| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 596 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Viva Vegan! by Terry Hope Romero
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:46 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made the steamed red seitan today and it is REALLY soft. I even added an extra 1/4th cup VWG because the dough seemed wet, and steamed it for a full hour. Did I do something wrong? I've made the white seitan tons of times but this is my first go with the red.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

molly wrote:
I made the steamed red seitan today and it is REALLY soft. I even added an extra 1/4th cup VWG because the dough seemed wet, and steamed it for a full hour. Did I do something wrong? I've made the white seitan tons of times but this is my first go with the red.

It's fine. My dough is always really wet, and the loaves come out of the steamer pretty soft, but they firm up a bit when chilled. It's much more 'tender' than other seitans.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:47 pm 
WELFARIST!

Erinnerung wrote:
molly wrote:

It's fine. My dough is always really wet, and the loaves come out of the steamer pretty soft, but they firm up a bit when chilled. It's much more 'tender' than other seitans.

Yeah, my red seitan came out wetter than the white but came together after chilling. I've only made the red once and might try cutting back a bit on the liquids next time I make it and see if I can get it a bit firmer like how the texture of the white turns out because I did think the red was a fail at first. It is definitely more fall-aparty than the white and I'd like it a touch firmer.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:17 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

OK, thanks. I was hoping to be able to use it in enchiladas tonight but I subbed in chickpeas instead. She does say in the recipe that it's better if chilled overnight.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:54 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Last week I made the Dulce de Batata + the Chocolate Orange Spice Cake - everyone should make it because it's the best cake in the world!

Other recent eats: the Papaya Lime Sorbet (delicious), the Yellow Chilli Grilled Mushrooms + Fruity Chilli Slaw + arepas (great lunch), the Chorizo Spinach Sopes (really, really good) and the Creamy Corn Empanadas + Sweet and Spicy Mushroom Potato Empanadas (I have leftovers for lunch today, yum).

Erinnerung wrote:
Kitteh- where do you get Harina PAN? I want to make arepas but I can only find masa harina here, and Monterey don't have any.

Sorry, I only just saw this! I get it at a local veggie store - want me to send you some?

It's distributed by Latin Deli - they don't have stockists on their site but if you email them, they'll get back to you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:52 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

All good! I ordered some online from Spice Mart or something, I can't remember. It's not here yet, but I'm excited.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:40 am 
ugh

I made the green posole this weekend and it was delish.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:00 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

joyfulgirl wrote:
A tip for anyone as lazy as me or someone who just doesn't have the time to tamales: I just made the filling for the Black Bean Sweet Potato Tamales and had it over cooked polenta. It was fantastic!

Love this idea!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:48 am 
WELFARIST!

Kitteh wrote:
Last week I made the Dulce de Batata + the Chocolate Orange Spice Cake - everyone should make it because it's the best cake in the world!

I've always wanted to make this. Maybe for Christmas this year. I should consider cupcakes of it...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:45 am 
Naked Under Apron

I'm going to try making tamales this afternoon, and I can't figure out whether they're supposed to be tied at both ends or if I should just tie one end and leave the other end open. The different pictures and descriptions seem to disagree.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:46 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Finished making the tamales, and they are really good. I went with just folding the bottom end, and it worked fine. Ended up ruining the pot, though, because I didn't keep a close enough eye on it, and it boiled dry and then burned. But, I've had that pot for ten years, so it's probably time to get a new one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:24 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I cannot stop making the chipotle seitan & potato tacos. I made them a couple of weeks ago and ate leftovers for breakfast three days in a row. Then I made them again this weekend and had a leftover taco as a snack last night at 9:30. So then today I bought more potatoes so I can make them again. It's a sickness!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Larisa, if you soak the pot for a while and then scrub the hell out of it, you can probably get it clean. I've blackened the bottom of pans more than once because I wasn't paying attention and let it steam dry.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:10 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I know it's been said, and I don't know what took me so long to try it, but the white seitan is probably the best seitan that has ever been made in my kitchen! wow.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:02 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

molly wrote:
I cannot stop making the chipotle seitan & potato tacos. I made them a couple of weeks ago and ate leftovers for breakfast three days in a row. Then I made them again this weekend and had a leftover taco as a snack last night at 9:30. So then today I bought more potatoes so I can make them again. It's a sickness!

I use the marinade for setain & veggie fajitas. Very often requested by omni friends and family.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:47 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the sancocho tonight and I loved it! So did my picky, omni husband. He even requested I make a note of how much he liked it, which is his way of asking that I put into permanent rotation. It was my first time trying yucca and I really dug it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:17 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

dudes that GUATITA is sooo good. We just had it for dinner the other night after not having it all spring/summer and I fell in love all over again. Pickled red onions on top are a must, though.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:41 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I braved the rain to go down to Casa Iberica today and subsequently spent $60. Man, is that place expensive. But since I now own masa harina, masarepa, aji paste, dried anchos, achiote seeds and chipotles I have decided to be super ambitious and have a latin food themed week. seitan and potato skewers, green sauce, seitan tacos, arepas, pupusas, taquitos, empanadas, yellow rice, venezuelan beans, viejo ropa seitan, fruit chile slaw, marinated slaw, red chile sauce, qunioa salad.... man this is going to be BIG cooking week!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:59 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Sounds like an awesome week to me!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:31 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

This isn't about the recipes- but i am gifting this book to a friend, and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on what to give her along with the book (that you use in it), since you all use it! I'm thinking like random ingredients that get used a lot, or maybe a special utensil that you need for a recipe. If you guys have come across either of those and let me know, thanks so much!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:41 pm 
Chip Strong

Aji Amarillo, masarepa, maybe a tortilla press.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:50 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

or a tortilla warmer, a steamer if she doesn't have one, and a bunch of fun peppers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:31 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I'd suggest an empanada press, microplane zester for garlic, Maseca masa flour, a bag of corn husks, plantains, or chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:39 pm 
Nooch of Earl

This site has some nice ideas (not a vegan site, verify individual ingredients of course!!): http://www.mexgrocer.com/gift-packages.html The tamale kit items look like they'd be awesome to receive if you hadn't made tamales before.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I like a lot of these ideas! I'd include a can of chipotles in adobo sauce, corn husks, and masa flour.

What a great gift!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 596 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 24  Next