| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PPK Greyhounds
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:05 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Do any of you delightful, beautiful folk have a rescued greyhound? I've been thinking seriously about adopting one lately, but am concerned with how much space one might need, attachment issues, chasing my cats issues, etc. Can you give me the greyhound low-down?

I know adopting a greyhound would at least require a new car - I currently drive a tiny little Smart car; while it's great for shuffling my partner, the cats and me down to Southern California to visit our families, there is not room for a dog. At all.

Post subject: Re: PPK Greyhounds
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:36 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'd love to hear the opinions here, too! We've talked about adopting a greyhound. Not any time very soon, but likely after we move in a year or so and get all settled in our new location.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:43 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I don't own a greyhound but I looooove them and if I were to own a dog it would probably be a greyhound. My boyfriends old roommates have one and she was a little neurotic, but mostly a pretty cool dog. She was totally cool with their cats, but I know that depends a lot on the individual dog. The rescue places usually do temperament testing so they can tell you how each dog is with small animals.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:08 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Studio has one but I think she's traveling somewhere for the next few weeks. PM her maybe? He is a cool dog but I know she couldn't have any cats or small dogs around him.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:11 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I just watched a Dogs 101 (an...animal planet show? Maybe discovery channel?) on greyhounds and decided they were the best dog other than pit bulls. You could probs google it, but the gist was all - they're great dogs, very adaptable and don't require too much exercise so they're fine in houses or small apartments. They have a few medical problems to look out for, but nothing crazy. And they really like being around their humans.

I think cat tormenting and separation anxiety will just vary from dog to dog no matter what breed, really. Just something to look out for before you adopt.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:14 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Fee wrote:
I think cat tormenting and separation anxiety will just vary from dog to dog no matter what breed, really. Just something to look out for before you adopt.

Word.

I wonder if my employer would let me bring a dog to work? There are just 5 of us, but the other 4 are fairly conservative and old-fashioned when it comes to The Office Environment. Also, My partner and I will both be in grad school at the same, and it's not like we can take the dog to school.. hm. Conundrums.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:02 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

My brother-in-law has several rescued greyhounds. Regarding issues with cats and smaller dogs, it varies from dog to dog. If you find a group that fosters, they will usually have a good understanding of each dog's individual personality. Some of them love to chase cats/small dogs and some of them don't.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:02 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I think (remembering the post pics of your pets thread) that two PPK-ers have rescued greyhounds.

I've been thinking about adopting one for years and now that I have my own house, I think it's finally going to happen!

I haven't read either yet, but a lot of people recommend the books "Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies" and "Adopting the Racing Greyhound".

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:28 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I have a whippet (not-rescue) and have considered the same thing. Having talked to people who have adopted greys, it's my understanding that the biggest challenge (as I've experienced with Karma) is running- they are never ever to be off leash. Running is what they're designed to do. If you live anywhere busy, it's to be considered.

Sighthounds are generally lazy and snuggly, but can be a little standoffish. As a rescue, consider the social situations in which you'll ask your dog to perform in- kids, strangers. She may not be entirely receptive. If you're a quiet person who loves long walks and sleeping on the very edge of the bed, a grey would be perfect!

If you do, lmk. We're starting to consider a second dog, and this may be an option for us; I would love to hear your story.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:14 pm 
Tofu Pup

Karma007 wrote:
I have a whippet (not-rescue) and have considered the same thing. Having talked to people who have adopted greys, it's my understanding that the biggest challenge (as I've experienced with Karma) is running- they are never ever to be off leash. Running is what they're designed to do. If you live anywhere busy, it's to be considered.

Sighthounds are generally lazy and snuggly, but can be a little standoffish. As a rescue, consider the social situations in which you'll ask your dog to perform in- kids, strangers. She may not be entirely receptive. If you're a quiet person who loves long walks and sleeping on the very edge of the bed, a grey would be perfect!

If you do, lmk. We're starting to consider a second dog, and this may be an option for us; I would love to hear your story.

I have a whippet too! We've decided that once we move into a bigger place we'll adopt a greyhound. We just don't have the space right now for two dogs.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:06 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I have a co-worker and a friend who both have rescues. Both live with cats and are fine. My friend's is a total lover and pretty neurotic about things (he's afraid of a lot, including ceiling fans) and my co-worker's is incredibly sweet but has anxiety issues and is terrified of other dogs. Like any dog they'll take a lot of work, but nothing compares to when they just lean on you with their velvety little ears.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:56 am 

Hi! I'm away from home right now, but wanted to share quickly. I have a retired greyhound. He is a big lazy boy and I love him. In my experience greys can have little quirks that other breeds might not have: my dude (now after several months of doing fine) has decided NOT to walk up the open-slat stairs in our house anymore and he can be spooked by super strange things, like snowmen!. He's not the best with other dogs, mostly disinterested. My guy is bad with cats, but there were lots of dogs available from the rescue foundation that were okay with them. The foster families were able to tell us a lot.

Research the breed a little, you will get to know greyhounds and what to expect. All the quirks including separation anxiety will vary like with any other kind of dog.

The only thing that does bum me out about having a retired greyhound is that we can never take hin off leash. It's not a big deal and we find fenced areas for him sometimes I wish it were easier.

I'm in Europe traveling for a total of 3 weeks and I just miss the hell out of my doggie!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:17 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

Do it! Greyhounds are awesome - lazy, loving dogs!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:40 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Aw, I'm so jealous of all you greyhound owners, and Andy yours are beautiful! I've always wanted to adopt one, however, I've resigned to the fact that I probably never can since it is too cold where I live (our high today is -15C and it is only going to get colder as winter progresses) and my favourite thing to do with dogs is go snowshoeing. Luckily I have youtube videos.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:52 pm 

i love greys! i am of the same mindset as fee, that they're my second favorite to pit bulls. they're so sweet, but subtle about it (unlike the typical pit bull, who is aggressively affectionate), 95% lazy with little bursts of speed, and funny looking and beautiful at the same time. i especially love when they greet you by leaning on you! also how they like to sleep in the "cockroach position."

when i was a dog walker i had a few greyhound clients over the years, and they were all cat-friendly, dog-friendly, and were excellent off-leash. all greyhound rescues will tell you to never let them off-leash, but in my experience it really depends on the dog. the greyhounds i walked lived in san francisco where they were constantly exposed to dog parks from the time they were rescued, and they did really well living in a city. greyhound rescues generally seem to be very hands-on and know a lot about their dogs before they adopt them out, so i would think you could work out the cat issue and get plenty of info on a dog before you decide to adopt.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:00 pm 
Semen Strong

Fee wrote:

Because greyhounds are sighthounds that are trained to chase after things that are moving, my understanding is that there are more of them on average that have an issue with cat chasing, but as you say, not all do, and rescue places do a lot of temperament testing.

I'm also in the second favorite to a pitbull camp. I would totally LOVE to live with one, because they are absolutely magical when they start really running. There are five or so who come to our dogpark in the early mornings, and watching them fly around at top speed is a thing of beauty. My understanding is that you have to be prepared to keep them on leash if they aren't in a confined area, because they do lock on something and then give chase and often disregard your commands to come back and run until they are lost or exhausted. Unlike my slowmoving pitbull who follows aimiably and is very obedient.

But they sure are pretty.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:08 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

if they are like my whippet, it's amazing how dependent they are on sight. when we got our second dog (which is now proving to be a shepherd-pit mix) we were amazed to learn how different from "normal" dogs the sighthounds are. The whippet is so ridiculously visual with everything it's just plain silly. she couldn't smell a rotting brie wrapped in a stinky sock if it were tied around her neck. Food is not much motivation, and she can't be bothered earning food treats or even eating half the time. But bring her to a place where she can run and play ball, and she's amazing.