| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 170  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:18 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Poopie: I'm sorry things are so rough with sleeping! I know that many here practice attachment parenting, but for us, we had to try something different with sleep after a while. It was fine when Lydia was still young, but once she was over a year old and still couldn't reliably sleep more than 2 or 3 hours at a time, and could only be put to sleep with the boob, I just couldn't take it any longer. So, we did Ferber. It's really not as bad as some make it out to be. The idea is that you leave your baby alone for increasingly longer stretches of time, and the baby will learn to self soothe and go to sleep on their own. It sounds terrible and cruel, but at least in our experience, Lydia was apparently quite ready to sleep on her own because it didn't take that long. Also, even when she cried, with the Ferber method, you still go in there periodically and reassure her. So, she knew that we were still there, and she wasn't abandoned, but that it was time to go to sleep. We had to both get her used to not nursing all night long as well as get her used to falling asleep on her own, and both things were successful. I'm not going to pretend that this solved all our problems, but, it has helped a LOT.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:58 pm 
ol' garly cooch

poopiebitch wrote:
I tried for an hour to get poopiebaby to take a nap, rocking, nursing, singing, laying down... ANYTHING. He wouldn't go to sleep, so now for the first time ever I have left him in his room to cry. I'm crying too and I don't know what to do, but I sure as all fork can't do this anymore.

It was hard for me to walk away and let Blasto do some crying it out. The first night was awful, 15 minutes, the second night was 10, the third 7, by the fourth night, I just heard this thumping sound. He was doing leg lifts to put himself to sleep. He pretty much does it to this day.

What I do to distract myself from the space thing is take a hot shower, go to some other part of the house where I can't hear him as well, I even use ear plugs. Weird thing is I can't hear Mr. J. or Blasto snore, but I can hear Fini if she coughs or cries.

Vent--BLASTO, PLEASE TUCK YOUR WIENER BETWEEN YOUR LEGS WHEN YOU POOP IN THE TOILET AND QUIT PISSING ON THE FLOOR.
Sincerely,
Your Loving Mother Who Hates Cleaning peas.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:18 am 
Married to the wolfman

The Emperor has mostly been sleeping in his own bed for about a month now. He has a cold right now though and I had a seriously shiitake-y day yesterday and needed to lie down in bed at 8 p.m. (so right after his bed time) and I made the mistake of agreeing to let him get in my bed with me to snuggle a little. Our agreement was that when my husband came in, he would move into his own bed. Okay fine. I could kind of use a cuddle too.

Except he (the Emperor) spent the next five hours wiggling, squirming, turning, pushing me, taking my blanket off and on, pressing his face against me in weird ways, pulling my hair (?!) and just generally making a huge nuisance of himself. And when my husband came in? The Emperor had a big fit about being picked up to be put in his own bed so he's still in ours and in order to make space for him on his side of the bed, my husband basically pushed me off the edge of my bed.

I have a horrible eyeball headache/jaw ache caused I'm sure by clenching my jaw which I do when I'm stressed which has basically been my thing for the past 20some hours. I just want to go to sleep and wake up and feel better but I am in so much pain and so totally wide awake now. And it's awful but I am seriously feeling angry towards my sick kid right now for being such a pest to me and not letting me sleep when I really, really need the rest.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:44 am 
Level 7 Vegan

c&s, can you call in sick at work today and rest while the emperor is at daycare? take care of yourself!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:45 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Vent: Why does installing baby gates have to be such an ORDEAL???

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:47 am 
Married to the wolfman

Mitten, it's a great idea (and so damn appealing) but there are only 11 (work) days left between me and maternity leave and I missed a bunch of days last week and the week before... so I gotta be here unless something's really really wrong.

When I went in to kiss the Emperor before leaving for work this morning (gotta do it, can't leave the house without that kiss) he was sleeping at about a 90 degree angle to my husband with his head jammed into my husband's rib cage. Just like he was doing to me last night. That made me feel a little more amused by the whole situation. What is with this guy? Apparently the top of his head needs a snuggle?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:50 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

coldandsleepy wrote:
When I went in to kiss the Emperor before leaving for work this morning (gotta do it, can't leave the house without that kiss) he was sleeping at about a 90 degree angle to my husband with his head jammed into my husband's rib cage. Just like he was doing to me last night. That made me feel a little more amused by the whole situation. What is with this guy? Apparently the top of his head needs a snuggle?

That's how Kai sleeps too! At least, when he's been in bed with me this week because of teething. Either that or he hangs half his body off the edge of the mattress on the floor, with his chest and head on the matress, face down. And he will sleep that way for hours! Go figure.

Actually, when he is in the crib he usually squashes himself right up against the slats. I worried at first but he does it pretty much every night and is fine, so what can u do. I wonder all the time why he sleeps smushing himself against things though.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:54 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

coldandsleepy wrote:
Zantac isn't working...

How much are you taking? My gastro said I could easily take up to 300 mg at once (and more, but to call if I needed more), that it was safe (even pregnant).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:41 pm 
Married to the wolfman

rabidchild wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:
Zantac isn't working...

How much are you taking? My gastro said I could easily take up to 300 mg at once (and more, but to call if I needed more), that it was safe (even pregnant).

Really? I gotta ask my OB about this. The bottle says no more than 150 mg in 24 hours, and while that's enough most days, there are some where that doesn't do shiitake.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:57 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

coldandsleepy wrote:
rabidchild wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:
Zantac isn't working...

Really? I gotta ask my OB about this. The bottle says no more than 150 mg in 24 hours, and while that's enough most days, there are some where that doesn't do shiitake.

I take "Extra strength" Zantac, which is 150 mg, and the bottle says not to exceed 2 tabs in 24 hrs (though I trust the doctor over the bottle, you can DEFINITELY take more than 150 mg/day).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:10 pm 
Married to the wolfman

rabidchild wrote:
I take "Extra strength" Zantac, which is 150 mg, and the bottle says not to exceed 2 tabs in 24 hrs (though I trust the doctor over the bottle, you can DEFINITELY take more than 150 mg/day).

You may have just single handedly halved my daily misery. Thank you for posting!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:17 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I really miss Kai. I was home sick last Thurs & Fri, then off Mon, so we had 5 whole days straight together. You'd think I'd have had my fill and would be ok going back to work, but it seems to be just the opposite. The more time I spend with him, the more I want. :-(

I think he has been taking the separation pretty rough lately too. This morning his dad was taking care of him while I got ready, and I could hear him crying a lot. This sucks.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:20 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Aw, Aubade. Hope things are getting easier for you both <3

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:50 am 
Naked Under Apron

helbury wrote:
So, we did Ferber. It's really not as bad as some make it out to be. The idea is that you leave your baby alone for increasingly longer stretches of time, and the baby will learn to self soothe and go to sleep on their own. It sounds terrible and cruel, but at least in our experience, Lydia was apparently quite ready to sleep on her own because it didn't take that long.

I think it's really only terrible and cruel to do that to a newborn (insert my MIL telling everyone "no night feeds after 5 weeks!" and "don't let your baby manipulate you!") or a younger baby. Sleep training toddlers doesn't seem nearly as bad if you ask me. I mean, I didn't even like Raygold crying during the day when he was a baby; he still cries when I leave the room sometimes, but now that he is 19 months, I don't go running back in as soon as he starts whimpering.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:00 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

The universe is punishing me for posting yesterday in the toddler sleep thread about how Dahlia loves to sleep...last night she must have been wide awake from 2am-6am. I was exhausted anyway so the first time she started crying and standing up in her crib, I did the lazy thing - I got up, turned her sleep turtle/constellation thing on and gave her a sippy cup with a tiny bit of water. She was quiet for about 40min - exactly how long the turtle stays on for, and then she was up again. I went thru the SAME routine, even though it is bad because we really want to move away from her drinking fluids/peeing in a diaper overnight. 40 minutes later, more crying. At this point I am angry and tell her "NO MORE, Mama needs to sleep" and tuck her back in and turn the turtle on again! Third time, she says she has to pee and although it's total bullshiitake since she's wearing a diaper, I get up and have her pee on the potty. (But then put a dry diaper on her, since she still can't be trusted to not just pee in her bed.) Fourth time, she is asking for water and then telling me she has to poop. I start crying and spit up some mucus. She is kinda shocked and settles down again after a futile trip to the bathroom, but at that point, I'm so frustrated I can't sleep and am awoken anyway at 8am by the garbage men.

We go thru phases where my partner and I are like "There's nothing wrong. Just let her cry." But that never lasts, partially because she is about 15 away from our bed so who can sleep through that anyway (although actually Howard actually has). Also, since she's not a baby anymore, her cries are super-loud and violent and I feel guilty about the neighbors hearing.

What.the.fork. I'm an absolute zombie today, if zombies can also be over-emotional and crying at the drop of a hat.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:09 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Hey, I hear you.

I think the Emperor has croup. He has this awful cough... but mostly only at night, only when he's trying to sleep. Aka when I'm trying to sleep. He coughs so badly that he wakes me up and then wakes himself up and then he is super super upset about it and inconsolable and the more he cries, the worse the cough gets and ugh. I feel so bad for him that he feels so crappy but at the same time, I need to sleep and am deteriorating into a huge mess. Last night was the worst so far. I had six hours to sleep in (which was partially my fault because I committed to something stupid that made me stay up an hour late) and was up easily 2 of those hours rubbing his back, getting him to drink sips of water, and just cuddling him.

Please please please universe, let him feel better like really soon, for all of our sakes.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:11 pm 
Grandfathered In

GG was yelling at us two nights ago at 10:30: "I need help relaxing!!"

When Mrs. Face pointed out that yelling wasn't very relaxing, he was unfazed.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

A bunch of kids at Shae's middle school got caught with oxycotin this week. A lot of them are in his friend group. He talked about it all with us and was actually really upset that people he knows do drugs, etc. He showed me his facebook where people were talking about it and told me the names of the kids caught, so I guess I'm just glad he's so comfortable talking to us? And I hope he stays innocent and sweet forever? Please?

So I guess I'm just venting about other peoples kids? And while I'm doing that, let me tell you guys what I found in the bathroom at Target this morning! An infant (maybe 6 months old?) laying on a diaper changer thing NOT BELTED IN, by herself. Her mom was in a stall. I freaked the fork out.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:14 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Kelly wrote:

So I guess I'm just venting about other peoples kids? And while I'm doing that, let me tell you guys what I found in the bathroom at Target this morning! An infant (maybe 6 months old?) laying on a diaper changer thing NOT BELTED IN, by herself. Her mom was in a stall. I freaked the fork out.

Yesterday a car pulled in near me in the grocery store parking lot. A woman was driving, and another woman was in the back holding a baby (also probably 6 months) on her lap. Not in the car seat. I get that some babies cry in the car and would stop if you could just hold them, BUT THE CAR SEAT IS NOT OPTIONAL!! I was/am upset.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:47 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Jeez Kelly, I know it happens but I still just can hardly imagine such young kids doing drugs. How sad. Thank goodness Shae told you all about it and isn't doing it too.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:12 am 
Grandfathered In

Christmas lists! Christmas lists! Christmas lists!

At the top of GG's Christmas list (posted on the fridge) is a big, no-longer-available-in-stores Lego set. Mrs. face bit the bullet, found a buyer, and ordered it. (It just came today.) It was expensive. Very expensive. But it's on the top of his list, and besides this thing, he'll be getting a bunch of little stuff.

Today, when he comes home from a friend's, he announces that he's thinking of putting something else in the top spot and crossing off what had been there. He sets about researching this new decision.

I can't say anything. I can't give away what was already bought. I can't tell him not to change his list. I can't really do anything except pretend there's some way to avoid having this blow up in our faces.

This is messed up, kid.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:22 am 
And you never will.

When I was a kid my parents made me and my siblings turn in a final Christmas list by December 10th, after which point nothing could be added, removed, or changed. I thought it was SO UNFAIR at the time, but now I totally see why they did it (especially with five kids!).

He'll still love the Lego set.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:20 am 
Nooch of Earl

After GG gets the set and starts building it he'll forget all about whatever he put on top of it on the list...Unless the new list topper is the Pet Shop or Robie House, which are at the top of mine and objectively awesome. ;)

But really, learning to accept gifts graciously is part of life. I had a year where I didn't do that so much. I was kind of a shiitake that year. I cringe at it now. But I learned to be less of a shiitake.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:46 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We always told Shae you can't change at the end. Make up some excuse that fits in with whatever he believes about Santa, etc. Shae used to try this crepe every year and it's so annoying. Don't let it stress you out. Just make it clear to him that toys that are purchased or made by elves can't be changed. He'll be stoked about the lego set when the time comes I'm sure!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:35 pm 
Grandfathered In

He better like it. All he can talk about for now are the changes to his list.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 4229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 170  Next