| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: flexitarian, seagan, beegan, etc.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:51 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

to be true, i do call the kiddo a cupcakeatarian because she's vegan except for the odd bit of un vegan junk food (mainly cupcakes at parties), but I was JOKING. so clearly when we saw a "cupcakeatarian" shirt we had to buy it. anyway.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:30 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

GreenDuck wrote:
one man who calls himself vegetarian but ... and cooked roast chicken for Christmas because he wanted to re-learn how to stomach meat in case there were no veggie options when he went on holiday abroad.

Oh ffs. At least the zombie apocalypse git had thought through the likelihood of a world entirely free of fruit and veg properly...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:32 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

GreenDuck wrote:
Do know one girl who calls herself vegetarian but eats fish 'because it's good for her' and one man who calls himself vegetarian but occasionally eats artisan bacon. And cooked roast chicken for Christmas because he wanted to re-learn how to stomach meat in case there were no veggie options when he went on holiday abroad.

I don't get this. Your body doesn't "forget" how to digest animal products! Right? You still have the same genes that produce the same enzymes. When I've eaten stuff accidentally containing meat/dairy, I don't even notice. Once i realize what I've eaten I do get grossed out but I'm not physically unwell. Unless your friend is trying to learn how to get over the ick factor, in which case I understand.

My partner's sister and her bf call themselves "aqua-vegans" because they eat fish. It makes me think of Aqua Velva, so I giggle every time they say it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:13 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

couroupita wrote:
GreenDuck wrote:
Do know one girl who calls herself vegetarian but eats fish 'because it's good for her' and one man who calls himself vegetarian but occasionally eats artisan bacon. And cooked roast chicken for Christmas because he wanted to re-learn how to stomach meat in case there were no veggie options when he went on holiday abroad.

I don't get this. Your body doesn't "forget" how to digest animal products! Right? You still have the same genes that produce the same enzymes. When I've eaten stuff accidentally containing meat/dairy, I don't even notice. Once i realize what I've eaten I do get grossed out but I'm not physically unwell. Unless your friend is trying to learn how to get over the ick factor, in which case I understand.

My partner's sister and her bf call themselves "aqua-vegans" because they eat fish. It makes me think of Aqua Velva, so I giggle every time they say it.

Most people develop secondary lactose-intolerance when they stop consuming milk; if you don't drink or eat 'enough' of it, the bacteria that feed off the lactose die out, so if you start eating it again, you get sick. I think something similar happens with meat. I know that the few times some animal products have ended up in my food, my stomach was not very happy with me.

One of my friends, who goes by an interesting name (he has an absurdly long name, so it got shortened to four consonants), is a [name]itarian. He eats vegetarian on his own, but if someone's going to throw out anything, he'll eat it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:17 am 
Nailed to the V

I get sick if I accidentally ingest dairy at this point (which has happened only once or twice in the last couple of years). I can't imagine how yucky I'd feel if I ate meat!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:50 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Wow, good to know! I always thought people were exaggerating when they said they had adverse reactions to meat/dairy (other than lactose intolerance). Now I feel like the unusual one here!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:57 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

OMG appi, when did you change your avatar? This one is the best yet! It looks as if Livi is constantly shocked about your posts. Especially when they're about her. I love it!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:25 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

couroupita wrote:
Wow, good to know! I always thought people were exaggerating when they said they had adverse reactions to meat/dairy (other than lactose intolerance). Now I feel like the unusual one here!

(For what it's worth, I might have some of the science backwards, but... The general gist of it is right. It might be some weird body thing, not bacteria, and some other things) It really depends on where you are. Lactose intolerance is really rare in Europe, because of some crazy gene mutation that happened ages back, but really common in a lot of Asian countries. Individual mileage may vary, of course, but if you've got some genes, you're probably not going to have a lot of adverse effects.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:10 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yeah, I mean it made sense to me if it was people who had *always* had problems because of their genetics, like lactose intolerance. I guess I was referring more to people who had been omni and didn't have a bad reaction to meat/dairy, switch to veganism, and then mistakenly eat something containing animal products and get sick. Like what was mentioned in a recent Vegansaurus post: http://vegansaurus.com/post/13973188781 (point #2).

But it totally makes sense to me now that intestinal flora might change based on diet and that could give you tummy problems. I don't know why that didn't occur to me before! Like my parents always have stomach problems when they come visit because they don't eat a lot of veggies or fiber so they get major bloating and cramps...I didn't think it could go the other way. It never happened to me either, so I was clueless and skeptical. Epiphany for me, haha!

Sorry to derail the thread!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:49 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

From now on I'm a Gleegan.

I only eat terrible terrible music.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:52 pm 
Nailed to the V

I like Gleegan = Gluten-free vegan.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:56 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Wait, is that a real thing? I was trying to troll Glee fans.

Are there other niche fandoms I can abuse? I'm, uh, a Ponygan-- I only eat ponies. I'm a Buffygan! I only eat Joss Whedon! I'm a Pet Shop Boygan-- I only eat the Pet Shop Boys! YUM!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:50 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Veganismbot wrote:

My sweetie calls the food that we can both eat (he's GF I'm vegan) "gluten freegan".

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:59 pm 
Nailed to the V

j-dub wrote:
Veganismbot wrote:

My sweetie calls the food that we can both eat (he's GF I'm vegan) "gluten freegan".

I'm pretty sure Gleegan is something me and roommates used to throw around.

Regarding gluten freegan, I like it. Though I know freegan is a real thing where people only eat food that was free (some dumpster divers are like this), so gluten freegan sounds like someone who only eats free bread to me.