| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 754 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Seattle!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:48 am 
Grandfathered In

I don't care what Mighty-O is selling as long as I can watch the donut machine in action.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:44 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I haven't gotten around to thanking all of you for your awesome recommendations about Seattle. My husband and I visited for our anniversary in September and had an awesome time! We went to Wayward Cafe (twice), the awesome coffee place someone recommended (can't remember the name right now - was it Coffee Works?), got a cookie from Cinnamon Works, and went to Mighty-O Donuts! My husband was so happy with the coffee at that coffee place and he is a big coffee snob from Costa Rica! We went there twice too. Also, I went to some small grocery store type-place that had an awesome vegan purse, and I am very much enjoying having a nice purse. We will be visiting friends in Seattle for New Years so we are looking forward to heading out there again. Thanks, all!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:45 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Also, I am so jealous of your farmers market. We ate a lot of nectarines! And blackberries!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:24 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Hey Seattle!!! I'm back on the non-hillbilly side of the mountains! Of course I moved to Auburn, so it's really not that different. I'm just way closer to Seattle and can actually hang out there again.

Fun Auburn story... The first day Ian and I moved here we went grocery shopping and bought wine. When the clerk lady saw Ian's Florida ID she did the obligatory "What are you doing all the way up here!?" thing. When he said we just moved here she went on and on about how great Auburn is, how it's so much "homier" than Seattle... Then she said, "It used to have more of a small town feel... There's a lot more crime nowadays. Y'know, because of the diversity."

No, I am not shitting you, she actually said that. I was like, what the fizzle... I did leave Spokane, right?

So anyway... HI GUYS!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:24 pm 
Chard Martyr

I had a dream I was at a Seattle meetup last night! Even biker boy was there. You guys were pretty much all there--even the people I've never met had faces. We ate tacos. Now I want to come visit!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:33 pm 
Dead by dawn

If we had a taco meetup, biker boy would definitely be there.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:51 pm 
Grandfathered In

Tacos are good.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:06 pm 
Inflexitarian

bebopmouse wrote:
Hey Seattle!!! I'm back on the non-hillbilly side of the mountains!

it's about time!
good news, we have more options for food than back in the squid and ink days.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:27 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

SweetT wrote:
bebopmouse wrote:
Hey Seattle!!! I'm back on the non-hillbilly side of the mountains!

it's about time!
good news, we have more options for food than back in the squid and ink days.

Oh, I know. I've been back for a couple of years now, I just wasn't back on the ppk.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

We want to move to Seattle.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:44 pm 
Grandfathered In

allychristine wrote:

Just don't wait 2 years before telling us.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

FootFace wrote:
allychristine wrote:

NEVER. I will be in here the moment if/when we arrive. ...and also for advice beforehand if we actually get to the planning stage!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:17 pm 
Dead by dawn

I think all of the PPK should move to Seattle. Well, except for that one person.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:39 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

FootFace wrote:
allychristine wrote:

Oh shut up.

By the way, my friend Jake took a picture of a package of bacon flavored candy canes with a happy, dancing pig on the box. They also happen to be sitting right next to a package of Hanukkah candy canes for added horribleness. Not sure if you had seen those (the bacon ones with the pig) yet...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:08 pm 
Grandfathered In

Is it an Archie McPhee thing? Like this?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:56 pm 
Inflexitarian

or maybe this?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:24 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

SweetT wrote:
or maybe this?

This.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:13 am 
Grandfathered In

Aw, start your own blogs.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:18 am 
Dead by dawn

Footie, have you seen the awful Cabela's commercial where the deer is playing a deer hunting video game? Don't know if you can do anything with that since he's not advocating eating deer just, you know, shooting them...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:51 pm 
Grandfathered In

Nope! I don't know that one.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:44 pm 
Dead by dawn

I'll send you the link Monday 'cause I've got it in my work email. Maybe you can't do anything with it, but if I had to see it, you should have to see it too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm hoping you all can give me some Seattle insight. P and I are really thinking about moving to Seattle in 1-2 years, but we've never even visited! The closest I've been is the airport, and we've been to Washington quite a few times (lived in Montana). I really want to go to UW for occupational therapy, and P could (probably) get a really good job (software developer type). We hope to get a good price on tickets to visit this coming year. Anyway, things we are really wondering about:

-keep hearing conflicting things about the weather! hear that the rain/gloom thing is kind of a myth/hype, and the gloomy season is winter..then heard horror stories from a guy about how it was horribly gloomy with only like 20 good days, but I also have a friend who recently moved there, and loves it..so... is it really just a preferential thing? we are ok with rain/gloom, but I do also like sun. also heard the skiing is not so good (but thought it would be!).

-the commute! the traffic! the big city! we've never lived in a big city, and all this concerns us somewhat... would like to live in a suburb, but want to be close to job/school, so....dunno about that.

-is it feasible to live in a good part of the city/suburb and afford it?? tried to search around, but it's hard to know where to want to live!

I already know it's super awesome for vegan living, would be really interesting to live in a different part of the country, nice to live closer to Canada, fun to be by mountains and ocean, OT program looks good, etc. What do you like and not like?

Thanksies!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:58 pm 
Inflexitarian

allychristine wrote:
I'm hoping you all can give me some Seattle insight. P and I are really thinking about moving to Seattle in 1-2 years, but we've never even visited! The closest I've been is the airport, and we've been to Washington quite a few times (lived in Montana). I really want to go to UW for occupational therapy, and P could (probably) get a really good job (software developer type). We hope to get a good price on tickets to visit this coming year. Anyway, things we are really wondering about:

-keep hearing conflicting things about the weather! hear that the rain/gloom thing is kind of a myth/hype, and the gloomy season is winter..then heard horror stories from a guy about how it was horribly gloomy with only like 20 good days, but I also have a friend who recently moved there, and loves it..so... is it really just a preferential thing? we are ok with rain/gloom, but I do also like sun. also heard the skiing is not so good (but thought it would be!).

-the commute! the traffic! the big city! we've never lived in a big city, and all this concerns us somewhat... would like to live in a suburb, but want to be close to job/school, so....dunno about that.

-is it feasible to live in a good part of the city/suburb and afford it?? tried to search around, but it's hard to know where to want to live!

I already know it's super awesome for vegan living, would be really interesting to live in a different part of the country, nice to live closer to Canada, fun to be by mountains and ocean, OT program looks good, etc. What do you like and not like?

Thanksies!!!

Yay for moving to Seattle! I'll take a stab at your questions, but I haven't lived in Seattle in 10 years. My family all still lives there so I'm around a fair amount. When you come for a visit we should have a meetup!

The weather is not that bad. I grew up in Seattle and now live in Bellingham (90 miles north of Seattle). The rain can get kind of annoying, but it doesn't bother me that much. But, I am from here so maybe I'm just used to it? There is weather info here and here

When I was a kid we skied pretty much every weekend at Crystal Mountain. I don't know if it was/is good though. I live near Mt. Baker now (about 90 miles north of Seattle) and it is supposed to be really good for skiing (but I don't really know since I've never gone). A lot of my friends have season passes at Baker every year though. My friends in Seattle who snowboard go to Stevens I think?

I think the traffic is terrible, but that is probably because I've spent my adult life in a smaller town with less traffic. The city doesn't feel that big to me though and I would not want to live in a suburb of Seattle (I think that would make the traffic getting to and from school/work worse?). A lot of my friends in Seattle live on Capitol Hill, my brother and his wife live in West Seattle, and some of my friends live in Ballard and Greenwood. One of my friends lives in Wallingford/Fremont and I really like staying with her because we can walk and get to the bike trail (Burke Gilman) easily. I don't have any idea what commuting is like from any of those places though (sorry!). I don't know much about how much it costs to live near UW now, but when I was in college at Western (in Bellingham) pretty much all of my friends who went to UW lived near-ish to campus. It was affordable but they also lived in sort of crappy apartments.

I'm not too much help (but I am really wordy!), sorry about that. But I do think that Seattle is great. When you come visit you can check out different neighborhoods and get an idea of what you would like. Maybe even attempt the commute to UW from a few you like the most? And eat. A lot of food.

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:41 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Live on Bainbridge Island and be best friends with me! You can commute to Seattle on a ferry like someone out of a cheesy tv show! It only takes 35 minutes and you don't have to drive.

But, seriously:

The weather doesn't bother me at all and I think it's way overhyped. But, like Katie, I grew up here so I'm probably used to it. Our winter has actually been super dry and sunny. It varies from year to year.

I'm not a skier, but my friend's husband went to college in Montana and he's a big skier and seems pretty happy with the mountains around here.

We should definitely have a meetup when you guys visit!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:48 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

This is all so super helpful!! P's currently looking at Bainbridge Island on streetview. : ) Keep the responses coming, I'm loving reading them.

How's the public transport? Cycling?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 754 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 31  Next