something simple and mostly made from scratch. I only had the book out from the library for a few weeks, though, and I never ended up trying a recipe, so I could have certainly missed some good stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:41 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I haven't bought it as I felt like it relied upon store-bought meat/dairy/etc subs way too much (which are very expensive/hard to get in Australia), and the author's blog and personality seemed to be something I didn't wanna get involved with.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:52 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

mattomic wrote:
I haven't bought it as I felt like it relied upon store-bought meat/dairy/etc subs way too much (which are very expensive/hard to get in Australia), and the author's blog and personality seemed to be something I didn't wanna get involved with.

Yeah i'm not a big fan of her personality wise, but the pictures on her blog were pretty awesome. I ordered it online i"ll probably regret it when it comes, i might return if or donate it because i saw that her 4 cheese mac and cheese just calls for 4 different packaged vegan cheeses, the only vegan cheese i can get here is daiya and i don't even like it that much. In Celine and Joni's book Hearty Vegan they have a 5 cheese (i think) mac and cheese and they tell you how to make the cheeses, thats what i look for in vegan cookbooks i hate when the rely heavily on pre-packaged products that are usually kind of expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:09 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I think the previous thread was on the old boards, I couldn't find it.

I've seen people on amazon complain about the tone of the book and her being crass. Which just makes me want to buy it.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:31 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5196

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:10 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

mrsbadmouth, have you read her *food* blog? http://jennshaggy.blogspot.com/ See the most recent blog post?...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:32 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I posted in the older thread that I was excited about this book, but I ended up selling it. I still think she has interesting ideas, and the food on her blog, though made with insanely expensive ingredients, looks pretty good, but it's just such a weird book that doesn't seem like it would be practical for most home cooks. Her blog wasn't always as dramaz-filled as that last post. Honestly, I hope she's okay.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:46 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

vijita wrote:
Honestly, I hope she's okay.

Yeah, I don't see what her personal problems have to do with the quality of her book anyway. It sounds like she had her identity stolen, which blows.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:59 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

veggiegurl wrote:
mattomic wrote:

Yeah i'm not a big fan of her personality wise, but the pictures on her blog were pretty awesome. I ordered it online i"ll probably regret it when it comes, i might return if or donate it because i saw that her 4 cheese mac and cheese just calls for 4 different packaged vegan cheeses, the only vegan cheese i can get here is daiya and i don't even like it that much.

Ugh, really? Shoot. I basically bought the book for the mac n' cheese recipes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:07 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Nebraskalaska wrote:
veggiegurl wrote:
mattomic wrote:

Yeah i'm not a big fan of her personality wise, but the pictures on her blog were pretty awesome. I ordered it online i"ll probably regret it when it comes, i might return if or donate it because i saw that her 4 cheese mac and cheese just calls for 4 different packaged vegan cheeses, the only vegan cheese i can get here is daiya and i don't even like it that much.

Ugh, really? Shoot. I basically bought the book for the mac n' cheese recipes.

Yep, here's a link to her blog post about it, she doesnt post the recipe here just the cheeses she uses http://jennshaggy.blogspot.com/2009/05/ ... uffle.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:18 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

...that makes my stomach hurt just looking at it.

To be honest, I think there is a place in the world for cookbooks that rely heavily on off the shelf plant based cheeses and meats, especially as veganism moves into the mainstream. That's what everyday American cooking look like; lots of cheese, sour cream, stuff out of bags and boxes etc. But personally I just like my food made from scratch.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:54 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Nebraskalaska wrote:
To be honest, I think there is a place in the world for cookbooks that rely heavily on off the shelf plant based cheeses and meats, especially as veganism moves into the mainstream. That's what everyday American cooking look like; lots of cheese, sour cream, stuff out of bags and boxes etc. But personally I just like my food made from scratch.

I agree that there's a place for cooking like that, but I don't think that it warrants a vegan cookbook. If I were just going to replace cheese with pre-made vegan cheese, cream with pre-made vegan cream, etc, I could just use any of the vegetarian cookbooks that I already had before going vegan. Speaking from the perspective of someone who can't just pick up Daiya at the supermarket, seeing vegan cookbooks like that would have made veganism seem almost unfeasible for me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:03 am 
Level 7 Vegan

xmiyux wrote:
The book opens by listing some recipes for gluten or fruit flavored as meat substitutes

i just realized i don't know what this means.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba