| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tofutti Better than Ricotta
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:05 pm 
Chard Martyr

Is there a thread on this already? I couldn't find one.

I bought some today and it is WEIRD. The texture is all kinds of wrong. It's very spongy, almost like frozen tofu. Definitely not suitable for eating plain (which I used to like to do with dairy ricotta). however, I found some reviews online and apparently it melts well, so that's promising. I'll have to make a lasagna with it and see what happens.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Tofutti Better than Ricotta
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Awww, I was wondering about it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:25 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

The guy who does the Vegan Zombie cooking show posted about buying some and he also said it was weird.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:26 pm 
protein lump

i haven't seen it around here yet, but i want to try it!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:39 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm intrigued! Like I am by every weird vegan thing that comes down the pike. Does it taste gross or is it mostly a texture thing?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:45 pm 
Chard Martyr

it doesn't taste like much, but it has a sort of cheesy taste. it's hard to think about the taste with that texture though.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:02 pm 
Mediocre Tart

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I'll have to make a lasagna with it and see what happens.

This is funny to me because for always I thought the V'con spinach lasagne with tofu ricotta was a "weird" vegan thing (though amazing and awesome and I love it) where it was made up and people wouldn't actually put real ricotta in lasagne in omni life but I just googled it and it turns out it's a true thing sometimes!

eta: I don't mean that in a negative way! It's just quite a different kind of lasagne to what I have always known!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:02 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I love the tofu ricotta that Rising Moon Organics uses in their vegan line of pasta dishes. I wish they sold it separately as a retail product.

bird noises | book of faces

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:41 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

interrobang?! wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

This is funny to me because for always I thought the V'con spinach lasagne with tofu ricotta was a "weird" vegan thing (though amazing and awesome and I love it) where it was made up and people wouldn't actually put real ricotta in lasagne in omni life but I just googled it and it turns out it's a true thing sometimes!

eta: I don't mean that in a negative way! It's just quite a different kind of lasagne to what I have always known!

Are you one of those people who grew up with cottage cheese in lasagna? Because that is super wrong. Sorry. Ricotta all the way! (vegan ricotta, anyway.)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:44 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

ashley wrote:
Are you one of those people who grew up with cottage cheese in lasagna? Because that is super wrong. Sorry. Ricotta all the way! (vegan ricotta, anyway.)

Seriously, people do that? My mom made killer lasagne and the ricotta was the best part!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:46 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yes, people do that! It blew my mind the first time I heard about it. Apparently it's a (maybe regional?) thing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:10 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

My mom used cottage cheese because ricotta was more expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:28 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

bunniee wrote:
I love the tofu ricotta that Rising Moon Organics uses in their vegan line of pasta dishes. I wish they sold it separately as a retail product.

Prima cotta. Agree agree agree.

Also, ricotta that melts? Dairy ricotta doesn't melt. So that's super weird to me.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:30 am 
Chard Martyr

ashley wrote:
interrobang?! wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

I'm guessing she's talking about just using mozz in lasagna, not ricotta or cottage cheese. I think cottage cheese was just a more accessible, lower fat option instead of ricotta.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:38 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

ashley wrote:
interrobang?! wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

I could be wrong, but I think the ricotta in lasagna is a North American thing. I grew up with it, but when I recently showed a pic of vegan lasagna with tofu ricotta to some folks (both vegan and non-vegan) over here, they didn't get what the "crumbly stuff" was. Thinking about it, I realized that all the lasagna I've seen on this side of the Atlantic is usually made with bechamel instead of ricotta.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:38 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

lepelaar wrote:
I could be wrong, but I think the ricotta in lasagna is a North American thing. I grew up with it, but when I recently showed a pic of vegan lasagna with tofu ricotta to some folks (both vegan and non-vegan) over here, they didn't get what the "crumbly stuff" was. Thinking about it, I realized that all the lasagna I've seen on this side of the Atlantic is usually made with bechamel instead of ricotta.

Just what I was going to say. Ricotta and mozzarella in lasagna is a very Italian-American (North American?) thing.

Personally, I'm not picky about my lasagna. I don't care if it's a ricotta-style filling or a béchamel sauce. I like 'em all. I'll have to keep my eyes out for this tofutti!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:05 pm 
Mediocre Tart

helbury wrote:
lepelaar wrote:

Just what I was going to say. Ricotta and mozzarella in lasagna is a very Italian-American (North American?) thing.

Personally, I'm not picky about my lasagna. I don't care if it's a ricotta-style filling or a béchamel sauce. I like 'em all. I'll have to keep my eyes out for this tofutti!

Yes, lasagne here would just be bolognese and bechamel sauce (though I think my mum used to put cheddar on the top of hers), I had never heard of putting ricotta in it until V'con (and mozzarella and cottage cheese are new to me today!) Definitely seems to be an Italian-American thing!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:19 pm 
Chard Martyr

interrobang?! wrote:
Yes, lasagne here would just be bolognese and bechamel sauce
Oh god, bechamel sauce in lasagna is the BEST. I've only had that at fancier restaurants in the city, pregan, and it was amazing. I was all "oh holy hell what is this divine taste?"

For everyday lasagna, though, ricotta was involved and the tofu ricotta in Isa's books is pretty great.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:29 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I always had ricotta between the layers and mozz on top growing up, from my Italian-American grandmothers. I didn't know there was a different way.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:52 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I have a tub of the stuff sitting in my fridge. I was thinking of making V'con pumpkin ziti with it. Now the melting thing has me a little concerned.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:58 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Someone take a picture of it! I don't know why, but I feel like if I see it I'll know if I like it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:01 pm 
Chard Martyr

here, this is from one of the reviews I found http://ieatfood.net/2011/12/07/tofutti- ... ew-recipe/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:02 pm 
Chard Martyr

fatcat wrote:
I have a tub of the stuff sitting in my fridge. I was thinking of making V'con pumpkin ziti with it. Now the melting thing has me a little concerned.

i haven't had it melted yet, but there's no way you'd want it if it didn't melt.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:07 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

oh. ew.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:10 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I don't even understand how to use bechamel instead of ricotta (maybe in addition to); ricotta fills up the layers! If you use bechamel, does that just mean you have to use a lot of other stuff for volume? (Whereas you could just do ricotta and tomato sauce if you wanted). Or is it just a totally different style of lasagna that's flatter?

I don't know about this Tofutti. I feel like I'm pretty set with Isa's tofu-cashew ricotta.

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next