| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Waxed cotton...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:08 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

So, I was out shopping yesterday as I need a new jacket or two and I saw a really nice olive-colored waxed cotton sort of military jacket (which I love) and it's like almost ~75% off or whatevs ($50 down from $180). The waxed component is paraffin wax which, I believe is vegan....

I haven't bought the jacket yet, but I really did like it and the price is excellent and it's very well made and all that so I was thinking of going back to get it but I have a concern about the label inside which says I'm not to wash it and not use soap at all, you just dab it with cold water if any grime or stains get on it.

Anyhoo, I got home and googled how to care for the jacket and the internetz had the same story as the label - no washing waxed cotton and no soap.

I'm normally a hygienic person but everyone sweats a bit...I guess my question is, if you own this type of garment, will my accumulated BO become unbearable over time since I can't wash this thing? Please help and let me know if you have waxed cotton garments how you care for them, etc. Thanks for any help!

Post subject: Re: Waxed cotton...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:14 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

It's completely fine not to wash coats/jackets. I air mine out and wipe them down if they get dirty but they don't really need it. Waxed cotton is a pretty resistant material and are really easy to keep clean. I've never had a problem with any of them smelling (including a couple of waxed cotton jackets).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:14 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Awesome, thanks! It seems like a really nice jacket. Light-looking but nice and weighty, like it's warmer than it looks. I'll probably go back and buy it sometime this week. They had a couple in my size on the hangers and I don't expect they'll be flying off the shelves. It seemed like a steal for $50 marked down from $180. I tried it on, liked it, and then got put off by reading the label and seeing I can't wash or dry clean but maybe it won't be a problem. I also read on line you're supposed to re-wax them every year or so. I'm not sure I'll be wearing mine that often, but I guess I should try and find some of the rewaxing material if I do wind up buying it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:16 am 
Not NOT A Furry

here's a link for you. I've never done it but it seems pretty easy it'll just take a while! Maybe we should do it at the same time and see how it goes? ha.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... artt-coat/

The only thing I would say is be careful whats in the wax - cant find ingredients for the filson finish wax.

p.s. if youre a diyer - make your own: http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/read ... _368.shtml

Oh, post a pic of the coat!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:18 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

guy burgess wrote:
here's a link for you. I've never done it but it seems pretty easy it'll just take a while! Maybe we should do it at the same time and see how it goes? ha.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... artt-coat/

The only thing I would say is be careful whats in the wax - cant find ingredients for the filson finish wax.

p.s. if youre a diyer - make your own: http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/read ... _368.shtml

Oh, post a pic of the coat!

Oh...awesome for the links. Yeah, I read when I was researching caring for the material that you just get a jar of this particular wax designed for this fabric and rub it with a soft cloth just while you're in front of the TV or something. I guess it sorted sounded like polishing and buffing shoes. I know the wax in the coat is supposed to be paraffin, but yeah, not sure what's in the re-wax/upkeep stuff. I figure it's some form or t'other of paraffin. Hopefully there's some ingredient list available somewhere.

Thanks for the help. I will post the coat when I go buy it...hopefully some time later this week.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:20 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

guy burgess wrote:

I'd feel like a total bro doing this! Hardcore! Sounds like it makes for an effective finish.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:33 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Well, just to update, because I promised pictures, I didn't buy the jacket. I went yesterday and they were all sold out of my size and there was one left on the rack, but the fit wasn't right and there were discolorations on the material when I looked close.

So, I guess as most people already know, when something you like is marked 75% down, you have to get back to the store quicker than a week later!

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]