| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Successfully appealing a citation
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:59 pm 
Waited in a line late at night for some stuff

I know we had a thread about this back on Old PPK, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on appealing a citation. There was apparently street cleaning on our street this morning, but we never heard about this, and I'm 99% sure the signs notifying residents of this weren't posted yesterday at 3 PM when we left. That means the signs were put up with less than a day's notice, when they're supposed to be put up at least one work day in advance(which would've been Friday).
I'm thinking I'll quote this page which gives the amount of time required to warn people of street cleaning. Is there anything else I can use in my favor? I checked the signs after we got the tickets and one of them has fallen half off, but I don't think that'll help my case.

Edited to cut up a ridiculously long sentence.

Post subject: Re: Successfully appealing a citation
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:20 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Can you ask other people on your street about it? I bet if you get statements that the signs were not up for a week from other people it might back you up, or if other people got citations. Maybe someone will be like "dude they've been up all week, gosh" (but I hope not).
I've never appealed a citation before, good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:29 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

it's literally been decades since i appealed a citation, but just showing up and having good public manners and being able to speak intelligently seems to count for a lot- my citation got dumped pretty much just because I asked. it's worth a try, and whatever documentation you can get will certainly help. Can you call up the city dept in charge of putting up the signs all innocent-like and find out when the signs were put up?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:29 pm 

I actually don't know any of my neighbors anymore. All the people we knew moved out in August and we mostly hide from the huge terrifying parties they throw.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:34 pm 

torque wrote:
it's literally been decades since i appealed a citation, but just showing up and having good public manners and being able to speak intelligently seems to count for a lot- my citation got dumped pretty much just because I asked. it's worth a try, and whatever documentation you can get will certainly help. Can you call up the city dept in charge of putting up the signs all innocent-like and find out when the signs were put up?

Unfortunately, no. I called and basically I'm supposed to file an appeal online/mail it in and then they'll check the time the signs were posted, so it's unlikely I'll ever see anyone in person about this. I have no idea what to do if they say the signs were posted well in advance--I can MAYBE buy that we missed them yesterday, but Friday I walked right by the pole where they stapled their sign and I would swear in court it wasn't there.