| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: The playground Holiday gift thread
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:31 pm 
Inflexitarian

What'd you all get your kids?

Zola is getting:
A ukulele!
and
a doctor dress up kit

Felix is getting:
A fold and go castle
and
20 hotwheels

Post subject: Re: The playground Holiday gift thread
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:49 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Those are such great gifts! I can't wait until Inez is old enough for fun stuff like that.

This year she's getting: music stuff (a little drum, a set of orchestra shaker things, a bell), some Helen Oxenbury board books, sensory balls, a little toy car, a giant plush bulldog that she fell in love with in Target (it was so cute! she saw it and just started clapping and laughing and reaching out to hug it) and a nice canvas toy sorter for her room (kiiiiind of more for me, but whatev). I really wanted to get her one of those pop up tunnels, but they all say 3+. Boo.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:42 pm 

I tried not to get too much, but I think I failed lol. I love toys! So I got him a balance bike, sprig blocks, 2 cd's, a couple board books, and this rocket:

He probably will hardly use the bike and rocket for a few more months, but at least he'll be set until next year!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:06 pm 
And you never will.

Peter is getting some cars from my sister and a sock monkey and a shopping cart from my parents. We (and the UK grandparents who sent us money) are giving him:

These little chunky books:

These sensory balls:

Crayons and drawing pads:

And this baby doll and push chair:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:16 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

we got our 3 year old son totem tennis, a kick-board for swimming, a space hopper, a mini keyboard and a little teepee shaped play tent. he will be stoked. we didn't plan on getting him so many things, but we were so under budget, that we kept getting things. we are still under budget, which is good, because i spent way more than i should have on some perfume for me ;P

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:21 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I bought my girls (ages 6 and 3) a lithography set and a lot of art supplies, they do art ALL THE TIME

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:34 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The Emperor is getting:

Some socks
Some underwear

His big present are these dishes for his play kitchen:

Dishes!

Though I think it's a slightly different set that also has another saute pan in it.

He'll also get some more bubble bath.

And if I can get my act together, I am going to make a couple of little pieces of clothing for his baby doll because I think he'd really dig that.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:35 am 
Grandfathered In

I don't want to talk about it.

(This situation has only intensified. Some info has leaked. His Christmas is "ruined.")

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:53 am 

Oh, blergh. That's no fun, Footie. I hope he comes around.

I forgot! I also got her a set of German language alphabet blocks. I'm pretty excited for those.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:43 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Grey is getting a wagon (which I am dreaming of the day he can sit in it and I can pull him around the farmers market). Some toys from my parents, my brother got him some rubber mats since we have hardwood floors and they are more grippy so maybe one day he will learn to crawl, he got a bunch more clothes, some stuffed animals and a high chair. Mstly everything is not really fun and more useful since he doesn't know what Christmas is yet. I also knitted him a stocking.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:53 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Ezra is getting this robot from this store on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SnowMachine?ref=seller_info

These wooden trucks:

I also have to stop by the local discount store and get him a new coloring book and some crayons - the kid loves to color and goes through his supplies at a ridiculous rate.

And I also picked him up a handmade toy broom, because he absolutely loves helping me clean around the house (we also just started reading the first Harry Potter book to him, and he is completely transfixed by the image of Harry flying on the broom on the cover. It's going to be crazy.)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:27 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Wow, I am a cheap jerk. All I got the kid was a (small) set of sprig blocks. Which I paid for with a gift certificate.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:51 am 
Nooch of Earl

We're not doing a whole lot for Vi this year, because she's the first grandkid on both sides and I know my MIL is going nuts, plus she's too young to understand it anyway.

But we got her a little xylophone:

12 days of Christmas socks from Zulily:

And maybe some books (my favorite kind of present). Actually these weren't really ordered as Christmas presents, and they may not even arrive on time (we do a giant order of Dutch books and videos once every year or so, so some of the Dutch ones might just get saved for later depending on how advanced they look).

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Videos...actually these will probably get saved for a year or two anyway as well, she's too young for DVDs really but she does like the music from them and the "Kerst" is a Christmas one. We'll see:
ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:57 am 

Flava that robot is so cute!! Now I want one of those too, to go with his rocket. (the books I got him are about robots and space to go with it) But I will resist!

Zola's ukelele is really cool too.

My friend brought Kai washabale markers and coloring books for xmas yesterday. The 1st thing he did was put it in his mouth and color his tongue green. haha I guess he isn't ready for coloring yet!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:56 am 
Married to the wolfman

littlebear wrote:
Grey is getting a wagon (which I am dreaming of the day he can sit in it and I can pull him around the farmers market).

That is what the Emperor got for Christmas last year (from his grandparents, because they asked us what we wanted them to get him) and that is primarily what we use it for!

Mitten, last year we seriously got the Emperor a bouncy ball and some bubble bath. That plus the wagon from his grandparents = his Christmas haul. I think that was just about perfect for a one year old.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:57 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Reno is getting a Princess Tent that she can stand up in (standing up in it is very important to her), lots of books and a stamp kit.

Miles is getting an activity center that has that rollercoaster looking thing with bead that they can move all about and an Ugly Doll.

They both will be getting a shiitake TON of stuff from my family and in laws. I'm not happy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:13 am 
Inflexitarian

FootFace wrote:

(This situation has only intensified. Some info has leaked. His Christmas is "ruined.")

Oh shiitake! That sucks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:32 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I made H a little quilt and pillow case. He's getting some Ziggy Marley CDs, books, and tons of cars. Very spoiled but he loves to play cars. Oh and homemade playdough too. Should be fun.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:41 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

mittenmacher wrote:
Wow, I am a cheap jerk.

Me too. We bought her a bunch of socks (where in the world do they go??), but that's it. My excuse is that my daughter is too young to understand presents and I'm waiting to see what gifts she gets from other people, and then I'll see if there are any toys or books that look good at the after-Christmas sales. My family tends to go overboard buying gifts, so I'm sure she'll get a TON from grandparents and aunts....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:46 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Silas is getting this as his big gift
He almost got that same little castle, Keenie, but we found a great deal on the firehouse instead.

and I can't say what Shae is getting because he's nosy and last year he tried to spy on the gift thread!

We kind of go nuts at Christmas and buy more than we should, mostly clearance shopping along the way. I feel like a total over-consuming beast reading how sensible you all are.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:39 pm 
Semen Strong

keen_on_quinoa wrote:
FootFace wrote:

Oh shiitake! That sucks.

I am so sorry FFace. That really is awful. Do you have a sense of how you're going to handle it?

Leela isn't getting anything from us. She is 8 wks old and pretty much just discovered her fists. She's not getting anything from our families either because we're just not that into one another.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:14 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Tofulish wrote:
keen_on_quinoa wrote:
FootFace wrote:

Oh shiitake! That sucks.

I am so sorry FFace. That really is awful. Do you have a sense of how you're going to handle it?

Leela isn't getting anything from us. She is 8 wks old and pretty much just discovered her fists. She's not getting anything from our families either because we're just not that into one another.

Just put a bow on your boob!

Also I wish all of you were my parents when I was little.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:20 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Tofulish wrote:

That is sane! (Of you, not your family. How could anyone be not that into Leela?!)

The Emperor was a hair under 3 months for his first Christmas and we got him literally nothing that year. His paternal grandparents went a little crazy (first Christmas for first grandchild) and got him a slew of small random presents. That didn't bother me... made them happy and it was sweet... buuuuut I don't regret not getting him anything that year myself.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:34 pm 
Semen Strong

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Just put a bow on your boob!

I would, but my husband would almost certainly think it was for him...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:43 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I'd say we are lucky because we have TOO many people buying presents for Dahlia (I have 4 brothers and sisters who dote on her, though they never get to see her + my mom is a crazy Christmas person) so frankly, I don't think we're getting her anything. Wait, actually I bought her that Eating the Alphabet book and I'll save that for Christmas. Basically, we will get about 20 different things in the mail from relatives and about half of them we will give her on Christmas, and the rest we will hand out here and there over the next few months - til her birthday in May, when a slew of new gifts will arrive.

I know for sure my mom bought her one of those Calico Critters dollhouses (but the small cottage one). We just have zero room for more stuff ugh; I have to go through the toys she already has and put some up in the crawlspace to save for newbaby. Plus I tend to buy her stuff kinda randomly all year, like the mini-kick scooter we paid too much for a couple months ago.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next