| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: High Blood Pressure
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:47 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I know . . . eff my life, I totally have high blood pressure.

I've been vegan for nearly ten years and vegetarian for seven years before that and I've ALWAYS had normal to slightly below normal blood pressure - despite my affinity for salty foods. I attributed my fine blood pressure health to the sans animal diet and being somewhat active here and there.

Anyway, my blood pressure has steadily been on the rise in my late twenties due to my creeping inability to deal with stress, but still within the healthy range. Well it's in the pre-hypertension range now, all thanks to new medication I'm on (Adderall - no, I am not going to stop taking it at this point in my life!).

So I am thinking I need to start gradually consuming less salt, because I am pretty sure I consume way more than I need to . . . Any pointers?

And oh yeah, it's time to start exercising again.

Who else can empathize? Any words of wisdom?

Post subject: Re: High Blood Pressure
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:51 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

if you smoke, QUIT! I too have a hard on for salt. Other suggestions that usually get posted say to make sure your food is well spiced. lemon juice gets brought up a lot too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:48 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

If the Adderall is what's causing the rise in blood pressure, are you sure that a dietary change will do anything? Might you ask your doctor about something to counteract the effect of the Adderall?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:05 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I find yoga supper calming. And the breathing techniques and breath awareness I've learned from my yoga class have helped me realize when I'm starting to stress or freak out and calm myself down. So, maybe consider trying out a yoga class? I think some yoga poses are also probably good for lowering blood pressure. A good yoga teacher should be able to point you to which posses would be most beneficial for you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:50 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I am 75% positive it's the Adderall. I haven't changed my diet or fitness routine (which is nonexistent!) lately. I am extremely stressed with Bar exam studies, but not more so than I usually am.

I do actually have anxiety and was medicated for it, but I stopped taking the prescriptions associated with it, under my doctor's supervision - because the somnolence side effect was too much for me to function normally. So I am fairly sure the Adderall has exacerbated my anxiety (and it just physiologically increases my cardiovascular vitals as it tends to do), as my doctor warned it would . . .

I actually just bought a few lemons per this thread and I'm going to try to incorporate more of it, less of salt and see if that suits me! I don't smoke and I rarely drink anymore (although alcohol might possibly help, haha, I dunno!). My BMI is around 20, I think, so I'm not medically overweight . . .

You know, yoga sounds like a great idea. I failed at it when I tried nearly a decade ago, but I think it would be a nice activity to low my blood pressure and help dispose of some of that free-floating stress.

I think I'll make an appointment with my doctor perchance these things not work.

Thanks for the suggestions! I never considered the lemon and yoga thing, for real.